The No Naming Rule In Our T&c's

We have had a spate of posters unmasking and naming. 3 in 24 hours. Must be silly season.

DONT.

Not even a forname.

If you do the post will be removed and you will be warned. If you repeat there is power to suspend posting rights or bann

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not as a rule

BUT under the T&C if there is a complaint and/or legal proceedings, actual or threatened, the details may be released, if we have them

However the offending poster will always be asked to voluntarily disclsoe their identity to the complainant

I am not aware of any instance in last 5 years of a name being given out.

Adding personal information is not part of the registration process so I'm not sure what information you think we have access to.

We don't have any details outside of your username, your email address and the IP address you used to post. If your email address is in the form of firstname.lastname@mail.com then we can *guess* I suppose, but there's nothing stopping me registering walter.white@manx.net and using it to register here. I'm not Walter White.

Your IP address is just that, an IP. We don't have any way of correlating these to people and quite honestly, with the amount of free wifi etc there is around, it wouldn't be much use anyway.

Generally, identities of posters become known through social interactions either on or off site, or when someone chooses to reveal themselves for whatever reason.

Regardless of whether you know someone in real life, the rule here is that we don't allow people to link user names with personal details, which not only includes names, but workplaces, residences and anything that is considered private to the individual.

I think what you're saying then is that an unnamed group of moderators can look at email addresses?

Noting that it is possible to set up anonymous or fake email addresses which would facilitate a user id to be created, there is still a very fair chance that some users will have genuine addresses with names in them.

If I was one of those, I'd like to think there was little or no chance someone could 'guess' who I was, unless I chose to reveal it. I'd therefore like to think that access is extremely restricted.

If you have concerns that any moderator has abused their position in any way then please do forward your query and any supporting evidence to the site admin.

I'm not aware of any extra controls the forum software has in further limiting the visibility of email addresses to the admin team but I'll look into it.

Ultimately though, as per John's original post, we dont release any information without following the proper processes. If for some reason you find yourself unable to accept that statement on trust then you should request account deletion and discontinue use of the forum.

I should also point out that users can change their registered email themselves at any time.

Personally speaking, I generally use disposable email addresses for forums I post on.

Some knob end on here claimed he had found out who I was, and I can only assume that is through the moderators/owners.

Now, of course, I know who he is, and he would regret the day he ever considered revealing who I was on here, or anywhere else

Archived