Sefton. Economic Policy Review Committee

John Wright

Hats off to Lost Login that arrow hit the centre of the bulls-eye. I completely agree with Lisenchuk, the "it should have been kept private" is jaw dropping but yet again it is a revealing into the workings of the mindset of the Manx political establishment past and present!

Absolutely unreal that good old "Sir Miles" should believe that what has been outed as a shady, underhand bailout to those who were certainly not in need (it would appear), should have been, "kept private".

Listen Milkman, I for one, pay far and away too much in taxes and charges on this rock. I sincerely believe that as such, I and everybody else has a right to know where my/their contributions are spent. And it's not lining the pockets of a bunch of already wealthy shareholders who just happen not to fancy the thought of stumping up a bit to keep the business that they've invested in sunnyside up.

How about a little more information? Such as expanding on what Mr. Shimmin alluded to in Tynwald, that this was not the only such financial arrangement with private enterprise that IoM Govt. has entered into? WHICH ARE THE OTHERS? AND HOW MUCH has been involved? Given Mr. Whittaker a bailout for Heysham Port, have we? Just to keep it sweet for the Steam Packet?

The Public might, just might, like and have a right to know where its dollar is actually being splurged, Mr. Walker of the Prosperous and Caring Society.....

Yes I think Mr Walker was the publisher of that pointless ' buzz phrase ' but it was probably dreamed up by a ' let's justify our existence by dreaming up meaningless ' buzz phrases ' committee of Civil Servants. Do the Government really expect new young ( or the rest of us ) voters to take any interest in electing anyone at the next Election when they see the manipulating and lying that goes on in the corridors of Power , Public and Private Sectors. I for one will not be voting, for the first time, I have seen enough over the years to believe little or nothing of what many of our Leaders ? say.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a brilliant idea, don't oppose or vote and no-one can blame you when it all goes pear shaped. At least you can sit back in your ivory tower and watch the carnage in the certain knowledge that you had nothing to do with it.

The one thing politicians look at, above all else, is the amount of votes they get at the poll. A drop in support is the worst thing they want. Every vote dropped is like a drop of blood to their very existence. Don't ignore them in the hope they will just go away, hurt them at every opportunity.

Bell due to give a statement to Tynwald over the Sefton affair and Teare to seek approval for £2.3 million spend on Midlemarch site.

From Manx Radio News:
Sefton Group back on the Tynwald agenda

Published online at 04/07/2014 06:10:00

The Sefton Group and the government’s bailout deal will be discussed by Tynwald twice more later this month.

After the resignation of Economic Development Minister John Shimmin and the appointment of Laurence Skelly to the role, Chief Minister Allan Bell is due to give a statement to the court.

At this month’s sitting, Treasury Minister Eddie Teare also looks likely to spark debate as he asks the court to spend £2.3 million on the Middlemarch site.

Buying the site, next to Lord Street Police Station in central Douglas, formed part of the deal struck between the hotel group and the government.

Bell due to give a statement to Tynwald over the Sefton affair and Teare to seek approval for £2.3 million spend on Midlemarch site.

From Manx Radio News:
Sefton Group back on the Tynwald agenda

Published online at 04/07/2014 06:10:00

The Sefton Group and the government’s bailout deal will be discussed by Tynwald twice more later this month.

After the resignation of Economic Development Minister John Shimmin and the appointment of Laurence Skelly to the role, Chief Minister Allan Bell is due to give a statement to the court.

At this month’s sitting, Treasury Minister Eddie Teare also looks likely to spark debate as he asks the court to spend £2.3 million on the Middlemarch site.

Buying the site, next to Lord Street Police Station in central Douglas, formed part of the deal struck between the hotel group and the government.

It's the buy-back clause that sticks in my craw - why would the Government, negotiating from a position of strength, give the Sefton Group such a gift? It just doesn't make sense.....

Because it will increase the value by 2.3m+. Sefton will never buy it back, it was a ruse to give them more money.

Thanks for that, so presumably if they spend 2.3m on it they will only get it back if they sell it on for a profit otherwise its just another 2.3m added to the what 3.2m that it already stands the public purse at !

is it worth 5.5m plus ?

Because it will increase the value by 2.3m+. Sefton will never buy it back, it was a ruse to give them more money.

Thanks for that, so presumably if they spend 2.3m on it they will only get it back if they sell it on for a profit otherwise its just another 2.3m added to the what 3.2m that it already stands the public purse at !

is it worth 5.5m plus ?

castle mona was worth 4m now worth 2.5m according to the sefton group but they can claim 100% of the structural costs which is unlimited + upto 40% of bedroom refurbs upto 1m without anyone knowing...........

Archived