Farming Madness

vikingdoom

Wow I can't believe the negativity here, people are losing their livlihoods. I live in michael and yes we were expecting snow, 10-15cm of snow, not 10-15 ft of snow. People over this side of the island have gone through hell this weekend, that most of you, unless you were here just couldn't comprehend. I am proud of the community spirit i have witnessed over the last few days. The people out there helping the farmers, supporting their community in a time of need. Do you know what a sense of achievement it is to pull a living lamb out of a ten foot snow drift after being trapped for 4 days.....

Thank you for what you're doing up there. I'm a bit down that I can't come help with the rest of my mates today as I'm in work this week. All the volunteers deserve free drinks in whatever pub they call their local. Top job from everyone.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't think the farmers could have prepared any better, but this is hardly supporting the community and I am cynical of much of the reason why people are out there as I have explained in the other thread.

All it is really is just making sure you get your chops for next year. But it is community spirit if you are going out there because you don't want the farmers to be on hard times after this hit. That's good. But here is no social good and wonderful achievement here.

Thank you for what you're doing up there. I'm a bit down that I can't come help with the rest of my mates today as I'm in work this week. All the volunteers deserve free drinks in whatever pub they call their local. Top job from everyone.

Don't you start. This sort of thing is all over Facebook. People who post this sort of thing are the worst. "I'd be there, but...". Again, no gold stars for you.

Well I don't think the farmers could have prepared any better, but this is hardly supporting the community and I am cynical of much of the reason why people are out there as I have explained in the other thread.

All it is really is just making sure you get your chops for next year. There is no social good and wonderful achievement here.

You would be amazed were you to know how little many farmers on that side of the Island really earn. I personally know a couple who are miliionaires and others who would earn more on benefits despite having what would appear to be a large farm.

I know a lot earn very little and could go under. I am not concerned as I don't agree with the meat industry and think it highly unethical.

BUT, as I said, if people are going out there to help them so they don't go under then that is good community spirit. (Having concern for the animals is a different matter and is what I was talking about in the other thread)

I may be wrong but don't farmers grow vegetables and crops and stuff?

I also don't agree with the meat industry, I'm what you could label a 'minimal meat eater'.

Don't you start. This sort of thing is all over Facebook. People who post this sort of thing are the worst. "I'd be there, but...". Again, no gold stars for you.

I can't take time off at the moment, we have a deadline coming up. I don't expect a gold star, it was a genuine comment that I feel shitty that I can't be out there helping.

You feel shitty? But you are working. That's a good enough excuse. If you feel that bad that you are not supporting the farmers then there is benevolent trust you can donate to. But there is no need for us to know of your desire. You might feel shitty but it seems like you want some recognition for your intention to help.

Too much of what people are saying of late seems like self-congratulatory pap or desperate need for validation from other. It does depreciate things if people are out because there needs others recognition for their help.

I think you will find the farmers actually cleared a lot of the roads.

You cant round herds of sheep up (particularily on the mountain) in just a few hours. Its a lot more complex than that... Its just unfortunate, but at least sheep are still being rescued alive.

The OP probably hasn't left his bedroom yet.

I know a lot earn very little and could go under. I am not concerned as I don't agree with the meat industry and think it highly unethical.

But if you're worried about the treatment of animals, then the way farming tends to operate on the Island (most stock free-range, short distance to slaughter) would surely be one you approve of. Of course the irony is that if the animals were crammed into giant sheds, never seeing daylight, then fatalities would probably be much less.

As for people making over-emotional declarations of support about things they don't really care about and over-confident statements about things they know little, dammit that's what Facebook is for.

The OP probably hasn't left his bedroom yet.

Very odd and seemingly stupid thing to say. Why is this relevant? I disagree with him, but he think it serves them right or is their own fault, which could probably lead him to think that they deserve no help.

Or is this some dreadful way of trying to make his point of view seem less valid by portraying him as less worthy because he hasn't been such a great hero by going out there?

You feel shitty? But you are working. That's a good enough excuse. If you feel that bad that you are not supporting the farmers then there is benevolent trust you can donate to. But there is no need for us to know of your desire. You might feel shitty but it seems like you want some recognition for your intention to help.

Too much of what people are saying of late seems like self-congratulatory pap or desperate need for validation from other. It does depreciate things if people are out because there needs others recognition for their help.

Just making conversation really, if I wanted to seek self-validation I sure as hell wouldn't do it on a forum. :)

Archived