Off Island Travel Perks At The Taxpayer's Expense

Manx1Bloke

if someone travels away off Island on Government or other official business and at taxpayers / ratepayers expense and if they then have free time not attending something on Government / Council business and are able to sight see / shop etc etc is that element of the trip a perk or benefit ?

are there rules about this?

could please maybe an accountant or someone can tell us...

thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When MHKs or island civil servants travel off island on business, they should be kept in crates* and only let out for their official business, anything else is just madness and a blatant waste of taxpayers money.

* The crates would have a supply of water and a means of attracting help in emergencies, they are human, despite the comments on here........

if someone travels away off Island on Government or other official business and at taxpayers / ratepayers expense and if they then have free time not attending something on Government / Council business and are able to sight see / shop etc etc is that element of the trip a perk or benefit ?

thanks

Even in private business if you are travelling long haul down time is usually an accepted part of a trip. Half a day or a day of time outside of business commitments. I don't know what you're angling at here, but you seriously can't expect someone to make a 4 - 12 hour flight with all the time and hassle that involves and not have any personal time where commitments allow. Sometimes people might add leave on the end of a trip as its not costing you anymore to fly them back a few days later if they cover a few days hotel costs.

You can't expect people to perform like machines.

If I go away on business, then I tend to stay an extra day or two and have a bit of a sightseeing holiday. If possible, I pay the hotel for the additional nights, otherwise repay my company back. Obviously any expenses I incur during the additional days can't be claimed back. Work have no problem with it.

When MHKs or island civil servants travel off island on business, they should be kept in crates* and only let out for their official business, anything else is just madness and a blatant waste of taxpayers money.

* The crates would have a supply of water and a means of attracting help in emergencies, they are human, despite the comments on here........

Yeah send them to Hong Kong (13.5 hours each way) and steal over 24 hours of their life and an extra 2 days with jet lag and work them like dogs. Make them put bags on their heads in taxis too so that they can't see the scenary either.

What a stupid thread.

There has to be give and take when people are giving up their time to travel for business. Its no different if they are IOMG workers.

thanks

Have you ever been away on a work funded trip or "jolly"?

My money is on no. All sounds very glam and easy but the reality is it often sucks and you end up giving way more time to the employer than you would at home.

Unless you explain what you are getting at this maybe the stupidest thread ever.

Even in private business if you are travelling long haul down time is usually an accepted part of a trip. Half a day or a day of time outside of business commitments.

As long as it doesn't incur an additional cost to the taxpayer, I don't care much what they do. As a taxpayer, I would expect them to stay in the cheapest roach motel[1] they could find and not a 5 star Hilton, though. There's no need to show off by lavishly wasting money. I think people like the Chinese would have more respect for us if we displayed parsimoniousness than if we show off by spending a lot. I know if I had a lot of money and wanted to invest, I would feel a lot safer investing in a nation run by frugal savers rather than a nation run by spendthrifts.

[1] That was a hyperbole.

As long as it doesn't incur an additional cost to the taxpayer, I don't care much what they do. As a taxpayer, I would expect them to stay in the cheapest roach motel they could find and not a 5 star Hilton. There's no need to show off by lavishly wasting money. I think people like the Chinese would have more respect for us if we displayed parsimoniousness than if we show off and lavishly waste money. I know if I had a lot of money and wanted to invest, I would feel a lot safer investing in a nation run by frugal savers rather than spendthrifts.

That's probably why you have absolutely no role in making decisions about anything and no responsibiity for anything that affects the Island in any way.

Give and take. I overheard a consultant colleague asking if he could get time-in-lieu if he happened to be away for a day which actually meant he was away from home for 14 hours. The answer was no. Similarly, if during those 14 hours away he could pop into the Apple store on Regent Street on his way back to Gatwick then as long as he doesn't try to bill IOMG for his newly purchased iPad what's the problem?

Seems to be an outbreak of business trip envy on various threads at the moment. Suggest you settle down in your nice warm house on your comfy chair and thank goodness that you aren't alone in some soulless hotel room either preparing for a meeting tomorrow morning or writing up the implications of the one you had today, while looking forward to the prospect of running the gauntlet of some crappy airport and a not necessarily comfortable December flight back to the Island. It isn't the beanfeast that some of you seem to suppose. If folk can build in a bit of downtime or a few out of pocket expenses then you can bet that they more than earned them.

Archived