Farming Madness

vikingdoom

Yes, I think Island farming causes less suffering in general than what goes on in the UK. (Though my issue isn't just with treatment but with the killing.)

And yes, Facebook does tend to make people do stupid things.

Ok,I'll try and eat my next leg of Lamb whilst it's still alive thenthumbsup.gif

ETA: Like happens in the wild/natural world.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The local weather forecasters should be taking some of the blame for this

The bastards. I seen them too. Stood on top of Snaefell they were, with a big bucket of water and a fan.

Get a grip trmpton. The forecast for the paper would have been at some time on Wednesday morning (at the latest)to make IOM Newspapers filing deadline. IIRC the papers are brought in on the Wed night/Thurs morning Ben which leaves heysham at 0215.

I normally take my motorbike to work. Thursday's forecast was benign enough for me to ride to work and Friday's was toxic enough to make me take the car and abandon a night out in Douglas planned for Friday night. I can't recall when exactly I heard these but they were both from IOM met office and both spot on.

I'm just a member of the public who follows forecasts though and as you have superior expertise then I bow to it.

The local weather forecasters should be taking some of the blame for this, and the fact that people didn't buy extra supplies of batteries, food etc.

The national weather forecast was for snow at all levels, the local guys decided to confidently tell everyone there maybe accumulations at high levels.

People keep disputing this, and maybe some of their forecast were more accurate, but I heard it myself on Manx Radio on Thursday afternoon and though how brave they were based on everything else I had seen.

Quote from front Page of Manx Independent March 21 2013

"More snow on hills tomorrow

THE weather is set to get a lot colder tomorrow.

Earlier in the week, there was snow on the hills, as photographer Murray Lambden found when he pictured the Creg-Ny-Baa Fell Race.

There is a chance of snow at the top of the hills again tomorrow (Friday), but the chances the disruption from snow on lower levels is slim. The Met Office says snow or sleet is expected on Friday above 500 to 600 feet on the higher level.

It will start to rain tonight and throughout Friday the weather is going to be cold, with the chance of an inch of rain falling on lower levels.

David Boultbee from the Met Office said: "The gales rain/sleet and snow will continue through Friday then a gradual improvement is expected during Saturday although it will stay cold"

The sleet will gradually die out on Saturday"

Hardly the weather warning issued in other parts of Britain, and I'm not sure what made them so confident that they could disregard what every other British forecast was saying

That front page would have been based on a weather forcast issued Tuesday Evening or at the very latest first thing Wednesday morning allowing due to the print deadline.

On Thursday the local met office I believe did issue a severe weather warning and it my view they were not far out.

It was worse on the west as they said, there is or was virtually nothing in the east or south. Dougals basically had nowt, the airport stayed open. Driving into Douglas on Saturday the snow only started to hit near the top of Ballahutchin. I agree that the amount was greater than they expexted and the snow level was slightly lower but from memory they were forcasting snow at from about 200/300 feet, When you are close to the edge of weather it snows or rains, and weather it snows or rains is marginal and can be affected by 0.1 degree change in temperature or a 100ft in height there is always going to be a margin for error

How accurate or specfic a weather forcast do you want. One for Douglas, one for Onchan, one for Ramsey.

What made this fall worse was that it was accompanied by high winds so the snow drifted. Whether we received a couple of inches of snow or a foot of snow I expect similar problems would have been experiened in places. If it has just fallen I doubt we would have had the problems.

As for the UK forcasts these days, since probably 1987 the UK tend to exagerate the worst of the weather. If it is borderline sleet or snow they will forcast snow. If they are not sure if there will be a little or a lot they forcast a lot. Why? Because if it was better than they forcast they get alot less complaints etc than if it is slightly worse

Everywhere else, other than our own Met Office, were showing heavy snow on Friday on the Tuesday, as mentioned in the posts around those dates in the Snow Warning thread. I just don't understand what they were looking at that made them think everyone else was wrong.

Surely it's better to forecast the worst case?

Anyway, it doesn't change where we are now, and I really hope no one gets injured up on the hills trying to find the sheep.

Everywhere else, other than our own Met Office, were showing heavy snow on Friday on the Tuesday, as mentioned in the posts around those dates in the Snow Warning thread. I just don't understand what they were looking at that made them think everyone else was wrong.

Probably because they have better local knowledge of Island weather.

Surely it's better to forecast the worst case?

That is the principle used, as far as I am aware.

Anyway, it doesn't change where we are now, and I really hope no one gets injured up on the hills trying to find the sheep.

Hahaha. Well get up there and help them then rather than looking for others people's recognition of your 'goodwill'.

But yes, if anyone does get injured and gets stuck in the snow then next week's hero stories will be front page about the community going out to find Juan Kaighin. It go on forever.

Hahaha. Well get up there and help them then rather than looking for others people's recognition of your 'goodwill'.

But yes, if anyone does get injured and gets stuck in the snow then next week's hero stories will be front page about the community going out to find Juan Kaighin. It go on forever.

You misunderstand, I am not looking for recognition of anything. Personally I think there are too many people with no real knowledge of the areas climbing about in huge snowdrifts, people on facebook were asking if it was appropriate to take 13 year old kids out to help ffs.

It was a genuine hope that these people who are undoubtedly well intentioned don't go beyond what is safe and sensible and end up harming themselves.

I went up this morning to help the farmers the snow is about 5/6 foot deep in places loads of young kids up helping dig absolutley no danger to anyone.

As for the original poster how insensitive can you be? no need for it

+1 on that.

What the hell were the farmers of this island thinking of? pregnant sheep left out in exposed places when a bloody blizzard is forecast? then whingeing because they find them dead. what the hell did you think was going to happen? how much does a simple shelter cost? if I did that to my dog I would be prosecuted and not allowed to keep any more animals. why are the MSPCA not up in arms about this? Why are these people allowed to keep animals? maybe we should look again at laws to protect animals on his island, and impose stiffer penalties for people who allow this to happen.

Never ceases to amaze me. Just when you think a comment is sickening someone goes lower. How many sheep do you think the farmers would have to gather up. That is even if the for-cast had not played down the chance of really bad weather as they usually do in case anyone decides not to go into work and thereby 'damage the economy'. My heart goes out to the farmers and their animals in this awful weather. I hope things soon get better for them. It would be easy to say I hope things get worse for the low-life who made these remarks, but that would only lower myself to his level. I hope I never get to that stage

Don't worry about the farmers - they will be looked after. They always are.

I try not to bite , but people like you make it difficult. Don't assume everyone is like yourself. God forbid. There seem to be a hardcore of your type over here now. Those who care little about anything that does not benefit themselves, and spit and curse about anyone who they think are getting something that they do not qualify for. I don't care where your type came from, and care less where you go. I just hope you are all tempted away from our Island - soon

If only weather forecasting was an exact science...

The other issue is that if the met office stated "You're going to get the worst snowfall for fifty years" it would only have any meaning to those who saw the results fifty years ago. The rest can only guess at how much would come down and what it's effects might be.

Then again in might just end up as a light dusting and lot's of folks would be v annoyed at gathering them down into shelter.

Farming has always been at the mercy of the weather.

Archived