wanted - a job

Trooper

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point but I suspect it depends entirely on the circumstances. I don't know the specifics of this case but lets hypothetically say you are a chartered accountant working for PWC and you have a good career, earning £50k pa. You get made redundant because of a down turn in business and you need to look for a new job. Clearly in this instance, a few months cleaning cars down Star Wash or flipping burgers at KFC would be disastrous on your CV and it would be much much better to do nothing at all.

I agree. I haven't put all the jobs I've done onto my CV. In interviews, they seem to focus on your most recent experience and you can be subjected to typecasting, like actors can be typecast into gangster roles or whatever.

I'm more shocked that people are working considerable hours and only coming out a bit better than JC

Shocked? I've been ranting about it on here for over a year (lol). It's absolutely despicable how much people at the bottom get paid. The German government is now introducing a minimum wage which will be the equivalent of £7 an hour, and I find it refreshing to hear that their economists say this will: "help people spend more and stimulate the economy, promoting economic growth." [Source] On the other hand, any suggested increase here is met with ridiculous claims that it will destroy the economy and increase unemployment. No, the real reason they're against the minimum wage is because they're greedy b-stards and, like I have just posted on another thread, it serves to keep the workers constantly on the edge, living from pay cheque to pay cheque, so they'll be good sheeple and not get out of hand. And, like you point out, they have us blaming each other or demonising people on welfare to distract us from the real issue.

That is a great post Declan. How many people could survive if one (or another) of the house hold bread winners lost their job? It's really tough. Mr Bees let me chose to give up work after having our last child, after considering child care fees, petrol, work clothes & all that stuff, it wasn't really worth the bother and I get to play house wife all the time, massively under rated fun btw (lunch, coffee, knitting, painting, sewing, odd bit of house work here and there, controlling the world via internet forums and Facebook, yeah under rated). We certainly noticed the reduction in income and could maybe last a while but gosh, its a thought provoking 'for instance' innit?

Edit: When I say "Mr Bees let me" I mean we discussed it and came to a mutual agreement on the matter, not that he rented me out or anything.

...but lets hypothetically say you are a chartered accountant working for PWC and you have a good career, earning £50k pa. You get made redundant because of a down turn in business and you need to look for a new job. Clearly in this instance, a few months cleaning cars down Star Wash or flipping burgers at KFC would be disastrous on your CV and it would be much much better to do nothing at all.

Merkin, take your point on the individual circumstances aspect, but why not take the 'unwanted' job, relieve the burden to the taxpayer, then erase the regrettable period from a CV?

Having been unemployed on more than one occasion I know 1st hand the difficulties, but my main priority was to find another job...and any job at that.

From experience, I've always found it easier to get a job when I already had one.

TBT.

If an employer asks in your interview what you have done between jobs and you lie and are found out you would be sacked from the new job without question.

Archived