Ferry broken down and no fix until after holidays!

Dunroamin

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently in the UK, and was due back tomorrow from Birkenhead. We heard, by chance, that our sailing was cancelled - still nothing official from the steam packet. I'm on call Monday, so first thing today when I heard the boat was off booked myself a flight from Liverpool, so weather permitting I'll be back and ready for 'duty' by 9am. Family will hopefully make it back soon enough afterwards.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse, but worse things happen. One thing the SP could do though is just set up a recorded message on the phone line, if nothing else to avoid paying 10p/min on hold to be told they don't know anything yet.

Possibility of a dusting of snow overnight so Ronaldsway could be closed for a few days.

I'm hoping wrighty gets back on time cos we've got a date in the operating theatre on Tuesday.

My sister in law was due on the boat this morning taking her boys to see their father. She managed to get a flight.

This is why we need two Ben type boats, abandon the fast craft, and have a spare. It's why we need a new service level agreement and a new franchise period to allow the Steam Packet, or its replacement, to sort out its fleet.

Let's face it, if the franchise is allocated to someone else the Steam Packet will be up for sale at a knock down price, so whoever wins will only have to get one new ropax vessel.

Finally, after some 11 hours, IOM Today has managed to get the story, in its barest form, on to their website but absolutely nothing about the recent updates as to what the IOMSPco have done and the new sailings!

May I suggest that this is very poor and unhelpful journalism..................

Well we've had our text now telling us what we already knew, and that the phone lines will be open from 6.30am tomorrow. So no doubt that's exactly when it'll be impossible to get through as they'll have two manning the phones and 200 trying to call in simultaneously.

Better I reckon would be to bounce people from today's and tomorrow's sailings to the next available slots, tell people what that is, and only ask them to phone if it's no good. Most people probably just want to travel ASAP, but accept they may not be first in the queue. We'd certainly prefer a definite reservation rather than a phone-call lottery.

Also, what about the poor sods stuck in/traveling to Dublin? Doesn't seem to be anything for them yet.

Finally, after some 11 hours, IOM Today has managed to get the story, in its barest form, on to their website but absolutely nothing about the recent updates.....

May I suggest that this is very poor and unhelpful journalism..................

The concluding sentiment can be applied to IOM Today in totality....this current IOMSPCo story merely being one illustration.

I good friend of mine works for the racket. He has had a fantastic day. One woman told him that she hopes he "gets cancer and nobody helps".

A disturbingly high percentage of the public behave abominably towards those involved in service industries.

I good friend of mine works for the racket. He has had a fantastic day. One woman told him that she hopes he "gets cancer and nobody helps".

"...and I've made a booking for you two weeks on Wednesday, madam."

or like an airline would do, a ban from travelling with the company !

Archived