Heritage Way Closed to Dog Walkers

Katman

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saying, if you get rid of the gates and improve the surface what you have is an 8 mile long race-track for road cyclists which is rather narrow in parts. At the moment it's used by mountain bikers who don't go nearly as fast. It's just not a good mix.

Footpaths around where we live often have a scattering of small caltrops appear from time to time. Only small ones, those that I've seen are defiantly home made and don't penetrate a sturdy shoe, or even all the way through decent trainers, but play merry hell with push bike tyres.

Just saying, if you get rid of the gates and improve the surface what you have is an 8 mile long race-track for road cyclists which is rather narrow in parts. At the moment it's used by mountain bikers who don't go nearly as fast. It's just not a good mix.

Footpaths around where we live often have a scattering of small caltrops appear from time to time. Only small ones, those that I've seen are defiantly home made and don't penetrate a sturdy shoe, or even all the way through decent trainers, but play merry hell with push bike tyres.

That's Salford for you..

And it's not like a road.

It's made of road smile.png

Yes I was talking about the Peel road dump, but the muddy bits have improved further along iirc.

I was talking about the path all the way from St John's to Douglas, not just the areas close to Douglas.

Between Peel and St John's was actually quite good the last time I walked along it.

We will have to agree to disagree here.

In 30 years of having a horse I can honestly say I have only had one incident with a car driver.

In the same period I have lost count of the amount of times I have been sworn at or had a deliberate attempt to spook the horse by either individual or a group of cyclists, and that includes one of the clubs when they were very politely asked if they could move out to the horses line of sight rather than in his blind spot

@ Mr Sausages

I have seen it on more than one occasion on the railway line - it was a sand surface at the time from the St Johns end (don't know if it still is) and I'm not saying its putting horses in danger, quite the opposite. I wouldn't forgive myself if my horse kicked someone in the head, even if it was due to their own actions.

That is why I don't think its worth the hassle and stopped going down there

Where can you safely ride a horse JT? What with cyclists on footpaths & in plantations and trail bikers on green lanes is there anywhere you can relax and enjoy a peaceful ride?!

^^^ Not sure if you are really wanting an answer :) but not many places these days to be honest. The beach is still good though

Serious question Jess! Used to ride up Sky Hill and other places many moons ago - well before the proliferation of mountain bike clubs, trail bikers, Enduro events and heavy promotion of cycling by Tourism. There's 2 wheeled vehicles everywhere now and just wondered if horse riding was being crowded out!

^^^ Not sure if you are really wanting an answer smile.png but not many places these days to be honest. The beach is still good though

Serious question Jess! Used to ride up Sky Hill and other places many moons ago - well before the proliferation of mountain bike clubs, trail bikers, Enduro events and heavy promotion of cycling by Tourism. There's 2 wheeled vehicles everywhere now and just wondered if horse riding was being crowded out!

Its getting a bit that way - thought you might be a rabid cyclist looking to destroy my few remaining nice rides smile.png

Sky Hill, now there's a blast from the past, up there with Highton for favourite memories smile.png

Hold up, I have recently paid the best part of £2,500 for my new carbon ultra-light weight steed, so I could throw it over gates at my leisure, and to save my back and knees, and now you are telling me I could have bought a solid cast iron bike from Halfords for £75 and a key from the terminal for a fiver which would have sufficed.

Oh ermm.gif

Seriously, which gates are locked, because I cannot think of anywhere I could not open or ride around?

I cycled to St Johns and back last week with the love of my life and my wife, I had just serviced the love of my life and wanted to test the brakes.

The main problem was the wife wanting to ride side by side, but one half of the new track had very deep hoof prints and she made me swap sides, I should have taken the Full Sus to cope with those craters.

Maybe you should concentrate more on the real no galloping rule rather than the in your own mind key only rule.

Archived