Looks like the burglars are back!

samster

Thanks for that NDP - I've just read the log on that job. Hope the young fella is OK, must have been quite scary for him. Just a pity he didn't ring us right away. Good descriptions though. Thanks.

As for being 'none the wiser' - there is an awful lot of stuff going on I promise you.

But they are still breaking into people`s houses, creating a very dangerous situation for all involved and what if they panicked when someone disturbs them and they`re trapped? what happens if it`s my elderly and unwell mother who encounters them? - that could kill her. Sooner or later someone`s going to go for them to protect their family from any threat and someone`s going to get killed.I`ve already decided that I`d rather get killed or go to jail than risk having my family hurt, I think alot of people are of the same opinion, so maybe it`s time to bring out the police guns and make sure this doesn`t continue next time you get them anywhere in range.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...maybe it`s time to bring out the police guns and make sure this doesn`t continue next time you get them anywhere in range.

...maybe you're a looney.

Like I said by breaking into peoples houses where their families are, the burglars are creating a very dangerous situation that could put any young or unwell member of that family at risk, look across if you want some examples and remember we don`t know who these people are or where they are from or whether they are armed, just because people haven`t been hurt yet(as far as we know) doesn`t mean things will stay that way if the situation escalates.

In fairness to the Manx police they are facing if not a unique problem one that is close to being so.

Theft and (it would seem) no attempt to sell the stolen goods on the Island - that in itself would point to it being conducted by either people form off Island or working in cahoots with people off Island who can dispose of the goods so no point from which to work back from.

No feedback from the Public 'putting the squeak in' to point towards people that are suspected of these crimes, again pointing towards off Island thief / thieves.

Having to deal with thefts after the event rather than while a theft is taking place.

The availability of forensic evidence let alone ready access to the sophisticated and expensive technology to analyse any possible forensic evidence there may be.

So have a go at the Manx police for the shortcomings that they do have, and they do but probably no more than any rural or suburban police force, but IMO in this case the public really DO need to take measures to minimise what thieves can get if they do break in and in addition invest in the means to protect what they do have.

IMO the balance of probability based on the pattern of similar thefts taking place in rural and suburban fairly well to do areas in the UK is that Eastern European immigrants will be either directly involved, or will have recruited a couple of local people to steal in return for a safe way to dispose of what they have stolen.

The fact that there was a break in the burglaries is in itself a thing that should be considered. This is a lot more than a 'Pully Scally' on a spree.

In fairness to the Manx police they are facing if not a unique problem one that is close to being so.

Theft and (it would seem) no attempt to sell the stolen goods on the Island - that in itself would point to it being conducted by either people form off Island or working in cahoots with people off Island who can dispose of the goods so no point from which to work back from.

No feedback from the Public 'putting the squeak in' to point towards people that are suspected of these crimes, again pointing towards off Island thief / thieves.

Having to deal with thefts after the event rather than while a theft is taking place.

The availability of forensic evidence let alone ready access to the sophisticated and expensive technology to analyse any possible forensic evidence there may be.

So have a go at the Manx police for the shortcomings that they do have, and they do but probably no more than any rural or suburban police force, but IMO in this case the public really DO need to take measures to minimise what thieves can get if they do break in and in addition invest in the means to protect what they do have.

IMO the balance of probability based on the pattern of similar thefts taking place in rural and suburban fairly well to do areas in the UK is that Eastern European immigrants will be either directly involved, or will have recruited a couple of local people to steal in return for a safe way to dispose of what they have stolen.

The fact that there was a break in the burglaries is in itself a thing that should be considered. This is a lot more than a 'Pully Scally' on a spree.

I`m sure it is difficult, but how long do we let it go on for 6 months a year? - or they could say it`s a state of emergency - size/scale of burglaries to local crime rate and go in with guns, which would really put more peope off from coming here to rob houses if it`s known that the police shoot you for it. Or being that this is the IOM and we have a little say in the laws have the gov change the law so you can defend your property/family from intruders even if the intruder gets killed, always side with the homeowner. I do agree it`s more than just locals with this, they would have been caught by now if that were the case.

I`m sure it is difficult, but how long do we let it go on for 6 months a year? - or they could say it`s a state of emergency - size/scale of burglaries to local crime rate and go in with guns, which would really put more peope off from coming here to rob houses if it`s known that the police shoot you for it. Or being that this is the IOM and we have a little say in the the laws have the gov change the law so you can defend your property/family from intruders even if the intruder gets killed, always side with the homeowner. I do agree it`s more than just locals with this, they would have been caught by now if that were the case.

Really, don't you think that is a little harsh?

Plus from what I've heard the best place to stand when one of our own are shooting at you is in front of them... (only joking Derek)

...maybe it`s time to bring out the police guns and make sure this doesn`t continue next time you get them anywhere in range.

Like I said by breaking into peoples houses where their families are, the burglars are creating a very dangerous situation that could put any young or unwell member of that family at risk, look across if you want some examples and remember we don`t know who these people are or where they are from or whether they are armed, just because people haven`t been hurt yet(as far as we know) doesn`t mean things will stay that way if the situation escalates.
Maybe you should consider setting up a vigilante group....no shortage of volunteers on Facebook I'm sure.

