Football colours in schools - what to do?

thebees

I don't watch much TV especially not football/sport or X-factor stuff and neither do my children. Tomorrow my lad is supposed to wear his 'football colours' to school, last night I asked him "Which football team do you support?" and was happy to find he did not know any. What am I supposed to do? I do not want him to be excluded but at the same time I'm not about to rush off to Intersport and spend however much a football shirt is on a shirt that is, erm, well I don't really know. FWIW, football shirts make people look ridiculous, who are you? Ronaldo? Shut up! :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is odd isn't it, my child has been saying they need to go into town and buy a football shirt which I guess must be in the £40 region and would never be worn again.

On querying it with school my wife has been told that they should just wear a colour they like and treat it as a dress down day, but try telling that to a primary child when you quite recently bought a costume for so they could take full part in world book day, why you would not get the football shirt so they can take full part in this school event.

What an amazingly stupid thing for the school to do.

There is no end of conflict between football club supporters, this could easily result in yet another reason for some kids to bully and others to be their victims.

Can you borrow a shirt?

Whatever you do don't do what my mates Mum did - buy an Orange shirt and say you're nuetral.

Tangerine ......Blackpool's colours , supported them as a schoolboy , not having the greatest time of it these days , 1953 was the year to rememberbiggrin.png

There is no end of conflict between football club supporters, this could easily result in yet another reason for some kids to bully and others to be their victims.

I doubt there will be many Man City supporters!

ETA - this is in support of the Bobby Moore Cancer charity by way of context....well it is in my lad's school anyway.

We are collecting at work for this too in aid of the Cancer Research UK's Bobby Moore Fund. My children's school aren't participating (or at least I haven't heard that they are).

At work we not just limited to football shirts, which makes a lot of sense - just team colours, regardless of sport.

I agree that it doesn't appear to have been thought out particularly well by some schools from the sound of it.

Sign of the times that if it extended (and I'm glad it doesn't) to my children's school then the vast majority of the boys would be in Barca shirts!

Archived