New Boss at the prison

english zloty

Because, as you have done, it becomes easy to make it the issue. And it is too easy to deny anyway, although of course money and inducements come in various forms. From the tangible but innocuous such as free buffets to TV appearances and the less tangible but works every time ego trip (we'll take the money you get to be Emperor of the Isle of Man for 15 minutes, a legend in your very own lunchtime)

Who is the deputy Home Affairs Minister in Bill's absence? (He's still been around, it's not as if he has been disappeared for six months, although I wish him well)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Because, as you have done, it becomes easy to make it the issue. And it is too easy to deny anyway, although of course money and inducements come in various forms. From the tangible but innocuous such as free buffets to TV appearances and the less tangible but works every time ego trip (we'll take the money you get to be Emperor of the Isle of Man for 15 minutes, a legend in your very own lunchtime)

Who is the deputy Home Affairs Minister in Bill's absence? (He's still been around, it's not as if he has been disappeared for six months, although I wish him well)

Ok accept that. But to many the money is also a big part of the issue. I’d like to know what they got bunged to allow that pile of reality TV dog crap to be filmed amongst other things as whatever it was is unlikely to compensate for the negative perception of the IOM the series has created. But no doubt it’s another “saving” they can chalk up for Treasury. 

I'm more concerned about the assertion that it is actually the "Best" Little Prison in Britain. On what basis? And against what benchmark and population the size of Mann?

Until as such time I see/hear the statistics proving that it is the Best then I will continue to have grave doubts as to the real reason/rationale for producing such crap.

38 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I disagree Roger.

See the head banner in the newspaper clip on the other thread:

Television: Home Affairs Minister wants Britain to see how 'forward-thinking' the Jurby jail is.

The question remains, loud and clear: WHY?

Well he's not going to say that the whole thing is a disaster is he?  Reception seems to be mixed on here as elsewhere, despite the usual best efforts to go round stirring up indignation.  And no decision by made by the civil servants can be admitted to be wrong and the Minister's role is supposed to be limited to saying how wonderful and wise they all are.  Look what happened to Beecroft when she tried otherwise.

I'd be very surprised if there was any money involved, though as has been said, other inducements can be as powerful.

I do not think it is dog crap I think it is the way forward, the prisoners you were filmed in the first programme were not the average prisoner.    Of course if you believe in birching kids from nicking sweets and are squeaky clean yourself you will not agree but the fact of the matter is loss of freedom is the punishment.   All the sweets, gym sessions etc were worked for.   It seems to me half of the hang them brigade did not even watch the programme.   I am looking forward to tonight's episode and I suggest if you think it is dreadful television you can paint your toenails.

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I do not think it is dog crap I think it is the way forward, the prisoners you were filmed in the first programme were not the average prisoner.    Of course if you believe in birching kids from nicking sweets and are squeaky clean yourself you will not agree but the fact of the matter is loss of freedom is the punishment.   All the sweets, gym sessions etc were worked for.   It seems to me half of the hang them brigade did not even watch the programme.   I am looking forward to tonight's episode and I suggest if you think it is dreadful television you can paint your toenails.

Are you one of the wardens enjoying their 15 seconds of fame or closely related to one? Otherwise it’s hard to see why you don’t think it’s total dog mess which taints the IOM. Or perhaps you look back on your time inside with a keen sense of nostalgia. 

10 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

You didn't answer the earlier question, Sid. Where's the statistics that prove it is the Best in Britain and what criteria was used to benchmark it's success or otherwise? 

Sid, wtf good does this show do? Is it needed? What is it proving? Who is it helping? And if - big if at - the Isle of Man prison is so wonderful, why is the Isle of Man Home Affairs Department doing a big willy wag about it on nation TV?

Just Why?

Is the Ministry of Justice going to send hordes of Whitehall suits and prison governors over to the Isle of Man to piss up Bob and Malarkeys backs and get some tips on where they have been going wrong all these years?

35 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Where's the statistics that prove it is the Best in Britain and what criteria was used to benchmark it's success or otherwise? 

