Peacocks To Close?

Manx1Bloke

Shopping has really gone to h3ll in a handcart !

There seems to be a general question as to where the more mature people (ladies) have left to shop for clothing, most of the shops cater for teens and trendy fashion stuff, even M&S has gone from being the prime choice years ago to now being mostly younger stuff, and Bonmarche, which I believe is closing too, seems to have been one which did cater for more mature customers.

Choice in mens clothing and shoes seem to me to be in a similar situation, looking at shoe shops there seems to be a preponderance of velcro or slip-ons, pointy toes like circus clowns, cr4p trainers with hard soles, boots for truckers or steeplejacks, ~ just where have traditional comfortable shoes all gone ?

I occasionally have a quick look in Peacocks but fail to see anything anyone (men) over 20 would be seen dead wearing.

Clothing shops who do have a mens department seem to be limited to a few racks tucked away in a corner under the stairs whereas all the ladies, yoofs, teens, kids and tatty ripped jeans and hoodies take over the rest of the floor space.

TKMaxx is more like a jumble sale with stuff strewn on the floor and not in a saleable condition as it would need laundering before use which isn't reflected in the price tags.

What is available tends to have an extra digit on the price tag over what it is realistically worth :lol:

Just now and again you spot a little gem which slipped past the trendy buyers' filter so is quickly snapped up as a worthy addition to the wardrobe :lol:

Don't you just miss Osborns and Whitestone Leisure now :(

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly, I just don't see M&S having any particular targetted market, for women's clothing anyway, and I do love TKMaxx for buying lamps, cooking things and to-die-for-baby frilly frocks.

You say M&S is now for younger people, my younger ones would be hard pushed to find anything in there. Of course it's undies central for most folk. It's too boring for them, and quite honestly, it's too boring for me too.

Tynwald Mills seems the best bet for women's clothes on the island. Darned pricey though and their shoe prices are beyond a joke.

They're not in Strand Street of course.

There seems to be a general question as to where the more mature people (ladies) have left to shop for clothing, most of the shops cater for teens and trendy fashion stuff, even M&S has gone from being the prime choice years ago to now being mostly younger stuff, and Bonmarche, which I believe is closing too, seems to have been one which did cater for more mature customers.

Looney's of Ramsey is OK for the general riff-raff such as myself, very good suits can be made for you in Douglas if you're planning on getting married or buried.

Can't buy shoes in Ramsey any more (apparently the last shop has shut), I remember when there were three shoe shops.

Looney's of Ramsey is OK for the general riff-raff such as myself, very good suits can be made for you in Douglas if you're planning on getting married or buried.

Can't buy shoes in Ramsey any more (apparently the last shop has shut), I remember when there were three shoe shops.

the last few times I have been in Looneys they had the same selection of sizes, S, M and XXXL

nothing suitable sad.png

I obviously have the advantage of being normal :)

Also as I work as home it's very much jeans, jumper, t-shirt and boots type stuff. Only put on formal clothes for funerals...

the last few times I have been in Looneys they had the same selection of sizes, S, M and XXXL

nothing suitable :(

Lets all look on the bright side of life, when Strand Street is fully deserted our great film industry will be able to shoot some spaghetti westerns with the cowboy, most MHKs could audition strolling down the street twirling his gun and looking for snipers, MF members could audition but Kate and Zac are up for these parts, then we could become Manx Hollywood and all our troubles would be over.

nothing suitable sad.png

I obviously have the advantage of being normal smile.png

Also as I work as home it's very much jeans, jumper, t-shirt and boots type stuff. Only put on formal clothes for funerals...

there's just a 'gap in the market' for L and XL size jumpers ! or are they all sold out as soon as new stock arrives ?

didn't your mum teach you to take your boots off in the house :lol:

(also you have a pm)

Talking of stuff being difficult to get, I was in the Co-op earlier and someone was looking for soap. "Sorry" said the manager. "We don't sell it anymore". "What? Why not?" asked the bewildered customer. "No call for it" was the surprising response.

Which raises doubts about his personal hygiene...... I won't ask!

Talking of stuff being difficult to get, I was in the Co-op earlier and someone was looking for soap. "Sorry" said the manager. "We don't sell it anymore". "What? Why not?" asked the bewildered customer. "No call for it" was the surprising response.

Small Co-Op in Ramsey haven't done it in ages. You'd think such a basic thing would be readily available in such a store. Having said that, there are plenty of soap dodgers roaming the streets so maybe there really isn't that much demand.

I have to say that I like the larger Co-op in Ramsey but some of the checkout staff sometimes look quite unkempt and scruffy. Maybe they need to discount the soap and shampoo? ermm.gif

Puts me off a bit and I usually head for the cleanest looking checkout person.

I would just love to sort the Co-op, Shoprite and their staff out. How hard can it be?

Just noticed in this report: http://uk.reuters.co...E80F0OZ20120116 that Bonmarche are part of ther same group, which could mean another empty shop in Strand Street.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/bonmarche_earmarked_for_closure_1_4243757

DOUGLAS womenswear shop Bonmarché is earmarked for closure – with the owners blaming difficult trading conditions.

The Strand Street outlet currently has a closing down sale and is one of 160 across the British Isles due to shut, with the loss of some 1,600 jobs.

In a statement, the company said: ‘Isle of Man Bonmarché store is currently earmarked for closure.

‘The decline in customer spend in the current economic climate, coupled with rising costs has made trading very difficult in this area. However, such stores are being constantly reviewed and careful consideration given. We are in discussions with landlords and councils to reduce costs and improve town amenities. We are looking at the convenience of the customer and the distance she will have to travel to an open store.’

Bonmarché has been open in Strand Street for almost four years, and employs nine staff, seven of whom are part-time.

Archived