Former minister rejoins department

Wann

Former Minister rejoins Department - from Manx Radio

Well, good ol' Shimbo returns. I don't think it makes much difference if he is in a department, a Minister or whatever, but I must say I haven't missed his condescending and patronising tones floating on Manx Radio airwaves all the time.

Better than hearing Mr Robertshaw's serpentine silkiness though.

I think our Chief Minister likes to work in a threesome and it seems Chris joined the triumvirate once John Shimmin fell on his toy sword. Will we see a power struggle now or will the inner circle of our Government become even more powerful and dictatorial now that John returns to the fold?

Who cares?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, good ol' Shimbo returns. I don't think it makes much difference if he is in a department, a Minister or whatever, but I must say I haven't missed his condescending and patronising tones floating on Manx Radio airwaves all the time.

I think our Chief Minister likes to work in a threesome and it seems Chris joined the triumvirate once John Shimmin fell on his toy sword. Will we see a power struggle now or will the inner circle of our Government become even more powerful and dictatorial now that John returns to the fold?

Who cares?

On the one hand yes, good old Shimbo, as you dub him, was/can be condescending and there is certainly a large ego with a big appetite there. That said, he is more intelligent, more articulate, and (seemingly) harder working than the vast majority of his Tynwald peers. So, bearing in mind that, like it or not, he's on the scene until at least 2016, I'd rather see a Department role found for him than a deceitful freeloading twat like Houghton, a lizard like Singer or an intellect-free zone like Cannell.

Interesting that he's back at DED where his replacement Skelly is, in my opinion, about as convincing as a Houghton explanation.

Who cares?

Duplicate post removed.

There'll be a mini shuffle when Cretters moves up to sit on the ledge in February. So Shimmin in being reinstated in good time for that.

A very interesting theory but Cretney of course is no longer a Minister (if you are suggesting that Shimmin is being rehabilitated with a view to a return to COMIN in short order). If you're right, it does thus raise the intriguing prospect of an existing Minister preparing for LEGCO (because the smoky back room deals will be well underway) and Shimmin being primed to replace them. So, which Minister?

Teare is thinking about CoMin to 'spend more time with his family' as it were.
I see Shimmin "immediately seconded" to the cabinet office, interesting shuffling of the deckchairs. Does this mean he can't vote against both DED and Cabinet office?

The secondment to the Cabinet Office is very, very interesting. It's essentially an extension of the Chief Minister's province. I wonder how Robertshaw, as "Cabinet Office Minister" feels about a political heavyweight like Shimmin gatecrashing his party. Are we seeing the establishment positioning Shimmin to run for Chief Minister (he's done it before remember) in 2016?

I contacted Mr Shimmin in relation to a problem , I was not impressed , if asked I'd decline to give him a reference.

Me too. At least you got a reply after you contacted him.

I'm not impressed by the guy and he seems to be just a fall guy mouthpiece for his civil servants. I wonder has he learnt a lesson yet?

Or is he just another fool on the hill.

Archived