Farming Madness

vikingdoom

5. The reference was to an illicit movement of livestock, in order to be able to continue to sell people contaminated sheep. When the incentives are right, action can be taken quickly!

Including, allegedly, the movement of "X" number of already-deceased carcasses to the site of an aircraft crash a number of years back...MoD have good insurers, doncha know.....

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely it's better to forecast the worst case?

No. The OP was ranting for the farmers to shut their sheep up, because of the forecast. Shutting the sheep up causes spontanious abortions of the lambs etc.. The farmers do not have shelter for all the stock and it is unnecessary. You are asking for the forecasters to call for the worst case scenarios and the farmers to follow suit. Hmm. Not a Good Idea.

Surely it's better to forecast the worst case?

No. The OP was ranting for the farmers to shut their sheep up, because of the forecast. Shutting the sheep up causes spontanious abortions of the lambs etc.. The farmers do not have shelter for all the stock and it is unnecessary. You are asking for the forecasters to call for the worst case scenarios and the farmers to follow suit. Hmm. Not a Good Idea.

In years gone by they used to put a goat in with the sheep during the winter months, the reason for this is the goats will walk into the wind to find shelter against a hedge where they won`t be buried by the snow and the sheep will follow them, where as the sheep walk with the wind and get buried,

I'm sure I remember that back in the Chernobyl days certain farmers were very quick to move large numbers of sheep around

I remember that weekend/ week well, I was out on the hills, doing a bit of off road biking and I, along with 4 mates, were caught in the rain that day, really, really soaked through.

Of the 4 people I was with at the time 3 are now dead, all cancer, all before they were 50.................... It does makes you think.

As for the sheep being moved quick that weekend/ week, they were, very quick.

The chances are, the ones which are missing now are related to the sheep that "were not on the hills when the radiation fell" cough, cough, splutter, get or-ffff my laaaaand, yip yip booooom. (Farmer Palmer Viz types)

With the amount of radiation the sheeps ancestors received, the current sheep should glow green, (I do*), making finding their location quite a simple task. thumbsup.gif

*When I dont use Non-Bio washing machine powder

In years gone by they used to put a goat in with the sheep during the winter months, the reason for this is the goats will walk into the wind to find shelter against a hedge where they won`t be buried by the snow and the sheep will follow them, where as the sheep walk with the wind and get buried,

So, if I got you correctly, you are saying the the goats lead the sheep into the wind to the lee side of obstructions which is somehow safer then the windward side. I'm pretty sure you are right about the goats but not so much maybe about the snow drifts.

I was a canadian avalanche control technician and I have been pouring over the many pics with a fine tooth comb at the ManxRadio FaceBook page. I'm not so sure your evaluation of the situation is entirely correct. I have seen pics of huge drifts behind buildings, behind walls, in road cuts and in gullies and scoured clean beside. These locations would be classed as in the lee sides of obstructions - just the kind of place 'the goat' would have lead the sheep. Not a good place to be as it is the deposition location or not as there are many places that scour beside and around obstacles as well. Depends on the circumstances. To counter my own argument and bolster yours, I have also seen lots of pictures of sheep being dug out of drifts that were obviously on the windward side of obstacles.... Not sure if the goats would have helped or not.

Basically it looks to me that Total Snow fall was not that great (except maybe for you who live in Man and rarely see much snow at all) but the wind transported snow has created huge problems in the areas where it was deposited.

Sheep are dumb and look up to goats for mentorship .... Goats of all things - the devil's spawn.

What the hell were the farmers of this island thinking of? pregnant sheep left out in exposed places when a bloody blizzard is forecast? then whingeing because they find them dead. what the hell did you think was going to happen? how much does a simple shelter cost? if I did that to my dog I would be prosecuted and not allowed to keep any more animals. why are the MSPCA not up in arms about this? Why are these people allowed to keep animals? maybe we should look again at laws to protect animals on his island, and impose stiffer penalties for people who allow this to happen.

We don't eat dogs.

But if we did, I expect we probably wouldn't provide sufficient shelter for them and mass farm them for food too.

The news report on the BBC was ironic. So much "love" for the cute little lovely animals, rescued by heroes that are only going to end up getting slaughtered by the hand that rescues them anyway! If I were one of those animals I'd much rather go on the countryside under the snow.

Mike (not a vegetarian)

So, if I got you correctly, you are saying the the goats lead the sheep into the wind to the lee side of obstructions which is somehow safer then the windward side. I'm pretty sure you are right about the goats but not so much maybe about the snow drifts.

I was a canadian avalanche control technician and I have been pouring over the many pics with a fine tooth comb at the ManxRadio FaceBook page. I'm not so sure your evaluation of the situation is entirely correct. I have seen pics of huge drifts behind buildings, behind walls, in road cuts and in gullies and scoured clean beside. These locations would be classed as in the lee sides of obstructions - just the kind of place 'the goat' would have lead the sheep. Not a good place to be as it is the deposition location or not as there are many places that scour beside and around obstacles as well. Depends on the circumstances. To counter my own argument and bolster yours, I have also seen lots of pictures of sheep being dug out of drifts that were obviously on the windward side of obstacles.... Not sure if the goats would have helped or not.

Basically it looks to me that Total Snow fall was not that great (except maybe for you who live in Man and rarely see much snow at all) but the wind transported snow has created huge problems in the areas where it was deposited.

Sheep are dumb and look up to goats for mentorship .... Goats of all things - the devil's spawn.

Yes, Goats are very clever creatures,

Not one of news items that i have seen relates to goats being burried,

( If only we had one or two "Billys" in governnent our finacial troubles would be over! )

I have not seen any news items about any jellyfish being buried either and they dont even have a brain.

Jellyfish could never be called clever, so the argument that says, goats are good in these conditions because they are clever creatures, is flawed. wink.png

Are you trying to say jelly fish are clever that goats, have you ever tried milking a jellyfish ?

I have not seen any news items about any jellyfish being buried either and they dont even have a brain.

Jellyfish could never be called clever, so the argument that says, goats are good in these conditions because they are clever creatures, is flawed. wink.png

Are you trying to say jelly fish are clever that goats, have you ever tried milking a jellyfish ?

Milking a jellyfish, no I haven't but it sounds like an euphemism for something..............wink.png

Are you not Canadian anymore then?

Archived