Traffic lights

trmpton

Good work again fellas!

Bottom of the road past Ballaquayle school (or whatever it's called now) in both our vehicles if I am front of the queue I can't see any lights without having to look round the a pillar in the car.

I guess we will see some additional lights over the road (where they have been for how ever many years before the "improvements") or lower down the pole like on bucks road.

Who designs and signs these things off?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lights at the end of Athol Street are dangerous. With the crazy light sequence sometimes the left turn and straight on lights can go green twice while the right turn lights stay red throughout.

On two separate occasions now I have seen cars jumping the turn right red light probably because the drivers thought the lights are broken.

Agreed, traffic light sequence on Athol street is bizzare. Why can't all three lights go green at the same time? left down lord street, straight down station hill and right along peel road? Any traffic light experts care to enlighten us please?

It's because of the pedestrian crossings either side of Bank Hill/ Athol Street across Lord Street and Peel Road, which are pedestrian controlled.

So you have human over ride interplay with the sequencing

Good work again fellas!

Bottom of the road past Ballaquayle school (or whatever it's called now) in both our vehicles if I am front of the queue I can't see any lights without having to look round the a pillar in the car.

I guess we will see some additional lights over the road (where they have been for how ever many years before the "improvements") or lower down the pole like on bucks road.

I'm glad it is not just me then, that thought the "new" lights were badly placed. The DOI need to either move the white line back 10 feet, or replace the light that used to be straight ahead and easily seen.

At the moment the only green light that can be seen without craning your neck is the one for pedestrians and for the unsuspecting motorist could be an accident waithing to happen if they thought that light coming on was their que to go.

There are some unused posts at that juction, but I do not know if they are the old posts , or new ones , just waiting to be utilised should enough people notice the error of the sighting of the said new lights.

For what it's worth I don't design the sequencing, timings or stages. There are signal sequences that may not make sense to some, that's generally down to looking at the little picture rather than the bigger one, I can do nothing about that. The red out was dealt with as soon as we received the report, if it was you Tempus who reported it thank you. Athol Street signals are as John Wright has stated, to cater for the additional pedestrian crossing point, this actually improves traffic flow but let's not allow facts to cloud the judgement.

Trmpton; you may be one of those who doesn't like change, if so, I'll apologise on your behalf, the primary and secondary RAG heads are visible to all vehicles behind the stop line, which was moved further back (3m) from the primary head, this head may not be visible to the first car at the stop line but the secondary head most definitely is. We checked all signal heads for visibility from and at all relevant points during commissioning, some did require aligning slightly but this is always the case at commissioning, some fine tuning is necessary.

I hope I have clarified some if not all the issues raised and as always I am more than happy to help in any sensible way I can.

Good work again fellas!

I'm glad it is not just me then, that thought the "new" lights were badly placed. The DOI need to either move the white line back 10 feet, or replace the light that used to be straight ahead and easily seen.

At the moment the only green light that can be seen without craning your neck is the one for pedestrians and for the unsuspecting motorist could be an accident waithing to happen if they thought that light coming on was their que to go.

There are some unused posts at that juction, but I do not know if they are the old posts , or new ones , just waiting to be utilised should enough people notice the error of the sighting of the said new lights.

I think a visit to Specsavers is on the cards for you because there are no unused traffic signal posts.

Good work again fellas!

I think a visit to Specsavers is on the cards for you because there are no unused traffic signal posts.

Sorry.

I thought the posts there with fuck all on them were the same posts that were there that had lights on them.

One of us is wrong and its not me ! I go through there many, many times each day.

Archived