Good point although it may come out in one of the future episodes in their rehabilitation scheme?

2 hours ago, manxy said:

Good point although it may come out in one of the future episodes in their rehabilitation scheme?

Just been looking ahead in the RT to next week's episode. It features Craig who's on his seventh sentence at Jurby. He's in for knife crime. Some rehabilitation... 

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Here’s a free MHK question to anyone who wants it:

”Can the Minister of Home Affairs confirm whether his department received any form of payment or other benefit from ITV for the filming of the Best Little Jail in Britain series. And if so how much, and where has the money been allocated to?”

I find it hard to believe ITV gets filming rights that it then sells advertising around for free. 

I can guarantee that there will have been no money paid for access to the prison. The budgets on these productions is very tight. Basically, someone comes up with an idea, the production company pitches it to the network, and then they say yes, or no, and here is your budget. By the time travel, food, accommodation, hiring camera operators, sound engineers, voiceovers (I think it is Stephen Fry doing this one - he won't be cheap), there is very little actual profit in it. 

It would be like paying the RAF for access to a base to make a film about fighter pilots (which is coming soon as it happens!)

4 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I can guarantee that there will have been no money paid for access to the prison. The budgets on these productions is very tight. Basically, someone comes up with an idea, the production company pitches it to the network, and then they say yes, or no, and here is your budget. By the time travel, food, accommodation, hiring camera operators, sound engineers, voiceovers (I think it is Stephen Fry doing this one - he won't be cheap), there is very little actual profit in it. 

It would be like paying the RAF for access to a base to make a film about fighter pilots (which is coming soon as it happens!)

Then I cannot understand why anyone would want to make a total twat out of themselves and the country they live in for absolutely no financial benefit or recompense whatsoever. It can’t just be misplaced vanity surely? 

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Then I cannot understand why anyone would want to make a total twat out of themselves and the country they live in for absolutely no financial benefit or recompense whatsoever. It can’t just be misplaced vanity surely? 

I'd hope not. There is a wider perspective to be taken. The police, fire and rescue service, ambulance and paramedic service, coastguard, prison service, customs, border force, army, air force, navy- the list goes on, are all public services. They are all accountable to the public, and there will be a public interest element in there too, on both the level of there being a public interest in seeing how these are operated, but also in respect that the public are interested. They devour hours of stuff like 24 Hrs in A&E and Police, Camera, Action! More widely, these programmes can often help with recruitment by giving an insight into what is involved. 

We thought very hard before we took on Raw Cut for TT Blues. We had several approaches before that, but the Chief - canny bugger that he is, was always very nervous about how things might be portrayed. And lets not forget - I had a few lessons on that personally many years ago! But Raw Cut were introduced by an ex police officer, author and adviser to these sorts of shows. We spent a good bit of time with them before deciding to go with it, and of course, it was going to be centred on an intense 2 week period of activity so would create minimal disruption. 

And it did the job. A behind the scenes look at how the job does what it does for those two weeks. Of interest to visitors, bikers, fans of cop shows, and everyone who was on its mum. As I've said previously, the only sad thing was the short time to broadcast left a lot of the best stories on the cutting room floor. 

I didn't watch much of episode one as I was otherwise engaged. Did anyone really make that big of an arse of themselves?

No, as I recall Derek, it was a decent fly on the wall documentary and no one made an arse of themselves. It certainly could've been longer but what they used was good and showed another side to the T.T.

The Best Little Jug In Britain on the other hand is a reality T.V. style entertainment - not a documentary. There's a crucial difference. 

30 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No, as I recall Derek, it was a decent fly on the wall documentary and no one made an arse of themselves. It certainly could've been longer but what they used was good and showed another side to the T.T.

The Best Little Jug In Britain on the other hand is a reality T.V. style entertainment - not a documentary. There's a crucial difference. 

in that case, they might have been sold a bit of a production pup!

Shame - some good people up there, and it is an incredible facility

Archived