Traffic lights

trmpton

Trmpton; you may be one of those who doesn't like change, if so, I'll apologise on your behalf, the primary and secondary RAG heads are visible to all vehicles behind the stop line, which was moved further back (3m) from the primary head, this head may not be visible to the first car at the stop line but the secondary head most definitely is. We checked all signal heads for visibility from and at all relevant points during commissioning, some did require aligning slightly but this is always the case at commissioning, some fine tuning is necessary.

I hope I have clarified some if not all the issues raised and as always I am more than happy to help in any sensible way I can.

No issue with change here, if it's for the better or equal to what we had before.

On that particular junction the visibility of the signals is a lot worse than it was previously. The first time I stopped at the white line I had to back up, now I stop further back but still can't see as well as before the change.

How do you check visibility? I guess it's pretty good in a focus, maybe less so in a Porsche where you are lower down, or a people carrier with a short bonnet and thick a pillars.

My wife sits much closer to the wheel than I do, so her view is different to mine.

100% in the two vehicles I drive, from my seating position I have to move in the seat to see the signals if I am first car and pull up to the white line.

No matter which way you explain it, that's crap, and a design fault.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work again fellas!

Bottom of the road past Ballaquayle school (or whatever it's called now) in both our vehicles if I am front of the queue I can't see any lights without having to look round the a pillar in the car.

I guess we will see some additional lights over the road (where they have been for how ever many years before the "improvements") or lower down the pole like on bucks road.

Who designs and signs these things off?

I'm glad it is not just me then, that thought the "new" lights were badly placed. The DOI need to either move the white line back 10 feet, or replace the light that used to be straight ahead and easily seen.

At the moment the only green light that can be seen without craning your neck is the one for pedestrians and for the unsuspecting motorist could be an accident waithing to happen if they thought that light coming on was their que to go.

There are some unused posts at that juction, but I do not know if they are the old posts , or new ones , just waiting to be utilised should enough people notice the error of the sighting of the said new lights.

I think a visit to Specsavers is on the cards for you because there are no unused traffic signal posts.

Sorry.

I thought the posts there with fuck all on them were the same posts that were there that had lights on them.

One of us is wrong and its not me ! I go through there many, many times each day.

Au contraire, I think you'll find it is you that is wrong, in fact if you would care to name a time I would be more than happy to meet with you to explain the difference between a sign post and a traffic signal post, I appreciate that it may be difficult for the untrained eye, however, my five year old son knows the difference, in fact so does my three year old son for that matter so they can meet you and explain the difference if you'd prefer?

Trmpton; you may be one of those who doesn't like change, if so, I'll apologise on your behalf, the primary and secondary RAG heads are visible to all vehicles behind the stop line, which was moved further back (3m) from the primary head, this head may not be visible to the first car at the stop line but the secondary head most definitely is. We checked all signal heads for visibility from and at all relevant points during commissioning, some did require aligning slightly but this is always the case at commissioning, some fine tuning is necessary.

I hope I have clarified some if not all the issues raised and as always I am more than happy to help in any sensible way I can.

No issue with change here, if it's for the better or equal to what we had before.

On that particular junction the visibility of the signals is a lot worse than it was previously. The first time I stopped at the white line I had to back up, now I stop further back but still can't see as well as before the change.

How do you check visibility? I guess it's pretty good in a focus, maybe less so in a Porsche where you are lower down, or a people carrier with a short bonnet and thick a pillars.

My wife sits much closer to the wheel than I do, so her view is different to mine.

100% in the two vehicles I drive, from my seating position I have to move in the seat to see the signals if I am first car and pull up to the white line.

No matter which way you explain it, that's crap, and a design fault.

I have checked the visibility of all the signal heads from all the approaches in 3 different vehicles; a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, a Citroen Berlingo (small sized van) van and a Vauxhall Vivaro (transit sized) van with absolutely zero problems whatsoever, but I will check again tomorrow and determine if there are any visibility issues and amend according fly if there are issues, which there won't be because they have been checked on numerous occasions.

Good work again fellas!

Bottom of the road past Ballaquayle school (or whatever it's called now) in both our vehicles if I am front of the queue I can't see any lights without having to look round the a pillar in the car.

I guess we will see some additional lights over the road (where they have been for how ever many years before the "improvements") or lower down the pole like on bucks road.

I'm glad it is not just me then, that thought the "new" lights were badly placed. The DOI need to either move the white line back 10 feet, or replace the light that used to be straight ahead and easily seen.

At the moment the only green light that can be seen without craning your neck is the one for pedestrians and for the unsuspecting motorist could be an accident waithing to happen if they thought that light coming on was their que to go.

There are some unused posts at that juction, but I do not know if they are the old posts , or new ones , just waiting to be utilised should enough people notice the error of the sighting of the said new lights.

I think a visit to Specsavers is on the cards for you because there are no unused traffic signal posts.

Sorry.

I thought the posts there with fuck all on them were the same posts that were there that had lights on them.

One of us is wrong and its not me ! I go through there many, many times each day.

Au contraire, I think you'll find it is you that is wrong, in fact if you would care to name a time I would be more than happy to meet with you to explain the difference between a sign post and a traffic signal post, I appreciate that it may be difficult for the untrained eye, however, my five year old son knows the difference, in fact so does my three year old son for that matter so they can meet you and explain the difference if you'd prefer?

