Sravanti Mazumbar

dilligaf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm...different Ellan Vannin of course but just as moving. It really lends itself to some harmonies and counter-harmonies to get the full effect of this powerful folk ballad. Nice post Rhumsaa.

Yes I appreciate it's a different song - kind of the point I was making. To me I associate that song more than the other (bee gee's warbling or not)

Great video.Some beautifu shots and intriguing aerial shots(a quadricoptor?) although some conditions were quite windy.A great advert for the Island and a lovely version.Well done.

Yes, those 1715 views in 3 months clearly indicates at least a million more visitors to the island this summer.

I don't like this song much. Uninteresting and cringey (especially with associations with Isle of Man branding that it has).

Are you talking about this particular cover, or the original song itself?

I like the traditional piano version of Ellan Vannin. It was played at my grandpapa's funeral.

The original song itself.

I think people like it so much simply because it is popular (that's circular, but then so is the basis for much popular appeal in many things) and because it is all about the Isle of Man, so it appeals to nationalistic feeling. I don't think people have seen past that. It's a unimpressive poem compared to some of Craven's other poems and unfortunately it was put to music. But the banality of the tune and dull lyrics just doesn't do it for me.

Archived