Hmv In Administration

TurricanII

Amazon bullshit about the RRP just as much as the next shop. I couldn't care less what they "claim" the RRP is. I care what they sell the item for

Plenty of places selling for miles less than £100

http://www.google.co...wAA#scoring=tps

so not only are you unwilling to say how much more discount they should be offering, but now suggest they should hire extra staff to search for cheaper examples of every item they sell, you do realise that will lead to a price increase!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of how many reasons you give me as to why things cost more from x and y, i'm simply not willing to pay double. Is that surprising?

If they had charged £60 for the item locally, i would have drove to Tynwald Mills, took the hit on the fuel and bought it. I don't mind paying a bit extra for the convenience, but 100% more? Nope.

I think it is a bit off not honouring gift vouchers, I bet a lot of kids got them for Christmas and have not got around to redeeming them yet. Normally when these stores go bottoms up they tell everyone with vouchers to redeem them as quickly as possible. I normally give a few vouchers out at Christmas but with this example not no more !!!

I think it is a bit off not honouring gift vouchers, I bet a lot of kids got them for Christmas and have not got around to redeeming them yet. Normally when these stores go bottoms up they tell everyone with vouchers to redeem them as quickly as possible. I normally give a few vouchers out at Christmas but with this example not no more !!!

Funny how they waited until after Christmas, isn't it? LOL

Amazon bullshit about the RRP just as much as the next shop. I couldn't care less what they "claim" the RRP is. I care what they sell the item for

Plenty of places selling for miles less than £100

http://www.google.co...wAA#scoring=tps

so not only are you unwilling to say how much more discount they should be offering, but now suggest they should hire extra staff to search for cheaper examples of every item they sell, you do realise that will lead to a price increase!

I nearly posted something similar earlier tis evening, defending the local retailer, and stating the fact that the RRP is actually much higher, Amazon are offering a 68% discount, it can't be legit etc etc. However, having googled the product I can't find anyone anywhere selling it for anywhere near the price shown at Tynwald, and the Amazon price is fairly normal.

But you are looking on the internet at prices that were probably set only a few days ago, Tynwald pet centre has probably been sitting on that box for months and were going to tell you exactly how you should set it up and stock it with appropriate fish and help you not kill them.

But you are looking on the internet at prices that were probably set only a few days ago, Tynwald pet centre has probably been sitting on that box for months and were going to tell you exactly how you should set it up and stock it with appropriate fish and help you not kill them.

You're seriously suggesting that the higher price is due to the knowledge you get from them along with your purchase? It's pretty foolproof to set up too :-)

Trevor Moore, HMV Ceo. Previous jobs: Jessops and Thresher Group. Like a Titanic CV, that...

I was at school with Stuart McAllister who became CEO of HMV and had a lot to do with taking HMV global. He died about thirteen years ago age 53 with some national obituaries recording his career…

Even at school he had his own group called Lee Scott and the Roulettes with at least one record in the charts….Then he found out early on that it was better to live off 10% of someone else’s money rather than 100% of your own (less tax)

Anyway, he seems never to have publicised his humble roots at Moulsham Secondary School for Boys, Princes Road, Chelmsford…(Now Moulsham High School)…Where he became Head Boy….

This is totally irrelevant but………(to be continued…)

But you are looking on the internet at prices that were probably set only a few days ago, Tynwald pet centre has probably been sitting on that box for months...

You're seriously suggesting that the higher price is due to the knowledge you get from them along with your purchase?

It's all been set out why the stores are not automatically 'ripping people off' for charging double Internet prices.

e.g. for HMV:

est. £40k rent, £100k wages, probably £10k shipping per annum, £10k utilities. £160k so far. So if open 6 days a week (231 days) they have to make £750 profit a day to break even. They have to pay for stock, so they might need to take £1500 every single day to break even. Clearly not going to happen on the IOM!

Then as has been said, they buy stock when it is released at top money. So there is a limit to how much stock they can carry or how much discount they can give.

Many people set up websites selling DVD's and other stuff from dropshippers (distributors who have warehouses full and send plain boxes directly to the end customer). These people don't even have to keep stock so they can always advertise at the lowest cost. Many work from a bedroom and add a couple of % markup onto the trade price, trying to get a massive turnover. Which means everyone else has to sell cheap, and only the massive companies like Amazon can survive on those slim margins (with their tax planning!)

So by all means pity the fool that stocks a shop for you to browse in, but they are not trying to rip you off - just trying to stay afloat and being guilty of ignoring the changes that started years ago.

You're seriously suggesting that the higher price is due to the knowledge you get from them along with your purchase? It's pretty foolproof to set up too :-)

Having bought a tank online that the guy at Tynwald had in stock but advised against using for what we wanted to do, and having fished many dead fish out that my kids had given names, I wish I had just stuck with a local guy who knows what he was doing advising me and paying extra to start off with as over time I have probably paid much more.

Having bought a tank online that the guy at Tynwald had in stock but advised against using for what we wanted to do, and having fished many dead fish out that my kids had given names, I wish I had just stuck with a local guy who knows what he was doing advising me and paying extra to start off with as over time I have probably paid much more.

The fact is unfortunately that there are more and more online reviews by professionals and also people who have bought the things that cover most of the pros and cons that you find out from the expert in the shop.

I have fairly recently got into looking after fish (3 x bubble eye goldfish), probably one of the more difficult fish to look after. However, i did a ton of research before hand, learned about cycling the tank etc, and all 3 are doing great 5 months in :-) We have a smaller 50 litre tank for a goldfish my daughter has (well i have!). Tank is probably too small for a goldfish really, so will have to give the fish away in a couple of years once it grows. Biggest mistake people make (pets at home are the most guilty of this) is buying too small a tank, goldfish need at least 40 litres per fish bear minimum, fancies around 70-80

I was in Pets at Home the other day whilst an assistant was advising someone to buy a small 12 litre (!!!!!!!) tank for a goldfish

Absolutely criminal. My friend is always mystified when one of his goldfish dies, changes the water once every couple of months, overfeeds etc. Fish die a miserable, painful death. Sadly many fish bought for "the kids" end up this way, lack of knowledge, lack of interest and lack of effort

good luck with yours anyway

I was in Pets at Home the other day whilst an assistant was advising someone to buy a small 12 litre (!!!!!!!) tank for a goldfish

Absolutely criminal. My friend is always mystified when one of his goldfish dies, changes the water once every couple of months, overfeeds etc. Fish die a miserable, painful death. Sadly many fish bought for "the kids" end up this way, lack of knowledge, lack of interest and lack of effort

Although I don't like their business model (buy 12L tank now and then a bigger one once the fish start to grow - i.e. sell two complete tank set ups), unless you are talking about a gold fish that will grew very big (Koi Carp or something), 40L per fish is overkill.

I somewhat agree with you providing adequate filtration (as in a tetratec external filter etc) and regular water changes. The more fish, the more frequent the water changes, if you're very (very) regular with the water changes you can get away with more fish

Obviously its more of a hassle though and the fish growth will be stunted because the small tank size. I still would say 30l per fish as an absolute minimum and to provide a decent quality of life

remember than common goldfish can grow to be almost 18 inches long!

no goldfish should ever be housed in a 12 litre tank. I don't know how this is allowed - it's just cruel

Archived