Amy's in the race!

FACT

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Douglas South where that German guy is standing? Between him and Amy, I'd vote for him. Sorry, Amy, I'm sure you're a nice person, I have nothing against you, but the German dude has more business experience which is what the government is in dire need of right now.

It seems he's a bit wet behind the ears though when it comes to Island life and the value of a proper shipping company, as in SPCo

He was still ranting on the radio the other day about getting goods to the Island on the cheap.

I for one hope he gets no votes. Just why he thinks we need someone like him to tell us how to live is very much beyond me.

Fitton, Buckholz and Malarkey declared some time ago and received a pack which includes a copy of the electoral register to enable them to fill in the form and get 20 supporters.

Burns declares today and has already filled out the form with 20 names from the current register of electors, meaning she already had a copy from somewhere.

Electoral registers are not for distribution to anyone before declaration and to give one to someone else is a criminal offence.

Do you see where I'm going here?

Maybe she knows 20 people in South Douglas.

Is Douglas South where that German guy is standing? Between him and Amy, I'd vote for him. Sorry, Amy, I'm sure you're a nice person, I have nothing against you, but the German dude has more business experience which is what the government is in dire need of right now.

It seems he's a bit wet behind the ears though when it comes to Island life and the value of a proper shipping company, as in SPCo

He was still ranting on the radio the other day about getting goods to the Island on the cheap.

I for one hope he gets no votes. Just why he thinks we need someone like him to tell us how to live is very much beyond me.

Can you elaborate. You say a lot of negative things but you don't back them up.

At least it will be an alternative to the "old guard" rejects trying for a ticket on what will most likely be the last gravy train out of Trough Central.

Are you sure this isn't simply the case of a Cretney stool pigeon trying to get pushed into Keys on the back of a popularist campaign managed behind the scenes by the exact same "old guard" you despise? I'm not.

I think you might have a point, FACT has hinted at similar but seems to have no evidence to back up his claim in another thread regarding the signatures backing this candidate.

I see where you're coming from, it was suggested a few months back that Cretney's daughter might stand?

Maybe Ms Burns could be seen as a less nepotistic candidate but still be getting the backing of the South Douglas dynasty with all its connections and experience....?

At least it will be an alternative to the "old guard" rejects trying for a ticket on what will most likely be the last gravy train out of Trough Central.

Are you sure this isn't simply the case of a Cretney stool pigeon trying to get pushed into Keys on the back of a popularist campaign managed behind the scenes by the exact same "old guard" you despise? I'm not.

I think you might have a point, FACT has hinted at similar but seems to have no evidence to back up his claim in another thread regarding the signatures backing this candidate.

I see where you're coming from, it was suggested a few months back that Cretney's daughter might stand?

Maybe Ms Burns could be seen as a less nepotistic candidate but still be getting the backing of the South Douglas dynasty with all its connections and experience....?

Yep, a plausible theory.

Can you elaborate. You say a lot of negative things but you don't back them up.

I shouldn't need to back that up, but, he still seems to think that WE would be better served by some El Cheapo cargo set up to get our supplies to us, rather than have The Steam Packet, or similar , on a long term contract serving us.

He is here 5 mins and knows what The Isle of Man needs and how we should do things.

But would she be seen as as genuine, dyed-in-the-wool Pully/Anagh Coar voter-base candidate, given her family and background, as highlighted earlier on this or the other thread?

But would she be seen as as genuine, dyed-in-the-wool Pully/Anagh Coar voter-base candidate, given her family and background, as highlighted earlier on this or the other thread?

She would from her past Facebook etc. rants.

Well she'd be better than Malarkey.

Really ?

I'm glad there is a far better choice in North Douglas and feel very sorry for the many voters in South Douglas who thought they would get someone worth voting for.

Keith Fitton seems ok. Liberal Vannin, but I think it is time to move to party based candidates. This 'independent' ** thing just seems like - with few exceptions - a load of deadbeats in a dead end job looking to propel themselves into a nicely paid ego trip.

Edited to add:

Meaning existing MHKs too

I shouldn't need to back that up, but, he still seems to think that WE would be better served by some El Cheapo cargo set up to get our supplies to us, rather than have The Steam Packet, or similar , on a long term contract serving us.

He is here 5 mins and knows what The Isle of Man needs and how we should do things.

Personally, I'd favour a nationalisation option - the island's life line should be under public control, not under the control of a foreign bank.

Personally, I'd favour a nationalisation option - the island's life line should be under public control, not under the control of a foreign bank.

Yeah, I agree.

I can't remember why our Government sold all it's shares in the Steam Packet ( about 40%, I think) 30 or 40 years ago now, but I do remember a lot of people saying that it would end in tears.

Serious question. What relevant qualifications or experience does the woman have to become a member of The Keys?

She was the motivation behind the petition against the toilet tax. And some stuff about pre-school or whatever.

You could ask the same about, for example, former minister the MHK lad for Malew & Santon. I think the most relevant experience he's had was holding the ladder while his da' painted things. Then there's Quirky; worked for Douglas Corpy and amassed an aladdin's cave of plumbing fittings and did loads of calls to Mannin Line. Minister Crookall posted letters (I think). Brenda Cannell did people's hair and sang in a band. Peter Karran got a dolphin certificate for swimming 50 yards and nailed some bits of wood together building Summerland, Minister Shimmin did PE at school. Allan Bell sold jumpers. Robertshaw rose from blanket stacker in a hotel to chief blanket stacker in a bigger hotel. Cretters sold tat and fell asleep drunk in a pub. The list goes on.

Archived