Traffic lights

trmpton

RIght then Matt, another one for you. Pulrose traffic lights. Coming from B&Q way, toward the QB, there's a green filter arrow for straight ahead. Why no amber on that to get you ready to slow down before it goes to red? The green arrow just switches off with no warning.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIght then Matt, another one for you. Pulrose traffic lights. Coming from B&Q way, toward the QB, there's a green filter arrow for straight ahead. Why no amber on that to get you ready to slow down before it goes to red? The green arrow just switches off with no warning.

I've wondered the same, I was about 2m from the line when the green light disappeared, you could get prosecuted for going through a red light through no fault of your own.

Have I missed something?

Depending on findings that were timed for yesterday morning, either MB was going to put in a days overtime at no cost to the taxpayer, or dilli was going to show his arse in Woolworths!

Who won the argument, who pays the penalty?

I checked it out this afternoon in a Berlingo van in several different positions along Stoney Road up to the stop line and found there to be no issues, that's not to say that you and others are not experiencing problems therefore may I suggest that you contact Network Planning - Highways at the Sea Terminal Building to lodge your complaints because I am not authorised to change the layout of the traffic signals, hopefully a full survey can be carried out to identify any issues and a solution if any are to be found. I reiterate that I see no issues personally, whilst accepting that to some, the current position of the secondary RAG head may not be as easily visible as it was.

I don't think it is acceptable that you have only checked the positioning of these lights out in three types of vehicle. Not only that but the vehicle types are all fairly similar. What you need to do is borrow every type of vehicle available on the Island, test the visibility of the lights in every possible seating position and only then can you claim that they are suitably positioned...

I've wondered the same, I was about 2m from the line when the green light disappeared, you could get prosecuted for going through a red light through no fault of your own.

I didn't think the sequence of the lights caused the filter to switch off without the main traffic light? The filter comes on for straight ahead whilst the opposing lanes are live, then the lights go fully green. I haven't seen the filter go off without the main light showing an amber and red.

I didn't think the sequence of the lights caused the filter to switch off without the main traffic light? The filter comes on for straight ahead whilst the opposing lanes are live, then the lights go fully green. I haven't seen the filter go off without the main light showing an amber and red.

It does though. Might not be in every circumstance, but I've experienced it quite a few times. Green arrow on while the red light is on for those turning right, then it just disappears. I doubt it's supposed to do that.

Maybe it's when there are no cars waiting at the red to turn right, so they don't trigger the sequence to turn the main lights green (which would then allow the amber red sequence to follow)?

Well at least it's a thousand percent better than it was when they first put the new lights up. (See #30)

Have I missed something?

Depending on findings that were timed for yesterday morning, either MB was going to put in a days overtime at no cost to the taxpayer, or dilli was going to show his arse in Woolworths!

I demand an answer

It does though. Might not be in every circumstance, but I've experienced it quite a few times. Green arrow on while the red light is on for those turning right, then it just disappears. I doubt it's supposed to do that.

Maybe it's when there are no cars waiting at the red to turn right, so they don't trigger the sequence to turn the main lights green (which would then allow the amber red sequence to follow)?

Mr.Sausages is right, if there is no demand for the right turn the full red will remain whilst the demand for the straight ahead green arrow is in effect this means that when the straight ahead green has reached it's maximum time or there is no demand then the straight ahead green arrow goes out and the full red is illuminated, thus meaning that indeed there is no green to amber to red stage.

In all honesty I am not sure of the legalities of the above but rest assured I will look into it.

Have I missed something?

I demand an answer

I'm correct so he/she can show his/her arse inside Dealz (there's no Woolies) :-)

post-16078-0-62797100-1394645926_thumb.jpg

Mr.Sausages is right, if there is no demand for the right turn the full red will remain whilst the demand for the straight ahead green arrow is in effect this means that when the straight ahead green has reached it's maximum time or there is no demand then the straight ahead green arrow goes out and the full red is illuminated, thus meaning that indeed there is no green to amber to red stage.

In all honesty I am not sure of the legalities of the above but rest assured I will look into it.

Interesting. Whilst there is a statutory defence for passing an amber light I'm not sure the same exists for a red light. Maybe this is the reason why junctions in the UK with individually controlled lanes have a full set of lights for each lane?

Interesting. Whilst there is a statutory defence for passing an amber light I'm not sure the same exists for a red light. Maybe this is the reason why junctions in the UK with individually controlled lanes have a full set of lights for each lane?

Sure that isn't true in every case. But I am pretty sure that there are no right turns across a flow of traffic controlled only by an on off green filter light as we had at that junction for a while. Crazy.

Archived