wanted - a job

Trooper

Over 400 jobs on the job centre, yes I know there's a good few duplicates, but there's work out there.

There may well be 400 jobs on offer at the Job Centre, but a person might only be suited to a handful of them due to their skills, experience and other things. There might be a hundred jobs in financial service but if you've spent most of your working life as a plumber you won't get a look-in there. A person's age also affects their ability to find work. The gentleman in the article must be in his 50s by now? Low paid jobs which require little experience are often given to young people who can be trained up, and who are generally more physically able to handle the rigours of unsocial hours and manual labour. The state of a person's health also comes into it then. Then many jobs require you to have your own transport. Etc. etc.

One of the things he brought up was the abuse of police powers of search. Police are known to use a fabricated pretext to enter and search your property. In the article the police claimed to have seen someone enter the man's property, and used this as grounds for a search. Commonly, if you deal with them they'll ask to come into your property. If you refuse (as you are entitled to do) they will claim you are attempting to conceal something and search the property anyway. Basically, this leads to a situation where the police can enter your property and time they please and have a nose around.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things he brought up was the abuse of police powers of search. Police are known to use a fabricated pretext to enter and search your property. In the article the police claimed to have seen someone enter the man's property, and used this as grounds for a search. Commonly, if you deal with them they'll ask to come into your property. If you refuse (as you are entitled to do) they will claim you are attempting to conceal something and search the property anyway. Basically, this leads to a situation where the police can enter your property and time they please and have a nose around.

Utter bollocks.

Having worked here 18 years after transferring from away I can say I have never seen any powers of entry abused.

Cant speak about your experiences but most people who do have the police through the door generally skip the information that gave police grounds to be there in the first place and just shout about how they've been wronged. If the old bill are through your door there is a reason.

There may well be 400 jobs on offer at the Job Centre, but a person might only be suited to a handful of them due to their skills, experience and other things.

That's what I was getting at with the question; I don't know anyone struggling to find work, so I was wondering what the circumstances are of those that can't find a job.

First I've ever heard of this.

Actually, in the article, nobody had entered the flat; this was just used as an excuse to gain entry.

You are almost right about it being about the company that you keep. If you don't look the part, or live in low quality accommodation you are more likely to have experienced this kind of police interference. If you are a wealthy middle aged person with a nice car and house you won't get hassle.

Personally, I would sooner sell my organs, prostitute myself out, beg, cheat, steal, sell drugs, and -- if all else failed -- top myself than ever claim a penny in benefits from the government. I've worked in offices in a suit and I've not been too proud to clean toilets or sweep floors while between office jobs. A job's a job. There's very little excuse for long-term unemployment on this island.

So you would rather cheat, steal or sell drugs than make a legitimate claim from a social security fund which you have contributed to for that purpose?

As for selling your organs,how much did you get for your brain?

Having now read the article in the Isle of Man Examiner, here are my thoughts:

1) JessTickle is correct. The author is doing himself no favours by having his profile feed set as public.

2) The author complains about having to buy clothes from charity shops which he says has caused him to look "like the classic version of a poor person, with ill-fitting and ill-matched clothes and shabby hair." There are some very good clothes available in charity shops. I myself have worn suit jackets which were from a charity shop. A lot of the clothes are quite conservative in appearance, and not chav-like at all, because the main donator of items to charity shops are people aged over 40, and particularly the over 60s. All sorts of people, both rich and poor, go into charity shops to buy clothes. I know this because I've done voluntary work in a charity shop in addition to a full-time job. Which is another point: if someone working a full-time job can find the time to do voluntary work, why can't someone who doesn't work at all?

3) Lose the earring. It doesn't help.

4) The author complains about the type of accommodation he is at having no utility bills and so the person has an allowance (after rent) reduced to £74 to live on, including food, drink, clothing, transport and hygiene products, etc. I'd just like to say that this is more than I have to spend on such things despite working full-time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

5) The best thing he can do is do voluntary work to build up his confidence and his CV. What potential employers look at (or what I imagine they look at) first and foremost is your current or most immediate job. If they see a massive gap, they're going to move on to the next person's CV. If you can say that for the past 6 months you've been doing volunteer work, it will show you're a serious person and not a time waster. It will also build up your confidence and self-esteem. If you need help getting a suit or something for an interview, you should post on the Isle of Man facebook group Freecycle or else ask at some of the charity shops.

8) I have never had any problems with the Isle of Man Constabulary. They've always been very polite, respectful and understanding. Refusing to allow them into your home, whatever your rights may be, is just silly. They're just doing their job. Let them get on with it. If you treat them politely with respect, they will treat you politely with respect.

So you would rather cheat, steal or sell drugs than make a legitimate claim from a social security fund which you have contributed to for that purpose?

As for selling your organs,how much did you get for your brain?

I have nothing against other people claiming social security. Of course people have every right, when they're between jobs, to apply for financial assistance which they have paid for with their taxes and which I have also paid -- and continue to pay for -- with my taxes. I just won't apply for it myself.

I know people who have had their entitlement stopped because they did not write for two jobs a week. So they now receive nothing. Zero. Zilch. They can't even get dental treatment without paying for it. They have been like that for many months living on friends and family and whatever food can be found in bins etc. (seriously).

What prevented them from writing for two jobs a week? And can't they just re-apply for the assistance? You can apply for an exemption from having to pay for a dental fee on the grounds of low income. Have they tried applying? Generally, you can get NHS dental treatment and you don't have to pay upfront. You can ask if you can come back on pay day to pay it, or set-up an installment plan, so I don't think in the case of emergency you're likely to be refused treatment if you're unable to pay there and then.

I feel a bit cross now - todays little jolly jaunt to M & S for a bag full of goodies, Noa Bakehouse for coffee etc, etc is not what someone on the absolute breadline can do, in fact there are many in work that can't do that, or afford to have a mobile phone

And as for "a well earned mug of coffee" after your day out - you're having a laugh mate

Any employer who looks at a prospective employees Facebook is a ghoul - linkedin is for all that kind of poncery. Facebook is a social tool, I don't have mine open but I'm not particularly bothered about anything that is on it.

Archived