Local News

Ringwraith

Meanwhile,Henderson,Houghton and Watterson seem to think that horse mounted special constables are the answer to our policing problems.

Considering the expense of initially purchasing horses and saddlery,plus the costs of dedicated equine stabling facilities and staff to run them,veterinary costs,insurance,personnel training costs,farrier costs and a myriad of other associated expenses just confirms that certain MHK's are half witted crackpots completely devoid of common sense.

If they want the police mounted,buy them a bloody pushbike each.

From Manx Radio News:

Mounted police not likely on Island in near future

Published online at 18/02/2015 13:55:00

It’s unlikely the Island will see police on horseback in the near future.

However, Home Affairs Minister Juan Watterson says he can see the merits of such an initiative.

North Douglas MHK Bill Henderson suggested it would be a good way to expand the invaluable service provided by the Island’s special constabulary.

Mr Watterson said given budgetary constraints, all options would be assessed and that the issue would be on the agenda at a workshop the Chief Constable is hosting tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss its future structure.

He added he had discussed the matter with Gary Roberts and research had been carried out into the use of mounted officers in the UK.

Police Horses cost an absolute fortune to stable and keep.

Plus vet bills

Ask any one owning their own horse what the outlay is.

A complete nonsence

Get the cops to operate the horse trams, two birds with one stone an all that.

As the old saying goes, a rock in the irish sea with 50 thousand alcoholics clinging to it, and the brewery are trying to get the booze in the petrol stations again !

Will we have to convert our cars, or just add a can of WYNN'S additives?

How much to fill the tank on an X5, I wonder ?

Meanwhile,Henderson,Houghton and Watterson seem to think that horse mounted special constables are the answer to our policing problems.

Considering the expense of initially purchasing horses and saddlery,plus the costs of dedicated equine stabling facilities and staff to run them,veterinary costs,insurance,personnel training costs,farrier costs and a myriad of other associated expenses just confirms that certain MHK's are half witted crackpots completely devoid of common sense.

If they want the police mounted,buy them a bloody pushbike each.

From Manx Radio News:

Mounted police not likely on Island in near future

Published online at 18/02/2015 13:55:00

It’s unlikely the Island will see police on horseback in the near future.

However, Home Affairs Minister Juan Watterson says he can see the merits of such an initiative.

North Douglas MHK Bill Henderson suggested it would be a good way to expand the invaluable service provided by the Island’s special constabulary.

Mr Watterson said given budgetary constraints, all options would be assessed and that the issue would be on the agenda at a workshop the Chief Constable is hosting tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss its future structure.

He added he had discussed the matter with Gary Roberts and research had been carried out into the use of mounted officers in the UK.

Police Horses cost an absolute fortune to stable and keep.

Plus vet bills

Ask any one owning their own horse what the outlay is.

A complete nonsence

I believe it's one Special Constable who wants to patrol somewhere up in the north of the island on horseback.

It would be their own horse at their own expense i presume.

Funny isn't it that most people who enjoy trekking around the countryside can manage to do so without the need for dressing up as a police officer,

but it is completely bonkers that a credible MHK would propose such a thing in Tynwald,and even crazier that he can get other clowns to support him.

It makes me think that a monorail and felt museum aren't such ideas of fantasy after all.

Quite a few police forces in the Uk use voluntary wardens (unpaid) on horses to report on damage, illegal off-reading and crime in the countryside. Sounds like a good idea to me.

This is absolutely correct.

They are unpaid, on their own horses and are not special constables. They just wear a specific tabard

They cover a set rural area and it seems to have been quite successful. Its like neighbourhood watch.

I don't see what the issue is if there are people that are willing to do it. They would be exercising their horse anyway so why not put it to some community use?

ETA link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-30528386

http://www.leicestershireneighbourhoodwatch.co.uk/da/60849/Mounted_Police_Community_Volunteers_in_Rutland.html

this is low crime iom! no doubt Wooley will be along to tell us how bad things are on the mainland (even though they ain't)

Entirely depends where you are of course. If I had to live over there, it would be either Northern Scotland - love the space, although I would spend the winter abroad, or the far South West of England, a la GD4. Nowhere else appeals even slightly, and yes, I travel widely there.

north yorkshire?

Prefer Northumberland to North Yorks actually, but not to the extent of the other two places which I think are exceptionally beautiful with a similar ambience to our own.

so you would want to move to the South West with high crime, high unemployment and it rains a lot? make sense why your on the rock....

this is low crime iom! no doubt Wooley will be along to tell us how bad things are on the mainland (even though they ain't)

Entirely depends where you are of course. If I had to live over there, it would be either Northern Scotland - love the space, although I would spend the winter abroad, or the far South West of England, a la GD4. Nowhere else appeals even slightly, and yes, I travel widely there.

north yorkshire?

Prefer Northumberland to North Yorks actually, but not to the extent of the other two places which I think are exceptionally beautiful with a similar ambience to our own.

so you would want to move to the South West with high crime, high unemployment and it rains a lot? make sense why your on the rock....

I didn't say I would want to. I said if I had to. The Island does not have high crime or high unemployment. It has the lowest of both just about anywhere in Europe. In the UK I would avoid high crime areas of course. You are the one always telling us that most of the UK is safer than here and many places are peaceful - that goes for the South West too. High unemployment is not a concern to me personally as I only work for fun nowadays. The rain I will concede. It rains a lot everywhere though. It's the British Isles after all. When I want dry and sunny I head farther south.

illegal off-reading......

Is that walking up rocky paths and plunging through muddy puddles whilst poring over "Fifty Shades of Grey"? As good literature goes I thought that was certainly off.

Archived