Manx Money for Zimbabwe and the Central African Republic

Shake me up Judy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting history for Zimbabwe or as it used to be called Rhodesia, named after Cecil Rhodes.

Cecil Rhodes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Rhodes

Got some friends who are originally from there. Used to be a lovely place but now it's just a lawless, third world dump.

Sorry to hear that Lxxx, perhaps we should be grateful the IOM does not have massive reserves of crude oil, Gold or Diamonds. Although there might be Gas reserves in the Irish sea, get ready for the IOM having 1 Trillion worth of debt and needing a IMF bailout.

Interesting history for Zimbabwe or as it used to be called Rhodesia, named after Cecil Rhodes.

Cecil Rhodes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Rhodes

Got some friends who are originally from there. Used to be a lovely place but now it's just a lawless, third world dump.

I've been twice and its an absolute shit hole of a place, where I would imagine some civil servant will bugger off with any money given in 10 seconds flat. Hideous country.

ermm.gif So, so sad and terribly sick that none of the people or organisations with power to help will do anything.ermm.gif

People and organizations have done loads over the years but the money always ends up going into the offshore account of some fat evil bastard, and there are literally thousands of fat evil bastards. You have to question why we are part of a system that says how awful it is before making a small donation, but in the same breathe allows the people making it this way to bank all the cash outside the country and manage their affairs from very nice houses in London, Paris or Monaco etc.

ermm.gif So, so sad and terribly sick that none of the people or organisations with power to help will do anything.ermm.gif

People and organizations have done loads over the years but the money always ends up going into the offshore account of some fat evil bastard, and there are literally thousands of fat evil bastards. You have to question why we are part of a system that says how awful it is before making a small donation, but in the same breathe allows the people making it this way to bank all the cash outside the country and manage their affairs from very nice houses in London, Paris or Monaco etc.

If we don't someone else will.

If we don't someone else will.

Hardly the best or most defensible moral stance is it?

I'm always reminded of the comment from an American senator, whose name escapes me now, who asked why is it that these countries can't feed themselves and provide the basic essentials of life ? The West has been doing it for hundreds of years, long before modern industrialisation, and long before the invention of modern agriculture, building materials, technology, knowledge, experience, education, investment, foreign aid.....the list is endless. It has been clear to see for many, that simply sending money to these countries is not the answer, and can even in some cases make things worse.

Keeping these developing countries in debt is a way of controlling them, I recommend everyone do a search for John Perkins "Confessions of an Economic Hit-man". He does a great job explaining how leaders of developing nations are bribed or cajoled into accepting massive loans which can't be paid back, so they have to sell off national assets.

I'm always reminded of the comment from an American senator, whose name escapes me now, who asked why is it that these countries can't feed themselves and provide the basic essentials of life ? The West has been doing it for hundreds of years, long before modern industrialisation, and long before the invention of modern agriculture, building materials, technology, knowledge, experience, education, investment, foreign aid.....the list is endless. It has been clear to see for many, that simply sending money to these countries is not the answer, and can even in some cases make things worse.

The reason is simple, laziness pure and simple although you cant say that or you will be slagged off as being racist or something. Look at the Philippines after that disaster they had a few years ago, I saw a TV crew that went back to visit the same people they had interviewed just after the disaster and the one guy I remember was sat outside his hut with piles of debris still there from the disaster. He was along with his neighbours mostly unemployed so had plenty of time on their hands; when asked why he had not moved the rubbish to where the authorities could collect it (the main road about 30 yards away) he just looked at the camera with a bewildered look on his face. He said it was up to the government to tidy the place, that is the problem, attitudes like that the third world over........................

Archived