Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Demonstrations

Chinahand

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Still going on, but everything's deadlocked. The government, after their earlier overreaction, have played a clever game: I think the protestors are losing support among the normal working populace because they are being inconvenienced by the road closures, every single day, and they are getting tired of it. Taxi drivers hate them, lots of shop owners don't have a good word for them.

Funnily enough, most of the student contingent actually abandon their tents to go to lectures during the day, and return to them later. I'm not sure this would be how a British student protest would roll...

a few tents "blocking off" a street or two to the business district and a few students is about all I could see but some locals are a bit disgruntled as the roads are closed to traffic, the tour guide was of the opinion that it was fizzling out and expected the powers that be to clear the roads soon

• 4 years later...

The Hong Kong students and young people demonstrating against the extradition bill going through the local Hong Kong legislature are brave. 

The CPC would crush them in an instant if it had its way. Something it is working hard to achieve chipping away at one country two systems.  

I wonder how news of this seeps across the border into Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

Keep strong Hong Kong. Stay different.

Au contraire my dear old thing. I have been monitoring this event quite closely, quite hard not to really, our trusty media is all over it for some reason, can't think why? In fact I have even posted a Manxman on the ground to report back to me on events. For some reason he doesn't seem quite as melodramatic about it as the trustworthy media or your blindly biased good self though old boy.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-manx-resident-feels-safe-in-hong-kong-despite-protests/

Archived