wanted - a job

Trooper

The colleagues and I were talking about this earlier at work. We just can't understand how people can have the nerve to sit around all day doing nothing but drinking coffee and then expect to be paid for it at the taxpayers' expense. But for them to then turn around and say they should be paid more is just priceless.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ vulgarian

You're not from down south are you

No.

What happened to points 6 and 7, TJ? As for point 8, this attitude is particularly stupid, but your politics are so muddled it's completely pointless trying to have a sensible discussion about it. I have made a resolution not to argue with you!

Any employer who looks at a prospective employees Facebook is a ghoul - linkedin is for all that kind of poncery. Facebook is a social tool, I don't have mine open but I'm not particularly bothered about anything that is on it.

I don't think it's always unreasonable to check facebook, particularly for a customer facing role.

What happened to points 6 and 7, TJ? As for point 8, this attitude is particularly stupid, but your politics are so muddled it's completely pointless trying to have a sensible discussion about it. I have made a resolution not to argue with you!

I deleted a couple of points as I felt they just reiterated other points.

If a police officer politely knocks on the door and respectfully asks to be able to go inside, that's hardly in the same category as an unreasonable search and seizure where they bash your door down without first asking or seeking a warrant. I don't see how my politics have any relevance to what is being discussed in the Examiner. When you get gobby with the police, it creates a hostile situation and in fact by getting gobby and disrespectful to them you are giving them a reasonable reason to suspect something funny is going on.

Who said anything about getting gobby? You can politely decline to allow them access and they can still come up with a reason to force entry. Politeness should have absolutely nothing to do with it, and we should have the right to be very impolite if we choose. Of course, try this and you will find yourself arrested for 'threatening and abusive language' or some such bullshit charge.

There is nothing about a police officer that makes them worthy of respect in my view. I disagree with many of the laws that the police are there to enforce. I disagree with several aspects of their role including in this case the use of force on innocent people, and the invasion of privacy. I would not voluntarily let a police officer into my property out of principle.

The Police are not just knocking on random people's houses, though, are they? I have never had a Police officer just randomly come to my house and ask to be let in. There's always been a reason why they're there, even if it didn't relate to me personally. For example, they called around the house asking if I'd seen something one time and we made them tea/coffee and gave them biscuits. That's how NORMAL people behave. Only dodgy people are going to act shady when the Police knock on their door.

I've not read the article, but is there anything about his background? There does seem to be rather a lot of work out there in some sectors and I'm wondering if there's something particular to his story that's making it challenging?

No, it doesn't, just that he has certain skills. Not sure from that article if part 2 is about him or someone else - I can't afford to waste money on that paper any more so I'll have to wait and see if they post it up online (or if someone who can afford to buy it will scan it) to find out.

I think the police are recruiting at the moment. At the moment, tey seem to be trying to snare in the young and vulnerable, i.e. those without much prior interaction with the police and without good job opportunities.

I don't think they're trying to "snare" anyone. They're looking to recruit people and to be involved with young people and keep them on the safe and narrow and away from trouble. Would you rather these young people be unemployed and up before the courts for doing drugs or smashing shop windows while drunk and disorderly? It's when people are young that the rest of their life is determined. It's good that young people are given an opportunity to be recruited into an admirable and socially beneficial profession -- law & order.

If the old bill are through your door there is a reason.

Yeah, your kid is a stoner .....How many parents have the police through their doors because their child has 'a poxy bit of weed'? I know mine did (you have no idea how sorry I am/was about this), my mate had the same thing happen to her, it's not on. People should be safe from strangers in their home, regardless of what badges they've got.

If the old bill are through your door there is a reason.

Yeah, your kid is a stoner .....How many parents have the police through their doors because their child has 'a poxy bit of weed'? I know mine did (you have no idea how sorry I am/was about this), my mate had the same thing happen to her, it's not on. People should be safe from strangers in their home, regardless of what badges they've got.

In the UK there are 266 powers allowing officials to enter your home, and not all require a warrant. Those who can break in include firefighters, in an emergency, and police arresting a suspect. The Environment Agency can gain access without a warrant where there is danger of pollution or damage to public health. Loads more.

Google 'Harry Snook' (Barrister) and his report if you don't believe it. There's probably even more powers by now as that report was done around 2007.

Archived