wanted - a job

Trooper

For the bloke complaining in the Examiner for a second week running about being unemployed.

Here's an idea: build up a CV with voluntary work for a charity. Nothing wrong with cleaning jobs either.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the bloke complaining in the Examiner for a second week running about being unemployed.

Here's an idea: build up a CV with voluntary work for a charity. Nothing wrong with cleaning jobs either.

"Don’t think that I’m trying to make an excuse for not taking ‘any’ job. When you are that poor, the difference between £74 a week on the dole and £100 a week for a 16 hour-a-week job at minimum wage, less tax and stamps and travel expenses, makes many part time jobs so poorly paid that you would need two of them to replace the amount you get on the dole.

Even if you can get these two jobs they could be in different towns, or they might need you at the same times. In some jobs you won’t know what shift you’ll have until the day before, making it impossible to have another.

You’re told that you’re jobseeker’s allowance will be stopped if you don’t apply for these pseudo jobs. What the authorities think will happen then is an open question. I have asked them: ‘What, seriously, do you expect people to do, once you stop their money?’ They have no real answer. The officers aren’t being spiteful, but they have to follow their internal rules. If you haven’t actively met their requirements they have no alternative but to disallow your claim.

So you begin to apply for cleaning, car valeting and burger-flipping jobs, as well as the job that you used to do. And you still get no replies, not even the courtesy of a letter or email.

At this point you have no money and your rent isn’t paid. You have to immediately make a new claim, which can take anywhere from a few days to six weeks to process, during which time you have no money. When you explain this to the person behind the glass, they answer that there is nothing they can do."

For years down there they were telling people that they had to apply for at least 2 advertised jobs every week(Did not matter what they were) or they would lose their benefit entitlement. this claim actually had no basis in law and was just something that they had made up to "encourage" people to find employment.

This actuality was that the UK law they used as the yardstick stated that the applicant had to take at least 2 "steps" every week to find work "Steps" could have been -- cold calling a business ,sticking an advert in the paper or a multitude of other stuff.

Don't know if the law has been changed in the last year or so but for a number of years they certainly did mislead claimants with the 2 jobs a week bullshit as they had no rights to stop payments on that basis ,even though they obviously did sanction more than one person.

Any people out there that are struggling, I would say don't take at face value what they are telling you, ask for the link to the relevant legislation then go to the government library and check for yourself.

I know people who have had their entitlement stopped because they did not write for two jobs a week. So they now receive nothing. Zero. Zilch. They can't even get dental treatment without paying for it. They have been like that for many months living on friends and family and whatever food can be found in bins etc. (seriously).

Still it allows the likes of Allan Bell Chief Minister and his highly paid cohorts and civil service fat cats to brag that employment is down. I would say unemployment isn't down, they've just kicked people off the register, off the system. Job done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-26928359

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=70479

I too am very suspicious of these 'unemployment' figures and how they are calculated and what percentage of people not working they actually represent. They need looking into.

Don't trust any statistic you haven't made up yourself ;)

Personally, I would sooner sell my organs, prostitute myself out, beg, cheat, steal, sell drugs, and -- if all else failed -- top myself than ever claim a penny in benefits from the government. I've worked in offices in a suit and I've not been too proud to clean toilets or sweep floors while between office jobs. A job's a job. There's very little excuse for long-term unemployment on this island.

I've not read the article, but is there anything about his background? There does seem to be rather a lot of work out there in some sectors and I'm wondering if there's something particular to his story that's making it challenging?

Over 400 jobs on the job centre, yes I know there's a good few duplicates, but there's work out there.

Anyone here struggling to find work?

I wouldn't mind betting there are lots of women who would like to work but they don't register as unemployed because they haven't got childcare for their children. It's a chicken and egg situation. You can't find/afford childcare without going out to work and you can't be available for work because you have to look after your child.

Archived