wanted - a job

Trooper

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly does - I wonder what he would do now if he had the offer of full time employment? Seems like this is not the first time that he has worked at these events and others like them

What is the script with dole payments?

He was looking for a job

Then he found a job

Heaven knows you're a miserable cow

Not at all.

I would be extremely happy if he found full time employment as his series of articles implies that he wishes to

My point is that if you are going to run a three week series of how being out of work is so difficult, then really that is what you would expect the individual's situation to be.

If you are genuinely looking for full time employment, not many employers if you are taken on in say during April, are going to be keen on their new employee then advising that they are not available to work because they are already employed for one festival in May, one in June and two in July and from the looks of things this is only the start.

It looks as if this is regular summer employment, its all in the public domain, from the horses mouth, for anyone who wishes to look.

Therefore its more like its "anything but easy" to find a full time job that allows you to work at festivals during the summer or its anything but easy to find a job that lasts six months during the winter

The question about dole was a genuine question - if you are employed by the one company to work at festivals but not every week during the summer, do you get dole for the weeks you don't work or are you classed as employed? Do you still keep any housing benefit?

I did have a certain amount of sympathy until I was pointed to the facebook account, then my stance changed a bit

If that makes me a miserable cow, then I'm happy to own it tongue.png

Is it not simple? Why wouldn't he do what anyone else would? If offered a full time job - take it and forget about the part time one?

Obviously, you can't sign on in the weeks where you're working, especially when every self-appointed guardian of the public purse has their eye on you, so he won't claim those weeks.

People were saying he should take any job to keep busy, keep up his cv etc, then he does that, and people pick holes in it.

When I was on the Supp Ben, I had £5 a week left over after I'd paid my rent and put something away for bills, I got used to pasta and tomatoes and was grateful for safeways supersavers margarine. Ha mobile phone, ha car, ha holiday, ha cup of coffee in town, it just isn't like that, you're poor and you know it. JC sounds like he is doing alright out of it if I'm honest.

I don't know the circumstances of this particular case but I disagree that a person should take a job that they do not wish to do whilst they look for work that they enjoy doing. That to me is the whole point of benefits, they hold someone over whilst they look for a job they want. Clearly this would not apply to someone wishing to be a footballer or a rally driver but assuming there are jobs that they would like to do they should hold out for something that suits them.

Fair point but I suspect it depends entirely on the circumstances. I don't know the specifics of this case but lets hypothetically say you are a chartered accountant working for PWC and you have a good career, earning £50k pa. You get made redundant because of a down turn in business and you need to look for a new job. Clearly in this instance, a few months cleaning cars down Star Wash or flipping burgers at KFC would be disastrous on your CV and it would be much much better to do nothing at all.

But the Chartered Accountant would have redundancy pay, savings possibly, stuff to sell so probably wouldn't sign on.

One of the shocking things about JC's article is the comments. I'm not talking about the rancid creature who thinks she's won a great victory because she's exposed the fact he has internet access and smiles in the photos on Facebook. I'm more shocked that people are working considerable hours and only coming out a bit better than JC and that some of them seem to blame benefit claimants for their plight.

Despite only being a couple of pay cheques for being in the same boat themselves (a bout of bad health, or a downturn in their bosses fortunes), they seem to want to increase the suffering of those worse off than themselves.

Meanwhile, the richest in society get a tax cap, the very wealthy get a low rate of tax, heads of civil service depts earn more than Cameron, & the government introduces user pays taxes like the toilet tax that hit the poorest disproportionately.

And the Govt have got the poor blaming the very poor for their poverty.

Archived