"ill Informed Forums Should Be Shut Down" In Tynwald

woolley

Anyone listening to current debate? I just caught a snippet in which one of them - don't know who it was - made the above comment to general "hear hears". That's a bit strong innit? Quite shocked. Don't they believe in freedom of expression? Perhaps some believe they have a monopoly on wisdom and anyone who expresses a contrary view is always wrong. Does the UK parliament harbour similar views about web forums?

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone listening to current debate? I just caught a snippet in which one of them - don't know who it was - made the above comment to general "hear hears". That's a bit strong innit? Quite shocked. Don't they believe in freedom of expression? Perhaps some believe they have a monopoly on wisdom and anyone who expresses a contrary view is always wrong. Does the UK parliament harbour similar views about web forums?

I heard that, it was the usually silent Corkish who said it, my immediate reaction was that ill informed government members should be shut down or shut up.

A nice line I saw elsewhere a couple of days ago: 'politicians need to be reminded that we elect them to represent us, not govern us'. And therein lies the rub. On the doorstep they talk about how they're going to work hard for us and carry out our wishes - once elected many seem reluctant to even discuss matters.

And no Woolley - they certainly DON'T like to be challenged, questioned or held to account. Wasn't it John Houghton who said Manx Radio should lose its public funding because a reporter had the impertinence to ask him whether he'd be contributing properly to his Tynwald pension last year?

I'm by default suppportive of our MHK's - I think the majority work hard and do their best for the Island, but some need to take a reality check.

How easy would it be for 'them' to shut down this den of subversion, iniquity and dissent?

Would they have to show ''good reason'', in a court of law or just shut it down at the stroke of a pen?

Let's see if it's spun in the local rags.

Corkish trying to raise his popularity....

Absolutely ludicrous statement clearly from someone who hasn't got a clue.

How easy would it be for 'them' to shut down this den of subversion, iniquity and dissent?

Depends largely on the owners tolerance for hassle, and he seems pretty resilient so far. Even if this instance was shut down, it'd be a piece of piss to move somewhere else and make it harder to shut down.

That is provided everyone follows the rules to keep the forum alive. When the line's crossed it makes it much harder to deflect the attacks.

In my mind, that means that there is information being posted on these ill informed forums that may be too close to the truth and they want it to be kept quiet

It is not the Fora. It is the contributors and they can be pursued legally for such as defamation. Other than that methinks some MHKs should swot up on the Human Rights Act & etc.

I know for a fact that efforts were made to get me off “Mannin Line” years ago when it was on every day.

I suppose for legal reasons best not say who as I was not present at the meeting but two leading politicians, one of whom is now in a most leading role, went as a pair to see a Manx Radio presenter out of hours and off the premises.

I was on about information exchange and the like and international pressures viz a viz taxation ie the day of the tax haven draweth unto a close etc. And one of the comments was “You shouldn’t let that fellow on air you know he keeps saying the Finance Sector is going to leave the Island”.

The presenter invited the two politicians to go on a programme with me with the right to reply but they declined, agreeing that “Yes. We are in for a rough time but even so you shouldn’t let that fellow on the programme“

On another occasion years ago now I was invited to a one hour meeting at the Treasury with Richard Corkill, John Cashen and press officer Alistair Ramsey. The underlying theme was “Who’s telling you all this?” and I was told “We don’t want to stop you writing in the local papers but would you be so kind as to send us an advance copy first? It would be much appreciated.”

Right!

In other words, whilst there is ill-informed comment, to which we all have a private right within the laws on defamation, their main concern is not actually the ill-informed comment but rather the informed/accurate/close to the truth comment that makes them ill!

That is provided everyone follows the rules to keep the forum alive. When the line's crossed it makes it much harder to deflect the attacks.

Wise words. I would add (as I always seem to be saying) that it would be really good to get a far wider contribution on here from many more people including those who think government are generally doing a good job and politicians too. There seem to be far more lurkers than there are people who will actually comment. The more balanced the debate the more difficult it is to criticise the medium. It's ManxForums not just HaveaMoanForums.

I also heard fast Eddie on the lunchtime news, he said that he is happy that Kate does not support the budget as it proves that he has got it rightwhatever.gif

Whose view would you respect - an accountant or a sometime banker?

I'd put Ms Beecroft into DEC straight away to sort the books out & get rid of all the simpering English advisers who appear to be in ETs pocket for some reason or another

I also heard fast Eddie on the lunchtime news, he said that he is happy that Kate does not support the budget as it proves that he has got it rightwhatever.gif

Whose view would you respect - an accountant or a sometime banker?

I'd put Ms Beecroft into DEC straight away to sort the books out & get rid of all the simpering English advisers who appear to be in ETs pocket for some reason or another

I was thinking similar. I'd like to let Ms Beecroft loose with the budget and her "zero based" idea and see what she could come up with. Maybe start off with a couple of departments and then roll out later.

ill Informed Forums Should Be Shut Down

And pig ignorant, barely educated fools whose meagre talents and skills barely extend further than being able to stay awake whilst casually nodding through legislation and proposals regarding issues that they are scarcely capable of thinking about in any serious capacity, never mind understand, shouldn't be voted into a partliament or given any kind of departmental responsibility.

That's a free society for you.

Archived