Ferry broken down and no fix until after holidays!

Dunroamin

Unfortunately, this sort of situation is inevitable. It's just made more critical when it happens during a major holiday period.

While I am not aware of their financial position with regard to their previous sell out, I believe pressure for a quick renegotiation of the "User Agreement" and/or the identification of the future provider must be resisted so that the right solution for us users can be fully evaluated by experts.

We must not be forced into making a quick decision based just on the "needs" of the current service provider.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the advancements in technology, you'd think things would have improved yet we now have less ships, less reliability, less routes, and higher prices. Bring back the wooden ships with sails and the steam engine ships wihch would sail in any weather and could be repaired by people here on the Isle of Man.

Why stop there ? Bring back the trireme, galley slaves, and the lash. 'You there in row three, pull hard on that oar or Tescos won't get their daily bread delivery' Well it worked for the Greeks and they built an empire on it....

With all the advancements in technology, you'd think things would have improved yet we now have less ships, less reliability, less routes, and higher prices. Bring back the wooden ships with sails and the steam engine ships wihch would sail in any weather and could be repaired by people here on the Isle of Man.

Why stop there ? Bring back the trireme, galley slaves, and the lash. 'You there in row three, pull hard on that oar or Tescos won't get their daily bread delivery' Well it worked for the Greeks and they built an empire on it....

Is Tesco's Greek...?

TJ In the old days the visiting trade justified a large number of ships on the IOM run...Now you have just enough to reflect the Island's true population and market...Very mickey mouse place in the great scheme of things...

And today ship construction and ship owning and design are beset by a flood of environmental and ecological legislation, rules, regs, directives, conventions & etc such that nothing so simple as the past is possible...

The good old days of a Chief Engineer called "Jock"" in overalls holding a handful of cotton waste and answering a brass telegraph from the bridge are long gone. I doubt many ships now even have a man in the engine space most of the time.

What on earth does an ancient system based on slave labour have to do with my post? I'm pretty sure the Steam Packet Company back in the 1800s did not use slave labour, or oars for that matter.

Is there any moral or other obligation I wonder to charter aircraft and get at least some people off the rock?

Hey, look on the bright side. At least we've got an open skies policy.....rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, how long does the island have to have no proper service for the user agreement to be at risk?

And spuds and herrings were better, too. You're talking out of your patriotic behind again, TJ. The old, old ships hardly had any stabilisers and would be considered inherently unsafe these days. If you had said "Build another Lady of Mann in the style of the last one" I may have agreed, but partially also only because I worked on that lovely boat and she rocked!

Unlucky for the Racket on this occasion but good that they put safety first (which they always have. Cannot fault them there one bit!) Someone quickly check the agreement in how far this will affect required service levels, and someone should seriously also raise this in Tynwald to see how it will affect local businesses.

Two further points..............

1. Why can the manufacturer not "conjure" up an engineer to look at the problem until after the holidays?

2. Why are the IOMSPco still prepared to take a booking and payment from me for a trip from Dublin to IOM tonight when it is obvious to everyone that this sailing cannot take place leaving a number (there are no cabins available for booking so there must be some passengers) of people stuck in Ireland? Surely booking should be suspended until the sailings are known as there would otherwise be an argument about refund of fares paid?

PS None taken Paswt!!

So I'm stuck in the UK and after being away for three weeks dealing with a family death, I would like to get home. After driving 200 miles to Birkenhead through some pretty snowy conditions, I get a text from the steam packet saying the boat is cancelled. It took about sixty redials to get through to them and I was then on hold for twenty five minutes. I was told they really has no idea when the next sailing would be and that they are trying to get the Manannan back into service. Was told that they would phone me once they had me booked onto the next sailing and for me to keep an eye on their social website. I take it they mean their page on facebook, but I can't seem to find it.

They did give me a 50% refund on my ticket, something to do with a new EU ruling they said.

Hopefully will be home for the New Year.

So I'm stuck in the UK and after being away for three weeks dealing with a family death, I would like to get home. After driving 200 miles to Birkenhead through some pretty snowy conditions, I get a text from the steam packet saying the boat is cancelled. It took about sixty redials to get through to them and I was then on hold for twenty five minutes. I was told they really has no idea when the next sailing would be and that they are trying to get the Manannan back into service. Was told that they would phone me once they had me booked onto the next sailing and for me to keep an eye on their social website. I take it they mean their page on facebook, but I can't seem to find it.

They did give me a 50% refund on my ticket, something to do with a new EU ruling they said.

Hopefully will be home for the New Year.

Wishing you good luck and a speedy resolution for your sake!

Incidentally, have they agreed to meet your accomodation costs whilst you wait for them to sail?

Archived