New Corpy Houses On New Cassletown Road

Snowflake

There is no accounting for taste. Some people are just never happy, so they look a little different!

Who cares, different is good change is good if everything was the same life would be very dull and boring

If you dont like em dont live in em, simples

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no accounting for taste. Some people are just never happy, so they look a little different!

Who cares, different is good change is good if everything was the same life would be very dull and boring

If you dont like em dont live in em, simples

Agree with you,it has to be said the real eyesore is the unimaginative corpy boxes on the other side of the road

... I'm pretty sure the castle was already there when the monks at Rushen Abbey wrote the Chronicles of Mann, so I don't suppose it was noted down anywhere.

since called in Chronicle, under year 1376, 'Villa Castelli' a good surmise - there was very unlikely to be a town pre castle as the Castle was built on a defensive dry bit of gravel surrounded by bog (bits of C'town still known as bog garden etc until 18th C) - the town grew to service the castle which prossibly took its name from the Abbey but there is much conjecture around this (much the same way Ballasalla grew to service the Abbey

In Profile of Castletown by Derek Winterbottom, he writes: "...it is likely that people made their homes near what is now the beach at Derbyhaven from Mesolithic times", (c.10,000 to 5000 BCE), and, "close to the Dumb river on the outskirts of Castletown there was an Iron Age round house taking the form of two concentric circles about 180ft across. The outer ring a stockade for animals and the inner ring the main house constructed with brushwood and wattle walls supported by wooden posts and boasting a central fire-hearth made of marble slabs", (model of this in the Manx Museum).

Following the colonisation of the IOM by the Vikings at the end of the 9th century, there was all the pomp around the ship-burial of the Viking warrior at Balladoole. From this, I would imagine that there had to have been some sort of significant settlement there as, according to Sir David Wilson, the buried viking must have been an important first generation Norse settler in the Island. Fascinating stuff. I would love to time-travel!

No, Merkin, I was talking about the two houses left standing right in the middle that are corpy houses. They really stand out like sore thumbs now. I would imagine that if you were a private builder, you would have to build something in keeping with any surrounding properties, but seeing some of the eyesores that have been built recently, this has not been taken into account.

No, Merkin, I was talking about the two houses left standing right in the middle that are corpy houses. They really stand out like sore thumbs now. I would imagine that if you were a private builder, you would have to build something in keeping with any surrounding properties, but seeing some of the eyesores that have been built recently, this has not been taken into account.

The solution to that is to demolish the 2 out dated Corpy houses and ask the developer to construct 2 replacement units.

Surely your not suggesting that the Corpy eyesores be used as the bench mark for new development

The solution to that is to demolish the 2 out dated Corpy houses and ask the developer to construct 2 replacement units.

Surely your not suggesting that the Corpy eyesores be used as the bench mark for new development

That is exactly what they need to do, demolish the old ones and rebuild to match in with the new builds. It's just that they stand out so much. Where I lived across, they built some new, victorian style layout houses in the early 70's. They were terraced, spacious inside, but had no garden and a car park for the residents. Cutting edge design soon became 'The Rabbit Hutches' and after the poor fools in them bought them, they found them impossible to sell on, as nobody liked the look of them. The council rubbed their hands in glee, glad to be rid of them.

So, a nicer, more contemporary design and blend the old ones in, in my obviously pointless opinion, would have been better.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you mean Castletown Road? Castletown, because it is a town with a castle, not a town with a cassle.

(ETA: Come on, people, make some efforts with your posts.....)

easy mistake, according to Marc Tiley on Manx Radio it is a Carsal and Sulby is Sowby.

tiley had eddie izzard as a voice coach, irritating voice if ever there was , nearly as bad a scousers.

The best one is when he refers to Ian Cottier as if his surname was French. Good presenter though.

Them houses by that new estate arnt corporation houses, there private!

The first new ones in Upper Pulrose built by Dandara are nearly ready for occupation,the apartments lower down already have people in them,some of the houses have solar panels as well,it looks like the Corpy are coming into the 21st century at last.

The first new ones in Upper Pulrose built by Dandara are nearly ready for occupation,the apartments lower down already have people in them,some of the houses have solar panels as well,it looks like the Corpy are coming into the 21st century at last.

Good to hear!

I assume you mean Castletown Road? Castletown, because it is a town with a castle, not a town with a cassle.

(ETA: Come on, people, make some efforts with your posts.....)

easy mistake, according to Marc Tiley on Manx Radio it is a Carsal and Sulby is Sowby.

tiley had eddie izzard as a voice coach, irritating voice if ever there was , nearly as bad a scousers.

The best one is when he refers to Ian Cottier as if his surname was French. Good presenter though.

Kotcher? or Gotye? Marc Tiley is a local lad from my neck of the woods, so that might explain my faux pas!

Fascinating stuff. I would love to time-travel!

Pop over to our house for tea one night this week. I'm convinced our new place is a Tardis of some kind. Since Sunday when we moved in, it's gone forward 2 days in time. And I thought I was just adjusting the thermostat!

Archived