As I work long hours it would be very hard to find a time suitable to meet with your family of future DOI workers and besides, my ANORAK is at the dry cleaners.

At the bottom of Bray Hill/ the end of Quarterbridge Road/ Tromode road, there are 2 posts. One has the pedestrian lights on and the other is bare. I am pretty sure that post had a light unit on it for those driving down stoney road to see, when looking straight ahead. I can not think what traffic sign could have been on it.

I could be wrong and if I am I could not actualy give a fuck.

I used to think that you got a bad "press" on here. but I am beginning to see why you get so much stick now with your flippant replies to staight forward comments.

I have checked the visibility of all the signal heads from all the approaches in 3 different vehicles; a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, a Citroen Berlingo (small sized van) van and a Vauxhall Vivaro (transit sized) van with absolutely zero problems whatsoever, but I will check again tomorrow and determine if there are any visibility issues and amend according fly if there are issues, which there won't be because they have been checked on numerous occasions.

I await your apology when you realise you haven't checked them properly.

There is a reason I started the thread, and it's because I, in my vehicles, can't see the signals properly. I'd've surprised if I am the only one

Good work again fellas!

Sorry.

As I work long hours it would be very hard to find a time suitable to meet with your family of future DOI workers and besides, my ANORAK is at the dry cleaners.

At the bottom of Bray Hill/ the end of Quarterbridge Road/ Tromode road, there are 2 posts. One has the pedestrian lights on and the other is bare. I am pretty sure that post had a light unit on it for those driving down stoney road to see, when looking straight ahead. I can not think what traffic sign could have been on it.

I used to think that you got a bad "press" on here. but I am beginning to see why you get so much stick now with your flippant replies to staight forward comments.

You couldn't be more wrong on all counts. There are no bare signal poles, I implore you to look again. My children will not work for the DoI I can assure you of that. You were adamant you were right and I was wrong (although you now say you may be wrong???) even though I was part of a team that installed and commissioned the traffic signals and yet you wonder why I was flippant.

And you could give a f*** otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting in the first place, at this juncture you may not give as much of a f*** but you still give a f***.

There is a reason I started the thread, and it's because I, in my vehicles, can't see the signals properly. I'd've surprised if I am the only one

You are not the only one by a long chaulk/ whatever. Matt is wrong, but for some reason can not bring himself to say so.

The clue is in your last sentence.

You are not the only one by a long chaulk/ whatever. Matt is wrong, but for some reason can not bring himself to say so.

Am I though, it is you that started out as sure as eggs are eggs that you were right, then later you claim down somewhat to accepting that you may be wrong, whereas I have remained resolute in my statements that it was you who was wrong.

Good work again fellas!

Sorry.

You couldn't be more wrong on all counts. There are no bare signal poles, I implore you to look again. My children will not work for the DoI I can assure you of that. You were adamant you were right and I was wrong (although you now say you may be wrong???) even though I was part of a team that installed and commissioned the traffic signals and yet you wonder why I was flippant.

And you could give a f*** otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting in the first place, at this juncture you may not give as much of a f*** but you still give a f***.

I will take a photo in the morning,on my way to work. If I see someboby pretty busy with an anglegrinder removing posts, I will know who it is.

Good work again fellas!

Sorry.

I will take a photo in the morning,on my way to work. If I see someboby pretty busy with an anglegrinder removing posts, I will know who it is.
Fair enough, will you post a photo of the pole even if it has (which it does) a signal head on it? If I am wrong (which I'm not) I promise to work a full Saturday free of charge to the tax payer.

Good work again fellas!

Sorry.

Fair enough, will you post a photo of the pole even if it has (which it does) a signal head on it? If I am wrong (which I'm not) I promise to work a full Saturday free of charge to the tax payer.

Fair do's, and if I am wrong, I'll show my ass in Woolies. thumbsup.gif

It's understandable that different people will have different visibility with the same car.

I've driven a Volvo V40 in the past, which for me, is absolutely lovely to drive, but I sit quite far back compared to a family member who has real difficulty with the car, as she sits closer to the wheel and the shape of the car really affects her view.

This seems to be getting a little agitated. The traffic light gods are not infallible. There have been a few instances including the Onchan array which I seem to remember sustained its own thread for many months here and is definitely a retrograde step from what was there before.

The one in the past few years that stands out the most to me is when they changed the lights at New Castletown Rd / Groves Road. When first commissioned, the new lights did not have a red/amber protecting the right turn into Groves Rd coming from the south. The red/amber were above the green for straight on towards Quarterbridge and the right turn was just a green filter arrow which you had to wait for but with no red light protecting that turn when the green arrow was off. It was bizarre, because it meant that the inner lane of traffic was proceeding on green but the outer lane was stopped waiting for the turn right filter green arrow but without any red light showing to hold it there. It is totally non standard to have that kind of arrangement on a junction with a main bi-directional road. You see it on left filters, or right filters out of one way roads, but not where there is opposing traffic as here. I had never seen anything like it anywhere and whoever came up with that didn't have a clue what they were doing. Few months later they obviously realised their error, or else someone with a bit of sense went to have a look and they changed it so that the red/amber now protect the right turn and the straight on is the lone green filter light as it should have been in the first place.

Archived