New Boss at the prison

english zloty

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The TT is a unique world class, world renowned event. The policing thereof is unique too and I understand that other forces take a look to see how the Isle of Man Constabulary go about it.

The policing ranges from a real life clown copper down at Bushy's tent to serious and continued incidents on the mountain.

The documentary has a place in general interest and has a natural spillover into entertainment - that is after all what much of the TT is about.

There is little comparison with  this Jurby prison bollocks to the policing of the TT. But clearly some people think there is. 

How would I know how many of the prisoners reoffend perhaps we will find out. And to answer your question Sultan I have never been inside Jurby prison, know no one who has worked or is working there and fully intend not to go their anytime soon.   Just because people do not agree with your point of view does not mean they have a vested interest.   This prison has been run on these lines for years, just because a television programme has shown this all hell has broken loose, before no one gave a flying f..k.    I have relatives away who have messaged me saying what a breath of fresh air this is the prison near them is disgusting and people come out having been coached and go from bad to worse.    The punishment is loss of freedom how these prisoners are treated makes all the difference to the outcome and their future behaviour.   Anyway showing compassion and respect can work wonders, not with everyone that is true and there are always people who have no intention of trying to go straight, of course there is, but if a few can be helped it is worthwhile.   Anyway this is my last comment on this subject but people are not born bad and a helping hand costs nothing.   If this prison was run on really hard lines and prisoners were treated like shit which is what most of you want it would not cost a penny less.

50 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Anyway showing compassion and respect can work wonders, not with everyone that is true and there are always people who have no intention of trying to go straight, of course there is, but if a few can be helped it is worthwhile.   Anyway this is my last comment on this subject but people are not born bad and a helping hand costs nothing.   If this prison was run on really hard lines and prisoners were treated like shit which is what most of you want it would not cost a penny less.

Virtually ALL of those shown in this series so far are repeat offenders. I don't buy the rehabilitation argument one bit. I don't know why you’re getting so bent out of shape about this if you have no vested interest. 

What we have learned from this episode 

a) Whippy is a total bellend who needs to grow up 

b) Some thick girl got 6 years for taking the rap for someone else as she’s clearly not clever enough to be a drug dealer 

Only in the IOM with the crazy way it prosecutes drug cases which only seems to jail the people at the bottom of the food chain for drug offences can this sort of thing happen. 

12 hours ago, gettafa said:

I disagree Roger.

See the head banner in the newspaper clip on the other thread:

Television: Home Affairs Minister wants Britain to see how 'forward-thinking' the Jurby jail is.

The question remains, loud and clear: WHY?

Oh dear, do you not geddit? we have a failed media industry rebranding as isle of media on very good wages telling all and sundry that they can film any ol'shit here as long as they drop a few drone clips in.

Why do repeat offenders, repeat offending?

Is it who they associate with, are their friends or family in prison, nothing to lose, no job, no accommodation, no food or clothing, can't stop taking drugs/alcohol, an easier life of routine, frustrated, sick of others for one reason or another?

Would a harsher experience make any difference or just make them angry when they eventually got out?

If using friendly staff and less incidents happen, then works for me

6 hours ago, manxy said:

Why do repeat offenders, repeat offending?

Is it who they associate with, are their friends or family in prison, nothing to lose, no job, no accommodation, no food or clothing, can't stop taking drugs/alcohol, an easier life of routine, frustrated, sick of others for one reason or another?

Would a harsher experience make any difference or just make them angry when they eventually got out?

If using friendly staff and less incidents happen, then works for me

Why? Pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, sloth, and wrath. Or variations/combinations thereof.

Or poor upbringing, lack of education, lack of parenting and role models to provide good moral character, choice of friends, addictions, abuse?

or some are just bad/evil, and enjoy being bastards.

take your pick- I know there are several/hundreds of other possible reasons.

as for ‘less incidents occurring’, do you mean violence within the prison? The fella who was retiring last night stated at one point that he had “fought with most of them”. Don’t confuse the jovial scenes portrayed purposefully for a entertainment tv programme as being the only/typical thing that occurs inside the walls.

2 hours ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

Is that what “hubs” thinks idiot. 

What sort of reply is that? Whats wrong with you? Why the aggression? 

Sort of makes Manx people very crab like with that comment. Shameful reply!

6 hours ago, manxst said:

Why? Pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, sloth, and wrath. Or variations/combinations thereof.

Or poor upbringing, lack of education, lack of parenting and role models to provide good moral character, choice of friends, addictions, abuse?

or some are just bad/evil, and enjoy being bastards.

take your pick- I know there are several/hundreds of other possible reasons.

as for ‘less incidents occurring’, do you mean violence within the prison? The fella who was retiring last night stated at one point that he had “fought with most of them”. Don’t confuse the jovial scenes portrayed purposefully for a entertainment tv programme as being the only/typical thing that occurs inside the walls.

Good comment and you're right to put forward that these are only the clips they want you to see and there must be some bad things happening as well :thumbsup:

On Manx Radio this morning, regarding the TV series the presenter asked: 

"Do you think it's reflecting the seriousness of your message in this programme or is it being presented as a joke" 

Bob just goes on to say how he doesn't see prison as a joke and rambles on with his message. He does not answer the question asked regarding how the TV programme is poresented.

He's a politician's politician indeed.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-prison-governor-criticised-for-itv-documentary/

21 hours ago, hissingsid said:

How would I know how many of the prisoners reoffend perhaps we will find out. And to answer your question Sultan I have never been inside Jurby prison, know no one who has worked or is working there and fully intend not to go their anytime soon.   Just because people do not agree with your point of view does not mean they have a vested interest.   This prison has been run on these lines for years, just because a television programme has shown this all hell has broken loose, before no one gave a flying f..k.    I have relatives away who have messaged me saying what a breath of fresh air this is the prison near them is disgusting and people come out having been coached and go from bad to worse.    The punishment is loss of freedom how these prisoners are treated makes all the difference to the outcome and their future behaviour.   Anyway showing compassion and respect can work wonders, not with everyone that is true and there are always people who have no intention of trying to go straight, of course there is, but if a few can be helped it is worthwhile.   Anyway this is my last comment on this subject but people are not born bad and a helping hand costs nothing.   If this prison was run on really hard lines and prisoners were treated like shit which is what most of you want it would not cost a penny less.

I thought you said the program was brilliant because it shows pretty views of the Isle of Man? 

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

On Manx Radio this morning, regarding the TV series the presenter asked: 

"Do you think it's reflecting the seriousness of your message in this programme or is it being presented as a joke" 

Bob just goes on to say how he doesn't see prison as a joke and rambles on with his message. He does not answer the question asked regarding how the TV programme is poresented.

He's a politician's politician indeed.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-prison-governor-criticised-for-itv-documentary/

Me thinks this Governor has come to believe this will be his 15minutes. And expects to be on the forthcoming Strictly. 

Archived