Feed The Birds.....no More!

thebees

As of June 1st it is an offence to feed the birds anywhere else but your garden. There are other things you will not be able to do I'd tell you what they are but, you know the council, I put 'by-law' in the search on their website and it links to bye laws, which although acceptable (OED) it's not common place & there was nothing relevant anyway.

The thing with this is, why have they made this law? Are the pigeons in Douglas a problem, I do not think so. There is a lovely elderly lady who feeds the birds, the council have already been much harder on her than they have on others regards her property and it strikes me that the bully boys are at it again. It's OK to leave a house (or court house) to rot with the windows open so pigeons roost there but you can't put down a hand full of grain for the birds? I've posted about this in other threads but now I'm good and mad about it so, I've made it it's own thread.

I'll be out feeding the birds on Saturday, what they gunna do? Fine me? I will not pay it....lol.... I'll have to go to prison..... for feeding the birds. It's not London, we do not exactly have bird shit all over the prize buildings in the town...actually scratch that because we've no prize buildings, bird shit would probably make Douglas look better. Pffft!

I was going to make a link to one of my favourite Catherine Tate sketches but Channel 4 said "no" Ah well, you'll just have to cheer yourself up.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of June 1st it is an offence to feed the birds anywhere else but your garden. There are other things you will not be able to do I'd tell you what they are but, you know the council, I put 'by-law' in the search on their website and it links to bye laws, which although acceptable (OED) it's not common place & there was nothing relevant anyway.

The thing with this is, why have they made this law? Are the pigeons in Douglas a problem, I do not think so. There is a lovely elderly lady who feeds the birds, the council have already been much harder on her than they have on others regards her property and I strikes me that the bully boys are at it again. It's OK to leave a house (or court house) to rot with the windows open so pigeons roost there but you can't put down a hand full of grain for the birds? I've posted about this in other threads but now I'm good and mad about it so, I've made it it's own thread.

I'll be out feeding the birds on Saturday, what they gunna do? Fine me? I will not pay it....lol.... I'll have to go to prison..... for feeding the birds. It's not London, we do not exactly have bird shit all over the prize buildings in the town...actually scratch that because we've no prize buildings, bird shit would probably make Douglas look better. Pffft!

I was going to make a link to one of my favourite Catherine Tate sketches but Channel 4 said "no" Ah well, you'll just have to cheer yourself up.

No need to send you to prison if you get a fine and don't pay it, they will just apply for an attachment of earnings order

The thing with this is, why have they made this law? Are the pigeons in Douglas a problem, I do not think so. There is a lovely elderly lady who feeds the birds, the council have already been much harder on her than they have on others regards her property and I strikes me that the bully boys are at it again. It's OK to leave a house (or court house) to rot with the windows open so pigeons roost there but you can't put down a hand full of grain for the birds? I've posted about this in other threads but now I'm good and mad about it so, I've made it it's own thread.

I will feed whoever the hell I want, whenever I want, wherever I want. The Nanny State can go to hell.

No feeding pigeons? Thats nothing Bees, up here in Ramsey they have stopped us marrying our immediate relatives with their new fangled By-Laws and oh yes, drying your under-ware in the front garden.

Next thing you know they will ban shell suits and Lycra disco pants, despite the negative effect that will have on businesses like Nightlife.

Its incredibly sad when the people we pay our rates to, and who are supposed to look after our interests and adopt sensible legislation, resort to this sort of petty control freakery. Stopping mad old ladies and kids feeding pigeons - we might as well be in 1950s Russia! What a bunch of arses!

I will feed whoever the hell I want, whenever I want, wherever I want. The Nanny State can go to hell.

Sticking it to the Man, one breadcrumb at a time! tongue.png

Until now, I have avoided feeding urbanite birds. I will make a point to do so while I sit and eat my lunch outside Government Offices from now on. thumbsup.gif

Its incredibly sad when the people we pay our rates to, and who are supposed to look after our interests and adopt sensible legislation, resort to this sort of petty control freakery. Stopping mad old ladies and kids feeding pigeons - we might as well be in 1950s Russia! What a bunch of arses!

There are loads of pigeons in Douglas, if you have an ice cream at Davisons and sit outside there are flocks of em.

Dont know if not feeding them will reduce their appearance around town, but they aint pretty or clean and I'd be glad to see less of them.

How are we supposed to know about these secret laws if they arent advertised. As far as I am concerned they havent published it enough so I haven't heard about it so I will be feeding the ducks as usual.

And what about putting down seed in the fields to help the nearly extinct Yellowhammers is that now illegal too?

Jesus christ why cant people be in control who have a f ing brain.

How are we supposed to know about these secret laws if they arent advertised. As far as I am concerned they havent published it enough so I have heard about it so I will be feeding the ducks as usual.

And what about putting down seed in the fields to help the nearly extinct Yellowhammers is that now illegal too?

Jesus christ why cant people be in control who have a f ing brain.

Perhaps John Wright can advise us whether "ignorance of the law does not excuse" would apply in this case?

The rationale of the doctrine is that if ignorance were an excuse, a person charged with criminal offenses or a subject of a civil lawsuit would merely claim that he or she is unaware of the law in question to avoid liability, even though the person really does know what the law in question is. Thus, the law imputes knowledge of all laws to all persons within the jurisdiction no matter how transiently. Even though it would be impossible, even for someone with substantial legal training, to be aware of every law in operation in every aspect of a state's activities, this is the price paid to ensure that willful blindness cannot become the basis of exculpation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

Is eating them still ok?

Who town councilors? No thanks, although if George Campbell gets in, it will be like feeding the 5000.

Archived