Farming Madness

vikingdoom

I was a canadian avalanche control technician

Are you not Canadian anymore then?

:) Very good. Your odds were 50/50. Still a canadian, not much to do with snow now except shovel it occasionally. Not like before. Spent years measuring it on and beside buildings for the CDN NRC Division of Building Research and out on the ski slopes performing risk managment tasks for the ski hill. We bombed it when it came as it didn't and wouldn't pay to be wrong as far as the suing public were concerned. Snow levels were up to 9 m deep w/ 5 m on the ground.

But I take it that was a joke. All power to the folks coping with the fallout from the snow fall.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not seen any news items about any jellyfish being buried either and they dont even have a brain.

Jellyfish could never be called clever, so the argument that says, goats are good in these conditions because they are clever creatures, is flawed. wink.png

Maybe we should have jellyfish in Tynwald instead of goats !

I have not seen any news items about any jellyfish being buried either and they dont even have a brain.

Jellyfish could never be called clever, so the argument that says, goats are good in these conditions because they are clever creatures, is flawed. wink.png

I'm breaming from ear to ear.

What the hell were the farmers of this island thinking of? pregnant sheep left out in exposed places when a bloody blizzard is forecast? then whingeing because they find them dead. what the hell did you think was going to happen? how much does a simple shelter cost? if I did that to my dog I would be prosecuted and not allowed to keep any more animals. why are the MSPCA not up in arms about this? Why are these people allowed to keep animals? maybe we should look again at laws to protect animals on his island, and impose stiffer penalties for people who allow this to happen.

What a total Juan Carr of a posterwhatever.gifwhatever.gifwhatever.gif yes my first post...although in my defence I have been reading these forums for years and this thread header and your post totally disgust me so I hope I have put my first and last post to good use.......

I thought we already did have - mostly of the variety without stings.

(Actually jellyfish are famous for their mass strandings, so I'm not sure even following them in the water would be a good idea).

But they are invertebrates...

How many times over the last 50 years has there been enough snow to bury one sheep, never mind thousands? And how often in the last 50 years has the weather system stayed put so that the snow does not all melt within a day or two?

And how often do we get such severe winter weather so late in the season? Wasn't it warm, sunny, summer weather this time last year, for lambing?

Are farmers expected to buy large, expensive sheds to put their livestock in over the winter (as they do in Norway)? Even when almost every year the grass keeps growing through the winter?

And when they do buy sheds, are they expected to know that this is the one year in half a century that the rooves will cave in under the weight of snow settling on them?

Clearly they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

How many times over the last 50 years has there been enough snow to bury one sheep, never mind thousands? And how often in the last 50 years has the weather system stayed put so that the snow does not all melt within a day or two?

And how often do we get such severe winter weather so late in the season? Wasn't it warm, sunny, summer weather this time last year, for lambing?

Are farmers expected to buy large, expensive sheds to put their livestock in over the winter (as they do in Norway)? Even when almost every year the grass keeps growing through the winter?

And when they do buy sheds, are they expected to know that this is the one year in half a century that the rooves will cave in under the weight of snow settling on them?

Clearly they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

+1

From farming friends with land adjoining the course:

"Because the fences and hedges were all drifted over, there are no boundaries so any living stock have free roam of the whole island -everybodies animals are all mixed up big style! Roadsides fences will be a nightmare when snow goes as the highways dept have just been piling it up and pushing it over-20ft high- and snapping all the posts-must be stockproof b4 TT!!!!"

I asked as to why prisoners aren't helping out there and was sort of told that it's down to things like health and safety!!!

(still shaking head)

I see on the news HMP Haverigg were letting prisoners out to dig out sheep in Cumbria, so health and safety doesn't seem an issue. Probably the staff in the IOM didn't fancy the cold eh?!

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/cumbria-farmers-devastated-as-sheep-lost-in-snow-1.1046143?referrerPath=home

I asked as to why prisoners aren't helping out there and was sort of told that it's down to things like health and safety!!!

(still shaking head)

I see on the news HMP Haverigg were letting prisoners out to dig out sheep in Cumbria, so health and safety doesn't seem an issue. Probably the staff in the IOM didn't fancy the cold eh?!

http://www.nwemail.c...ferrerPath=home

I understand that the problem isn't with the wing units staff as they've been out in their own time digging out animals. Letting prisoners out is a decision for those who wear the suits.

Archived