Interesting Local Talks/Topics

John

Hi all,

I am Chairman of a local environment charity and we are looking to organise some free talks on local topics/interests.

Does any one have contacts for people that might be willing to do talks on subjects about the Island, its environment/history etc.

We have already had a Calf of Man walk/talk with John Wright (ex Head Teacher nor Lawyer!)

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. The Charity will pay for the hire of a hall/transport/tea & coffee etc and a small fee to the person taking the talk.

Cheers

John

I did a walk with a few friends around Douglas some years ago, with a guy who was very knowledgeable about the history of tourism in the IOM, and Douglas in particular. I've forgotten most of what he told us but at the time it was absolutely fascinating. There must be plenty of people who really know their stuff on this, and I can vouch for what an eye-opening experience it can be. Why don't you contact the Manx Museum, who will put you in touch with someone. Peter Kelly (Onchan Commissioners) is another source of all things Manx and he's a wonderful speaker too.

You'd have a challenge finding anyone willing to do a listen, let alone any that did attend awake after 15 minutes.

Barrie Stevens is a far more interesting poster than you. And much funnier too.

And not a sociopathetic twat like you either.

He's an all round good guy isn't he.

Anyway, interesting talks of a local bent? Not easy, but I'd be happy to share my experience of finding a two pound coin in the car park at Tesco some years ago. Honestly, I had just done a small shopping trip around the local branch of the internationally recognised supermarket chain and I was returning with my purchases to my motor vehicle, which was parked as far from the entrance to the store as it is possible to be whilst remaining in the car park. I can remember it as if it was yesterday. I had one of the smaller trolleys rather than a large one which can easily accommodate a small child. Just as I approached my vehicle I noticed something briefly glinting as it caught the sunlight, and I looked down and lo! And behold! It was a shiny two pound coin! I couldn't believe my luck. Especially as moments earlier, I had lost one just like it between my vehicle and the supermarket. It was an amazing coincidence. Fate was looking out for me on that day alright! I've been dining out on it ever since.

Anyway, interesting talks of a local bent? Not easy, but I'd be happy to share my experience of finding a two pound coin in the car park at Tesco some years ago. Honestly, I had just done a small shopping trip around the local branch of the internationally recognised supermarket chain and I was returning with my purchases to my motor vehicle, which was parked as far from the entrance to the store as it is possible to be whilst remaining in the car park. I can remember it as if it was yesterday. I had one of the smaller trolleys rather than a large one which can easily accommodate a small child. Just as I approached my vehicle I noticed something briefly glinting as it caught the sunlight, and I looked down and lo! And behold! It was a shiny two pound coin! I couldn't believe my luck. Especially as moments earlier, I had lost one just like it between my vehicle and the supermarket. It was an amazing coincidence. Fate was looking out for me on that day alright! I've been dining out on it ever since.

Hadn't realised that Tesco sold small children. Bastards are trying to corner every damned market. Were you happy with your purchase?

Archived