New Corpy Houses On New Cassletown Road

Snowflake

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are modern, that is all. The wooden facia on those Dandara flats on the Quay look like shit already, derrr, we live by the seeeeeeea, it's water is salty, who wants to varnish their facia every year?

Hi Lonan :)

Any one know what castletown was called before it was castletown?

Town.

Construction of Castle Rushen is thought to have taken place during the late 12th century/early 13th century. Prior to having a castle, the town must have had a different name before becoming Balley Chashtal. I'm pretty sure the castle was already there when the monks at Rushen Abbey wrote the Chronicles of Mann, so I don't suppose it was noted down anywhere. Interesting thought!

They are modern, that is all. The wooden facia on those Dandara flats on the Quay look like shit already, derrr, we live by the seeeeeeea, it's water is salty, who wants to varnish their facia every year?

There is no problem with wood cladding on the island normally, assuming the correct timber and fixings are specified.

Looks like Dandara has used the wrong fixings, which have stained the surrounded timber. Hopefully, for the development and for everyone that has to look at it, the timber will silver down and it will be less noticeable.

As for the new first time buyers I think they are a hell of a lot better than Dadara's usual boxes. I'd happily accept one if offered, the only thing I don't like is the choice of dark wood effect uPVC front doors, a light oak effect would have worked much better.

I assume you mean Castletown Road? Castletown, because it is a town with a castle, not a town with a cassle.

(ETA: Come on, people, make some efforts with your posts.....)

easy mistake, according to Marc Tiley on Manx Radio it is a Carsal and Sulby is Sowby.

tiley had eddie izzard as a voice coach, irritating voice if ever there was , nearly as bad a scousers.

As it's south, I'd call it the 'Reynoldsway Estate', with roads called:

Fiddlefigure Lane

Spendthrift Avenue

Baggageshirker Lane

Millstone Avenue

Fleeced Street

Dunnus Avenue

Madethatup Avenue

Prices starting at £50M. House numbers in each road going from 1 to 2,000,000 eventually (honest!)

I assume you mean Castletown Road? Castletown, because it is a town with a castle, not a town with a cassle.

easy mistake, according to Marc Tiley on Manx Radio it is a Carsal and Sulby is Sowby.

'easy', only if you have absolutely no knowledge at all of the IOM, and even then, common sense would dictate it was more likely to be Castletown than Cassletown. I find it quite staggering that someone posting on MF really doesn't know that there is a town with that name on the Island....(I can forgive 'Carsal' because it's only someone trying to pronounce castle in a posh way but Cassle is just silly!)

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once:

It was a typo and I couldn't find out how to change it!!!!

Castletown,

Castletown,

Castletown,

Castletown,

Castletown, x 100

and by blending in, I meant with the two houses at the front, post war style ones, or are they knocking them down and replacing them?

'easy', only if you have absolutely no knowledge at all of the IOM, and even then, common sense would dictate it was more likely to be Castletown than Cassletown. I find it quite staggering that someone posting on MF really doesn't know that there is a town with that name on the Island....(I can forgive 'Carsal' because it's only someone trying to pronounce castle in a posh way but Cassle is just silly!)

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once:

It was a typo and I couldn't find out how to change it!!!!

Castletown,

Castletown,

Castletown,

Castletown,

Castletown, x 100

and by blending in, I meant with the two houses at the front, post war style ones, or are they knocking them down and replacing them?

OK

OK

OK

OK

OK X 100 I hear you, its Cassletownermm.gif

... I'm pretty sure the castle was already there when the monks at Rushen Abbey wrote the Chronicles of Mann, so I don't suppose it was noted down anywhere.

since called in Chronicle, under year 1376, 'Villa Castelli' a good surmise - there was very unlikely to be a town pre castle as the Castle was built on a defensive dry bit of gravel surrounded by bog (bits of C'town still known as bog garden etc until 18th C) - the town grew to service the castle which prossibly took its name from the Abbey but there is much conjecture around this (much the same way Ballasalla grew to service the Abbey

Who on earth designed them?

Disco Sven?

How much is it going to cost to maintain all that timber?

Why did they not try and blend them in with the surrounding houses?

Ideas for their road name - Sauna Street, Abba Avenue and Alpine Way for starters.

What do you think?

Although a little unusual, I think they look quite smart. The boxes and pebble dash bungalows that are so popular over here make my stomach turn. I would rather buy a camper van and sleep in that than spend £300k on a 1960s bungalow that reeks of piss.

Maintenance wide, very little is required - it's Cedar. I personally dont like Cedar as a cladding - it's already horribly dated along with feature walls and ikea furniture, but it doesn't need particulary regular maintenance.

Re blending them in to the surrounding houses - my guess would be because the surrounding houses are council houses and look shite. You actually want to set out to build new build houses that looks like Anaghcour and Pully?

Archived