Feed The Birds.....no More!

thebees

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People should be left to do what ever they want with their own house and if they want to throw grain for the birds then that is also their prerogative.

People should be left to do what ever they want with their own house and if they want to throw grain for the birds then that is also their prerogative.

They want to sort out all the ignorant bstards who let their dogs shit everywhere and don't clean it up before they start harassing pigeon people.

The law certainly seems like it was aimed at one person. The number of complaints are a lot higher than you think though.

Talk to the shop keepers based around the area near Jabberwocky and there may be the other side of the story waiting for you to hear.

Personally I feel it's sad that certain people are going to face prosecution for one of the few enjoyments they have left, I am sure they think its harmless.

I used to chuckle whilst sitting in Jabberwocky window having a cuppa, at the ways that a certain person would try to conceal the fact they where dropping bird seed from their pockets, this little train of pigeons following then up the street.

So as a councillor you admit its a petty vendetta against a bonkers old lady doing one of the few things that counts as enjoyment in her life? What benefit would it give the corpy anyway? She lives in council housing and probably has a tiny state pension which goes on bird seed and pot noodles with a pitance in rent going back to the corpy. Are you now going to fine her and take even more of the small amount of money she has off her now you have these new powers?

I did see this link

[Families are being threatened with eviction from their council homes - if they are caught feeding pigeons.

Kingston is imposing tough measures after tenants called on the borough to rid their flats of feral birds that coat their homes in droppings.]

I saw an article somewhere yesterday in which Alex Downie said he hoped Local Authorities would use common sense when implementing new bye laws.

Did anyone else see the article? I can't find it on MR news or iomtoday.

I saw an article somewhere yesterday in which Alex Downie said he hoped Local Authorities would use common sense when implementing new bye laws.

Did anyone else see the article? I can't find it on MR news or iomtoday.

HERE

as ducks are birds does that mean we can't go down the arboretum with the stale bread and feed them either??? dumb cunt counsellers!!

Who is a dumb cunt, thinking St Johns would be affected by Douglas byelaws.

i wasn't paying that much attention and just read against the law to feed birds, blah de blah de blah etc. does that mean i couldn't feed my own budgie in my own house in douglas and would have to take it outside in the garden to feed it??? what if i have a pet bird and NO garden??? would i need to get the bird put down??

and i'm a lot more cunt than i am dumb thumbsup.gif

A lady near us mass feeds pigeons and gulls, she had a colony in excess of 50 pigeons permanently camped on her roofs and windows, they then proceeded to colonise an unoccupied house , alongside, through broken windows. I called "pest " control who declared they could do nothing except if a building was being colonised, luvely ses me, what will you do? we will write a stiff letter to the owner! What about the mass feedings? nope nothing we can do.

Our house is now in a serious gull colony, people being mobbed by gulls is an everyday occurrence, the noise levels at first light are like constant car alarms going off , all day we have the constant keening of the young for food. as a neighbourhood we are not happy, we are a mile away from the sea cliffs, the gulls natural home.

Feed all the birds you like but please do it in an appropriate area , like the beach, consider your neighbours before you start to create or support an urban gull colony.

Sorry Mollag you are still allowed to feed them in your garden so, this rule will not help your cause. We were talking about it earlier, in the olden days you could buy bags of seeds/nuts to feed the birds, they'd all congregate in the feeding area, maybe there should be areas where you are permitted to feed the birds, maybe in a glen or something, Villa glen is a bit of a mess these days, maybe they could make that the bird glen?

Sorry about all the maybes, I'm not very decisive at the moment.

Seems to be open to quite a bit of interpretation:

http://www.tynwald.org.im/links/tls/SD/2013/2013-SD-0130.pdf‎

(1) No person shall feed, or attract the gathering of wild birds, other wildlife or vermin, by providing any food in a manner likely to cause nuisance, inconvenience or to give reasonable grounds for annoyance to any person.

(2) This byelaw applies to the areas shown in the plan in Schedule 4.

So only an offence in the areas marked on the map in schedule 4 (the prom, pretty much all of town and on the terrace), and only if you are doing so in a manner likely to cause nuisance etc. So chucking the birds the end of your M&S sandwich is unlikely to land you in bother, but chucking a whole loaf for the shitehawks to swarm over probably will.

Archived