Ferry broken down and no fix until after holidays!

Dunroamin

This is the trouble with this fancy newfangled computer locked technology. It can't be fixed by a bloke with a lathe, an oil can and a lump hammer and made to go on indefinitely. A bit like modern cars or TETRA systems for that matter.

The manufacturer has you by the short and curlies and you have to have them come and cast a spell on it (plug in the jealously guarded software) to make it work again. Then, in a few years they will tell you it's all obsolete and can no longer be supported so you'll have to buy a new one. A bit like your laptop or TETRA systems for that matter.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me get this straight - the boat broke and can't sail until fixed due to safety concerns. The steam packet has been informing customers of the cancellation and is getting ready to bring in reserve freight cover, probably later today if it is ready in dock to sail, and is arranging for mannanan to return for passenger services. they can't say exactly when because they have to get everything ready, but likely to be relatively quickly. they are compensating and paying peoples costs.

what exactly is wrong with any of that? seems they are doing everything they can

Let me get this straight - the boat broke and can't sail until fixed due to safety concerns. The steam packet has been informing customers of the cancellation and is getting ready to bring in reserve freight cover, probably later today if it is ready in dock to sail, and is arranging for mannanan to return for passenger services. they can't say exactly when because they have to get everything ready, but likely to be relatively quickly. they are compensating and paying peoples costs.

what exactly is wrong with any of that? seems they are doing everything they can

Rant rant rant Tesco....rant rant rant...competition...rant rant nationalise the planes...

Be a boring thread with just that though.

I would just like to congratulate the IOMSPco on their response in all respects except that the refunds availability is not mentioned on the sailing information telephone line which has not been updated since 11.15 this morning....I think their ready acceptance of the need to refund people for the extra costs incurred is superb service!

It's absolutely pathetic people saying "its taking 25 mins to get through" ... they probably think they are the only people trying to call. They don't have an unlimited supply of phone lines or staff to answer the phone.

And as for "they don't know what's going on a the moment". They probably don't. They're the reservations staff answering the phone. The people behind the scenes were assessing the problem and deciding what they're going to do.

They don't expect things to go wrong. And it's absolutely impossible to have a crew and ferry on standby every single day of the year.

They are adapting to the situation as quickly as they can and getting the fast craft prepared.

You'd think they could just magic a boat out of their arse the way some people are talking.

I was told they really has no idea when the next sailing would be and that they are trying to get the Manannan back into service. Was told that they would phone me once they had me booked onto the next sailing and for me to keep an eye on their social website. I take it they mean their page on facebook, but I can't seem to find it.

Annoyingly, there are two Isle of Man Steam Packet Facebook pages:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Isle-of-Man-Steam-Packet-Company/107879482568239

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Isle-of-Man-Steam-Packet/103356939743193

or perhaps it's the same one...

Not Steam Packet fault as it would appear that one is automatically generated from wikipedia, or something

Latest from IOM Steam Packet:-
Sailing update:
Following the cancellation of this morning’s Ben-my-Chree sailing due to an issue with the steering gear, Steam Packet Company engineers have now extensively tested those parts of the steering gear equipment which they are able to access.
As a result, the Company has been able to conclude that the fault lies within the hydraulic actuator, the repair of which will require assistance from the equipment manufacturer. It is believed that the hydraulic actuator seals may have failed. This equipment was fully serviced, and these seals all renewed, at a recent major overhaul.
The Steam Packet Company has located a new unit which will be air-freighted to the Isle of Man as soon as possible. Once received, the expected repair time is approximately 36 hours, providing the manufacturer is able to provide support and technicians. The Company is urgently seeking those assurances.
Because of the anticipated repair time, tonight’s Dublin return sailing has been cancelled, along with all further Ben-my-Chree sailings until the repair has been effected.
Given the time involved in getting a new unit to the Isle of Man, coupled with the time of year and the repair time once the Company has the unit, it is now expected Ben-my-Chree will be out of service until Wednesday 31st December.
MV Arrow is already on her way to Douglas and will then take up a daily 17.30 Douglas to Heysham and 01.30 Heysham to Douglas freight service until the Ben has been repaired. This should ensure that all freight traffic will flow as normal.
Manannan will arrive back in Douglas tomorrow afternoon (Sunday 28th December). She will then operate an 18.30 sailing to Heysham, returning at 21.30 from Heysham. Crossing time will be 2hrs 15 minutes.
The revised twice-daily timetable for Manannan for Monday 29th December and Tuesday 30th December will be two Douglas to Heysham sailings departing at 13.00 and 19.00. Departures from Heysham will be at 16.00 and 22.00. Crossing time will also be 2hrs 15 minutes.
Mark Woodward, Steam Packet Company Chief Executive, said: ‘On behalf of the Steam Packet Company I sincerely apologise to all our passengers and customers at this busy time of the year. I assure you that we have been making, and will continue to make, every effort to restore normal services as soon as we possibly can.’

Thanks to those providing useful info. Anyone know if the iomspc is still taking calls, or if they've gone home for the night? Phoning 661661 just gets an off- the-hook sort of noise. I appreciate demand will be high, but it would be good to know if I'm just wasting my time trying to call them.

Thanks to those providing useful info. Anyone know if the iomspc is still taking calls, or if they've gone home for the night? Phoning 661661 just gets an off- the-hook sort of noise. I appreciate demand will be high, but it would be good to know if I'm just wasting my time trying to call them.

Hi Yibble

Just tried for you from my IOM landline and it is ringing engaged

ETA

Checked website and it states the following,

661661 (IOM), 08722 992 992* (UK) or 0044 8722 992 992* (ROI & Outside UK).

Monday to Friday 0830-1830

Saturday and Sunday 0900-1800

so probably closed, but you would have thought under the circumstances they would be open longer.

If you are stuck in the UK and would like, I can try intermittently for you?

I'm currently in the UK, and was due back tomorrow from Birkenhead. We heard, by chance, that our sailing was cancelled - still nothing official from the steam packet. I'm on call Monday, so first thing today when I heard the boat was off booked myself a flight from Liverpool, so weather permitting I'll be back and ready for 'duty' by 9am. Family will hopefully make it back soon enough afterwards.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse, but worse things happen. One thing the SP could do though is just set up a recorded message on the phone line, if nothing else to avoid paying 10p/min on hold to be told they don't know anything yet.

Archived