You could maybe call it Public Armed Numbskulls Investigating Criminals (PANIC).

Maybe you should consider setting up a vigilante group....no shortage of volunteers on Facebook I'm sure.

You could maybe call it Public Armed Numbskulls Investigating Criminals (PANIC).

Ok, so what is your solution then? - it`s still not resolved, how long do you let it drag on for? - a year? - a couple of hundred properties? - like I said sooner or later someone is going to get killed, it may aswell be the burglars.

I`m sure it is difficult, but how long do we let it go on for 6 months a year? - or they could say it`s a state of emergency - size/scale of burglaries to local crime rate and go in with guns, which would really put more peope off from coming here to rob houses if it`s known that the police shoot you for it. Or being that this is the IOM and we have a little say in the the laws have the gov change the law so you can defend your property/family from intruders even if the intruder gets killed, always side with the homeowner. I do agree it`s more than just locals with this, they would have been caught by now if that were the case.

Really, don't you think that is a little harsh?

Plus from what I've heard the best place to stand when one of our own are shooting at you is in front of them... (only joking Derek)

No.

@ Lagman :-

One of the first requirements of shooting at someone is to have someone to shoot at. If the police knew where the next break in was going to take place then the matter would be resolved in short order.

IMO resolving this matter is going to take time but the failure of people to take care of their valuables is certainly a major factor. How many houses on the Island have even a rudimentary burglar alarm? Or CCTV and a time lapse recorder? Or for that matter decent security locks on doors and windows?

It's a long standing joke about the announcement on inbound flights advising passengers to reset their watches by 20 years but behind that joke is an element of truth.

Immigration into the UK has seen long thousands of Eastern European criminals and the crime statistics in the UK have soared as a result. To such people the fact that the Island is not a part of the UK is a non issue. To them the Island is simply a very soft touch with lots of high value goods there for the taking because of lax security and a laissez faire attitude by the locals. Faced with this the Manx police, themselves probably inadequately equipped or trained to deal this change in crime, must be having an awful job.

Instead of having a moan about them why not help them by taking more care of your own things?

The ONLY suggestion that I would offer is that maybe a campaign could be conducted by Crime Prevention staff to advise people on what they could do to better secure their homes - and that people then do what they are advised to do.

I'm all for the police having tactics to catch these shower of shits, however, now we have absolutely no idea what is going on or where and its getting quite concerning.

Given that we know that there were an additional 6 burglaries at the start of this new spree - before the police info black out when there were yet more last weekend, exactly how many have there been now?

It must be well over 50 or did they in fact never stop and this tactic has been employed for weeks now!

I don't see how revealing the current number of burglaries and attempted burglaries and the areas these took place (rather than street names) will affect Police operations, not knowing and therefore thinking that nothing is happening just makes people slack with security again

@ Lagman :-

One of the first requirements of shooting at someone is to have someone to shoot at. If the police knew where the next break in was going to take place then the matter would be resolved in short order.

IMO resolving this matter is going to take time but the failure of people to take care of their valuables is certainly a major factor. How many houses on the Island have even a rudimentary burglar alarm? Or CCTV and a time lapse recorder? Or for that matter decent security locks on doors and windows?

It's a long standing joke about the announcement on inbound flights advising passengers to reset their watches by 20 years but behind that joke is an element of truth.

Immigration into the UK has seen long thousands of Eastern European criminals and the crime statistics in the UK have soared as a result. To such people the fact that the Island is not a part of the UK is a non issue. To them the Island is simply a very soft touch with lots of high value goods there for the taking because of lax security and a laissez faire attitude by the locals. Faced with this the Manx police, themselves probably inadequately equipped or trained to deal this change in crime, must be having an awful job.

Instead of having a moan about them why not help them by taking more care of your own things?

The ONLY suggestion that I would offer is that maybe a campaign could be conducted by Crime Prevention staff to advise people on what they could do to better secure their homes - and that people then do what they are advised to do.

They nearly caught them atleast 3 times or more whist trying to arrest them, easier to do armed.if they try to run for it.

They could possibly be eastern european or a uk or irish group/gang with some local help, the only scenario I`m truly convinced of is that it isn`t locals alone, I just don`t think they are that competent.

I`m not moaning, I think changing our laws would be a far better deterent than being seen as a soft touch, it wouldn`t make much sense to come here to rob and risk getting shot.

I'm all for the police having tactics to catch these shower of shits, however, now we have absolutely no idea what is going on or where and its getting quite concerning.

Given that we know that there were an additional 6 burglaries at the start of this new spree - before the police info black out when there were yet more last weekend, exactly how many have there been now?

It must be well over 50 or did they in fact never stop and this tactic has been employed for weeks now!

I don't see how revealing the current number of burglaries and attempted burglaries and the areas these took place (rather than street names) will affect Police operations, not knowing and therefore thinking that nothing is happening just makes people slack with security again

60? 70? who knows?

Archived