Credit Cards

offshore

Have just been turned down for a new 0% balance transfer card after making an online application through the the bank itself.

Reason given was that I am not a permanent resident of the UK.

Said bank is a European player and has a high street presence in Douglas.

Mrs Offshore and I have our mortgage with them locally and took out additional lending through their UK arm.

Seems bonkers and their policies are not consistent.

Also booted out of any online applications through comparison websites.

Surely we can't have 50,000 economically active people and no credit cards.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Go into the branch and talk with the manager. FWIW I had issues setting up accounts with NatWest after 30 years working on the continent, having a IOM Bank account with sufficient funds helped a great deal and it was resolved within a few minutes after talking with the boss.

NatWest does seem to work in mysterious ways...

Have you thought about a debit card?

Some banks with a local presence here do issue cards, but sometimes you have to apply via the branch rather than online I've found in the past.

I have an M&S credit card myself. Not sure about any balance transfer deals as I only use it for the cashback.

Edit: just looked - 15 months interest free on balance transfers, although they add 2.9% to the balance transfer.

I have cards with MBNA, RBS, Mint, Barclaycard and AMEX. All fine on the island.

MBNA do good interest free periods. I am currently in the middle of a two year interest free period where they allowed me to transfer 20k into my current account.

That 20k is currently sat in a savings account earning interest while I pay MBNA no interest, and will be withdrawn and the account settles a week before the interest free period ends.

Stay away from all credit cards. Save up.

Credit cards can be a brilliant way to get more consumer protection, earn rewards, simplify you finances, or just get free money.

They can also be a brilliant way to ruin your life, live a lifestyle you can't afford, and pay shed loads of interest.

Just because some people use them in the second way, doesn't mean sensible and shrewd people should avoid credit cards.

MBNA do good interest free periods. I am currently in the middle of a two year interest free period where they allowed me to transfer 20k into my current account.

That 20k is currently sat in a savings account earning interest while I pay MBNA no interest, and will be withdrawn and the account settles a week before the interest free period ends.

Stay away from all credit cards. Save up.

Just because some people use them in the second way, doesn't mean sensible and shrewd people should avoid credit cards.

Take your point, but is the trifling interest you can get on £20k nowadays worth your time in setting it up? Would personal finances be in a much better shape had credit cards never been introduced 50 years ago? All that interest going to those nice bankers. Wow.

Archived