Off Island Travel Perks At The Taxpayer's Expense

Manx1Bloke

I also undertake a lot of business trips and whilst the first few may be exciting they soon lose there sparkle and become a chore. Only once have I ever combined sight-seeing with a business trip and that was because I had been charged with entertaining a colleague from France. I therefore spent an afternoon trudging around London sight-seeing which was at our own expense.

I have occasionally arranged to meet friends whilst I have been away but these are always in my own time and not at the expense of the business.

As has been said already meals alone in a hotel, and hours on your own in a hotel room preparing for meetings etc are really dull. If someone, whether they work for the private sector or public sector, can get some time to enjoy themselves then I have no problem with that as long as it is at their own expense.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once did a sightseeing trip while on a business trip.

All paid for by the UK government, museums, Covent garden, lunch in the park ( it was very sunny ) also had trips paid for to theme parks and venture centres, the sea side and the welsh mountains.

The problem?

I was driving the bloody mini bus.

What is out of order is attending an energy conference in Australia which might or might not have been absolutely necessary and travelling there with your wife first class.

I am not agreeable to Govt paying for first class, at the most business on long haul. But if he wants to upgrade and take the wife then provided he pays for the upgrade and his wife to travel what is the problem

In the UK it used to be common practice on some long trips that civil servants paid for their wife's to go. Often using air miles or exchanging their business class tickets for two economy. I am aware of some trips that there were the options put on for a holiday at the end of the trip before flying home. Holiday was paid for by the civil servants.

I run my own business and occasionally it calls for a bit of travel for myself or members of staff. I have no issue if say they had to go the USA for a couple of days if they decided to take a few days holiday whilst over there. It costs me nothing and in fact it seems very logical to make use of the opportunity

What is out of order is attending an energy conference in Australia which might or might not have been absolutely necessary and travelling there with your wife first class.

I am not agreeable to Govt paying for first class, at the most business on long haul. But if he wants to upgrade and take the wife then provided he pays for the upgrade and his wife to travel what is the problem

As far as I can remember from the (KPMG?) report he didn't pay for it.

Ah, Yes. My last business trip for the IoM Govt. Training course in Edinburgh, which started at 8,30am on a Monday. I had to travel to Edinburgh from the Isle of Man on a Sunday, in my own time. Course was 8,30am to 5.30pm, so where was the time for sight seeing?

Course finished at midday on the Wednesday, so there was no direct flight back that day. I hade to travel back in 2 legs via Manchester, so arrived back on the last filght about 9.00pm, again in my own time.

Two nights in a Travel Lodge, which was a basic, decent hotel room.

But I am guilty of wasting tax payers money, as I met friends in Edinburgh for a drink on both evenings I was there. May be to keep Mr Jefferson happy, I should have stayed locked up in my hotel room all evening. I think not.

If they were on the same rate as a cancer patient going for treatment at say Clatterbridge, and staying a hotels which the Government will only pay a max of £28 a day, then there would be no objection to them having trips, but I don't think that happens, somebody said some of these trips cost thousands, then there was the film trip to Cannes, staying on a yacht, it must have been hell.

Ah, Yes. My last business trip for the IoM Govt. Training course in Edinburgh, which started at 8,30am on a Monday. I had to travel to Edinburgh from the Isle of Man on a Sunday, in my own time. Course was 8,30am to 5.30pm, so where was the time for sight seeing?

Course finished at midday on the Wednesday, so there was no direct flight back that day. I hade to travel back in 2 legs via Manchester, so arrived back on the last filght about 9.00pm, again in my own time.

Ah, I had a similar journey that day and think you were sat next to me and left your test paper on the plane. So I filled it in some of the answers for you, and checked online that they were correct.

Q1: How many civil servants does it take to change the light bulb?

A: 45. One to change the bulb, and 44 to do the paperwork.

Q2. If Two DOI workers take 6 months to dig a hole, how long will it take for Nine DOI workers to dig a similar hole.

A. 9x2 = 18 Months

Q3. What is the islands current public pension liability

A. Who gives a fuck

Q4. What is Allan Bell's role in government

A. Supreme Dalek or Tangerine Emperor

Q5. From Hansard, identify any Peter Karran sentence that is less than three hundred words long AND intelligible.

A. None, trick question.

Q6. Can you sort out the mess that is the MEA finances.

A. Neither can we, but we're asking anyone at the moment for any bright ideas.

Q7. If Eddie Teare has 3 one pound coins in one hand, and 6 two pence pieces in the other hand what can we say about the total?

A. We have economic growth at 6% and an increase of 23% in GNI this financial year.

Q8. Where are all of the Isle of Man financial reserves held?

A. In the small black petty cash box on Eddies desk.

Q9. How many potholes are there on the Isle of Man?

A. One, there were so many that they finally all merged into one a month ago

Q10. What items have been welded together and converted to form a DOI Tea Urn for use on the renovation of Peel Road

A. Nine ex-Saturn V rocket fuel tanks

Archived