New Boss at the prison

english zloty

1 hour ago, jabba1990 said:

Not at all mate, I have a friend at Wandsworth breaking his ball$ everyday, fighting, getting assaulted for half the money some of those jokers are on. 

Tell him to apply for the manx job then. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it should be Wandsworth and the other hell hole prisons in the U.K. that are getting the flack not ours.   Why do you think people are walking away without being imprisoned for quite serious crimes in the U.K. ?   It is because the judges are aware what dreadful places some of them are and know that there is a very strong possibility of young offenders coming out as hardened criminals.    Nothing is done about it and prisoners and warders live in fear.   There is a really high rate of warders being off with stress,. this is not fair and is helping no one rehabilitation is not on the cards.  I would back our way every time.

7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Yes it should be Wandsworth and the other hell hole prisons in the U.K. that are getting the flack not ours.   Why do you think people are walking away without being imprisoned for quite serious crimes in the U.K. ?   It is because the judges are aware what dreadful places some of them are and know that there is a very strong possibility of young offenders coming out as hardened criminals.    Nothing is done about it and prisoners and warders live in fear.   There is a really high rate of warders being off with stress,. this is not fair and is helping no one rehabilitation is not on the cards.  I would back our way every time.

So what are the re-offending/rehabilitation rates per crime & age group in IOM?

10 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Yes it should be Wandsworth and the other hell hole prisons in the U.K. that are getting the flack not ours.   Why do you think people are walking away without being imprisoned for quite serious crimes in the U.K. ?   It is because the judges are aware what dreadful places some of them are and know that there is a very strong possibility of young offenders coming out as hardened criminals.    

Goldsmith is a repeat offender. Who is back in the papers again today and happily wandering around Strand St. No doubt someone who will be back inside at some stage too. All this series has done for me so far is demonstrate how poor our rehabilitation rate actually seems to be. Virtually every one of those featured in the series has been in more than once so it does seem rather odd that the main political justification we seem to find for allowing this embarrassing series to take place in the first place I s the focus our ‘success’ at rehabilitation. 

The true cost over time to the taxpayer to keep non-productive units like Goldsmith runs into the millions. They pay very little tax or rates and rarely ever put anything into the pot. It's all take and no give. Free education, free health care, free benefits and allowances, subsidised housing etc. Add the cost of police, legal, court and custodial time; probation and social workers; the social cost of his 'activities' to victims and the community, etc. Then there's the exponential costs if they sire any offspring and you're soon into the millions.  

56 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Some prisoners will not want to be televised for obvious reasons and I would suspect that they are the ones who have been rehabilitated and hopefully got some quality of life back and are determined not to reoffend.  

Yes that's the point I made on the other thread.  It's interesting when you look at some of the wider shots in the first programme just how many faces are pixellated out - clearly most prisoners didn't want to be involved.  Given that there are only around 100 in at any one time, if say 80% are opting out, the programme makers didn't really have much choice as to what stories they told.  They were always going to be left with the 'usual suspects' who have little reputation left to lose and there's a good argument that the DHA should have realised that.  But maybe they wanted to show that their methods worked even with the old lags.

4 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

What I dont really understand is that the neanderthal seemed to get roughly the same sentence for assault each time. I would have thought it should go up each time?

I think it does, but there's presumably a maximum and once you get near that there's nowhere else the judge can go.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But maybe they wanted to show that their methods worked even with the old lags.

But so far we haven't been told how successful their methods are with any of them. And I doubt we will be told until someone either bangs in a FOI request or an MHK is prepared to stand up in Tynwald and ask the DHA Minister.

I think the next 5 installments will give a more rounded view of the workings of the prison. A person said to me they get free gym sessions but if you were paying attention they had to work for a session.   What they do will probably be shown soon, but is it not better for them to work and keep fit than just be locked up in a cell ?   I read somewhere that the U.K.were looking towards rehabilitation as opposed to just locking inmates up.   The prisons across are dire, really bad, I have heard when decent officers have retired early because they were so disheartened at the way both prisoners and warders were constantly watching their backs all the time because of the violence.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I think the next 5 installments will give a more rounded view of the workings of the prison. A person said to me they get free gym sessions but if you were paying attention they had to work for a session.   What they do will probably be shown soon, but is it not better for them to work and keep fit than just be locked up in a cell ?   I read somewhere that the U.K.were looking towards rehabilitation as opposed to just locking inmates up.   The prisons across are dire, really bad, I have heard when decent officers have retired early because they were so disheartened at the way both prisoners and warders were constantly watching their backs all the time because of the violence.

For someone who understands very little about crime, criminality and the Prison Service in the UK, you sure have a lot of opinions and judgements. As I said before, you are demonstrating your naivety.

When you watch UK Police programmes on TV and see offenders drive faster than the speed limits or burgle, sell drugs etc and then only getting a suspended sentence or community work, then that must be difficult for the Police to understand the leniency of the award. 

Is that one of the differences of us and the UK? Are they too soft regards punishments and offenders now believing that they'll get let off?

Archived