Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Demonstrations

Chinahand

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a change hey?

IMG_7982.JPG

And yes, an even older one is still lurking in my inbox, but I'll respect your good lady's privacy as it includes her too.  Given the picture above may I beg forgiveness for posting this, and of course will edit if you disapprove!

Keep well ... when you ride the buses to 开发区 I bet they are no longer as rough as they were nearly a quarter of a century ago when a younger me headed into 天河!

Ah, 广州 I miss ya!

干杯, Alan, and glad we can still talk bollox across many thousand miles!

18 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Quite a change hey?

IMG_7982.JPG

And yes, an even older one is still lurking in my inbox, but I'll respect your good lady's privacy as it includes her too.  Given the picture above may I beg forgiveness for posting this, and of course will edit if you disapprove!

Keep well ... when you ride the buses to 开发区 I bet they are no longer as rough as they were nearly a quarter of a century ago when a younger me headed into 天河!

Ah, 广州 I miss ya!

干杯, Alan, and glad we can still talk bollox across many thousand miles!

Spot on China.We had good fights.. you anti party, me pro, but how things go strange.

Everyone is still pro party here of course, but that is default.

Massive anti west sentiment is on the go here. Has been for 3 or 4 years.

It is helped by Trump and his fake news rhetoric

Trump is mao to the power of 3.

Does the red scarfe count. Fuck me.. so proud me when daughter got hers.. superb.

I thought it would mean she could strut about with a cane, smaking ppl over the head. A lefties dream.

Nope, it means 100% score is average.. an AAplus score needs payment to the teachers friend who has an afterschool.

I am confused about protesters. 

How can they afford to protest?

I get the point of 2 million ppl, same day, same time, lose a days wages.

I would lose a wage for that

But I would much rather be campaing in china against the houkou education system.. but I cant.. visa.

But China... thanks for the photo.

An awesome reminder of how solid MF is.

Chinahand... I cant thank you enough for posting that photo.That was the 'I have the Brit baby photo' I suggested it is the we have a Chinese daughter who can change things.... daughter in photo can be brit anytime.. mom wants sooner than later.. I am happy with work visa. I  want my daughter to change China, Chinese have no desire to change China

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, ScotsAlan said:

Chinahand... I cant thank you enough for posting that photo.That was the 'I have the Brit baby photo' I suggested it is the we have a Chinese daughter who can change things.... daughter in photo can be brit anytime.. mom wants sooner than later.. I am happy with work visa. I  want my daughter to change China, Chinese have no desire to change China

Can someone translate any of that?

I will say I think the demonstrators have scored an own-goal by ransacking the legislative assembly - and there are all sorts of conspiracy theories going about claiming they were encouraged by agent provocateurs, or lured in by a tactical police withdrawal.

Civil disobedience is always a fine line - the demonstrators feel the CPC cares not a whit for the consent of the governed and will impose its will upon them, and hence are rejecting it and all its sham institutions it uses to enforce its will.

There's some truth to that - but also there is a constitutional process in Hong Kong that is valuable.  Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  The demonstrators have to bring the population with them and up to now have been broadly supported.

Vandalism and being violent, rather than peaceful objecting to the violence of an non-democratic authority, will lose them support.

What next?  It was interesting listening to radio 4's PM this evening and hearing Anson Chan (former Hong Kong Chief Secretary - ie head of its civil service) saying Tsang Yok-sing (a former President of Legco) and an unnamed Beijing academic had called for universal suffrage in Hong Kong. Would the CPC accept that?  It's very doubtful, but for Chinese establishment figures to raise it is intriguing!

• 3 months later...

So sad to see how fragile social peace is and how easily it can collapse.

What will be the future for a population who simply wanted the right to elect their Chief executive.

People will fight for liberty, even when it destroys.

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

the only reason its still going on is because china don't want another tiananmen square legacy........

That is the CCP's rock ... their hard place is that they also don't want to be under democratic scrutiny.

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

The west do though.

Oh the cynicism.  I don't think the "west" what ever that is wish to see more political violence in China.

Most people want other people to be able to live in a decent society where anyone can tell anyone else to go to hell, but nobody feels inclined to do so.*

China isn't that ... if you think certain things, say certain things you are at extreme risk from an oppressive state.  Desiring that this changes, and seeing that as a way for China to become a stronger society with greater social wealth, isn't a desire for a repeat of Tiananmen.

*With Thanks to R.H. Tawney.

Archived