New Boss at the prison

english zloty

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=75691

but wait, he's already retired

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/walton-mp-steve-rotheram-demands-8304960

“I would like to thank Bob McColm for the work he has done for G4S at HMP Altcourse. Bob will now lead a project looking at how G4S prisons work with community rehabilitation providers and the national probation service before he retires later in 2015.”

here we go again?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sort of thing has happened in the Isle of Man civil service for decades. There have been some mighty posts given to people who have reached their natural end, or peak of career in UK.

Isle of Man - Where You Can.

"Have your already generous pension given a mega-top up, care of the Manx Taxpayer".....?

I was under the impression that there were already no less than four governor grades employed at the prison (Strange ways has one or two, AFAIK)

"Have your already generous pension given a mega-top up, care of the Manx Taxpayer".....?

I was under the impression that there were already no less than four governor grades employed at the prison (Strange ways has one or two, AFAIK)

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/home-affairs/isle-of-man-prison-and-probation-service/senior-management-team/

Maybe he is here to start the process of G4S taking over and privatising the prison, that has to be the next area where the government could cut a lot of costs ?

The fire services has had cuts, polices also but nothing from the prison ?

Fair play to him, it must be a nice little earner double pay thumbsup.gif

This is crazy giving a man who has retired the position of Governor of the Prison, he is not going to be full of enthusaism and drive, more like give me an easy number for a few more years just to really put the gold icing on the top. I would say his current grade will be very high, so we wont be getting him on the cheap.

Whatever happened to succession training, or does apply when your face fits.

I can say without any reservation there are already at least two Deputy Governors employed at Jurby who could with the experience they had gained ran the place with one hand tie tied behind their backs.

They were dead straight, they ran it without favour to anyone, and by the book, plus common sense, they took no crap, but they were always fair, and if a prisoner was having a bad time, they would sort it and help the lad, with nothing said.

I wonder how much the IOM Govt will be paying him in relocation costs, it will be between 10 to 15k depending on grade.

Maybe he is here to start the process of G4S taking over and privatising the prison, that has to be the next area where the government could cut a lot of costs ?

The fire services has had cuts, polices also but nothing from the prison ?

Fair play to him, it must be a nice little earner double pay :thumbsup:

A Prison Officer acquaintance of mine has told me that a review into officer's terms and conditions is ongoing in conjunction with their union reps.

This is crazy giving a man who has retired the position of Governor of the Prison, he is not going to be full of enthusaism and drive, more like give me an easy number for a few more years just to really put the gold icing on the top. I would say his current grade will be very high, so we wont be getting him on the cheap.

I can say without any reservation there are already at least two Deputy Governors employed at Jurby who could with the experience they had gained ran the place with one hand tie tied behind their backs.

They were dead straight, they ran it without favour to anyone, and by the book, plus common sense, they took no crap, but they were always fair, and if a prisoner was having a bad time, they would sort it and help the lad, with nothing said.

I wonder how much the IOM Govt will be paying him in relocation costs, it will be between 10 to 15k depending on grade.

If that is true about the deputies, then why not make them Co-Governors on a bit of a salary uplift and save most of the retiring Governor's salary? They could arrange it so that one of them is always there and the prison would not be without its chief during holidays etc.

I bet this new arrangement will be costly with the new man and the retiring person's pension kicking in too. It's happening all over government.

We see this happening all the time.

How can the loonies who make these decisions keep getting away with it - is no-one actually in control of the CS ( rhetorical question ).

Here's a radical thought - maybe we are criticising the wrong people when we have a go at the politicians. Maybe , just maybe it's the Civil Service who need to be stopped/censured/held accountable/punished .... but who could do it ? Hey I know, why not appoint a Civil Service committee to look into it .... oh , no just a minute ...

And there was a deputy governor retired and given a nice cushy number in the motorsport. As of right I am sure, but the system is wrong, it is geared for the benefit of the civil servants and government employees and not to society in terms of money and the service delivered.

The people of the Isle of Man are being shafted and the fat cats are laughing all the way to their paypackets and pensions.

Archived