Peacocks To Close?

Manx1Bloke

Telegraph says

Peacocks, the clothing retailer, could be placed into administration as early as Monday after talks with banks about a possible debt “haircut” appeared to have reached an impasse.

at least there will be some other quality fashion outlets left....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The internet is killing the high street.

Link to the Telegraph headline

The internet currently accounts for maybe 10% of retail sales; what is now adversely affecting high street retail are the 'big box' stores that locate on the periphery of urban centers, which seems to be pretty much what you are advocating only I doubt they would pass on any savings to competitors!

I completely forgot about shopiom.com

Just a pity that there isn't a massive warehouse retailer on the island that is able to bulk buy and pass on the savings to the shops, who make a small profit and therefore sell goods cheaper than before.

BBC business just said they have debts of £240million and that whilst talks are still continuing it could be closed down as early as tomorrow (Tuesday)...I wonder if they have paid their local rents in advance to Strand/Shoprite ?? Could there be some sell-off bargains to come??

Another shop I never frequented going bust. I swear that only shops that I actually visit stay in business these days... I'm shocked I tell thee, shocked!

PS, when's HMV going bust? Their shares are worth around 3p at the min...

The internet currently accounts for maybe 10% of retail sales; what is now adversely affecting high street retail are the 'big box' stores that locate on the periphery of urban centers, which seems to be pretty much what you are advocating only I doubt they would pass on any savings to competitors!

Going to pull you up on this one as it's too vague.

You can blame the fall of High Street on Increasing Rents, Increasing Business Rates, Out of town retail or shopping centres and in town parking fees.Internet shopping continues to grow despite the current economy. And due to rising living costs customers are getting wise to High Street prices and just not buying cheap imported tat in abundance like we used to.

Combine this with a rapid decline in house sales due to unrealistic property prices and limited mortgages, purchase of in house furnishings and fixtures have also plummeted. Knock on effect after knock on effect.

I've been a little vague in my reply admittedly, but I can't help but feel your blame of big box stores is a vague dig re: Pets@Home and a potential Currys/PC World either.

Archived