Heritage Way Closed to Dog Walkers

Katman

Do cyclists have to pay for a key to access the locked areas or do you just chuck your bike over the top of the gate ?

Each gate's got it's own special way, some you can just go around the side, some over the top, some through the short swing gate at the side.

Or perhaps you could just pay for a key like everyone else does that isn't on foot

edit typo

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or perhaps you could just pay for a key like everyone else does that isn't on foot

I'm not sure anyone not on foot pays to use the heritage trail. Is there some secret toll booth I'm not aware of?

I'm not sure anyone not on foot pays to use the heritage trail. Is there some secret toll booth I'm not aware of?

To access the old railway line when you are not a pedestrian you have to pay for a key to unlock the padlocked gates.

That is the reason they are locked.

You go to the sea terminal, give them your personal details, pay your money and they give you a key so you can use it

I have no idea.

All I know is that I have seen them putting their bikes over the top of the locked gates when I have been on it

The last time I paid for a key it was £5 - you agree not to make copies so if you lose it you have to replace it, so it hardly breaks the bank for something that has to be maintained.

Same applies in parts of some plantations. Its a different key

To access the old railway line when you are not a pedestrian you have to pay for a key to unlock the padlocked gates.

That is the reason they are locked.

That's not correct. The gates are to prevent access to motorised vehicles, not to prevent all non-pedestrian access.

The right of way for cycles on that route is well established, with the dept of infrastructure going as far as drawing pictures of little bikes on the beginning of the path. Also:

http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/71168/walkers-and-cyclists-encouraged-to-use-new-heritage-trail

"Infrastructure Minister Phil Gawne MHK said: ‘This is a really positive project on so many different levels. It has seen the creative recycling of excavated road material to provide an amenity that everyone can enjoy. As we move towards Easter and the summer, hopefully the good weather will continue and I would encourage people to put it to the test and get out walking and cycling. It would certainly be a healthy way of commuting into Douglas.’"

"Health and Social Care Minister Howard Quayle MHK said: ‘The improvement to the track is something I have pushed for since being elected as MHK for Middle and I am delighted to see the project come to fruition. I think it will prove to be a wonderful facility for the local community. As Minister for Health, anything that encourages people to take regular exercise is a good thing. Walking and cycling are low-impact activities that can significantly improve individual fitness and general wellbeing and in turn reduce the demand on our health services.’"

There is also a well established route for horses, that's why it says no galloping. In fact quite a lot of it was done by the stud that used to be at St Johns.

If the gates were just there to stop motorised traffic there would be no option to buy a key for the main gates

If you need to use the large gates for access, you should be unlocking the padlock with a key you have paid for that is what you are told at the Sea Terminal.

I suppose I could attempt to lob 3/4 ton of horse over the gate, but I have no issue in paying for the key

Cyclists, well you lot are just special so nothing applies to you.

OK. Answer this simple question: if it wasn't intended for cyclists, why is it called a 'cycleway' with pictures of bikes painted on it?

And like I said, you don't need to use the gates for access, you can use the styles, it's just often quicker to lob your bike over. Is there a point to this, or is it just poorly informed anti cycling ranting?

I have not said it was not intended for cyclists, it is.

You will note it is also called a 'bridleway'. If the locked parts were just to keep out motorised traffic why is it called a "bridleway",?

I was just trying to ascertain if cyclists had now bothered to buy keys instead of clambering over the locked gates rather than unlocking them. You stated that some you had to 'go over the top'.

It would be just as quick to unlock the gate as to lob your bike over, but that would mean buying a key.

I am hardly poorly informed, I have a key.

It was you that said "I'm not sure anyone not on foot pays to use the heritage trail. Is there some secret toll booth I'm not aware of"

You have given me an answer to what I wanted to know, and further insight into the attitude of cyclists and why people dislike them so much, so thanks for that.

You will note it is also called a 'bridleway'. If the locked parts were just to keep out motorised traffic why is it called a "bridleway",?

I've never seen it called that, it's certainly not painted on the path, and I've not seen the doi minister mentioning it?

I was just trying to ascertain if cyclists had now bothered to buy keys instead of clambering over the locked gates rather than unlocking them. You stated that some you had to 'go over the top'.

No, I said you 'can' not that you 'had to'.

Look, the gates are there to stop motorised traffic. You're obviously horsie, so need a solution to get your horse which is permitted through the gate that prevents cars, which aren't permitted. So the solution is a key, which you must buy to presumably cover the admin costs. Cyclists don't need a key, because they don't need to open the gate.

It would be just as quick to unlock the gate as to lob your bike over, but that would mean buying a key.

Er, no, it wouldn't. Even gates that aren't locked, it's quicker just to pop the bike over and follow it than open the gate, push the bike through and close the gate again. It'd be even slower to be bothering with padlocks.

I am hardly poorly informed, I have a key.

You appear to be poorly informed about the purpose of the gate and key system, and seem to be directing your poorly informed ire against cyclists.

It was you that said "I'm not sure anyone not on foot pays to use the heritage trail. Is there some secret toll booth I'm not aware of"

You have given me an answer to what I wanted to know, and further insight into the attitude of cyclists and why people dislike them so much, so thanks for that.

Yes, poorly informed misunderstandings as you've fully demonstrated, cheers!

As an occasional cycler of that route, I had no idea you could buy keys to be honest. I've always just used the stiles anyway.

Surprised they are running this event on the same day as the Youth Games though, I would have thought they would want to maximise their fund raising efforts, not make people choose between the two.

I suppose I could attempt to lob 3/4 ton of horse over the gate, but I have no issue in paying for the key

I've been using that track for decades and no nothing of keys. Why would or should it apply to cyclists? Cyclists don't need a key to access it. What's your problem?

I've never seen it called that, it's certainly not painted on the path, and I've not seen the doi minister mentioning it?

Really?

You might want to look at the notice your mate Rob from the cycling association has done.

I've been using that track for decades and no nothing of keys. Why would or should it apply to cyclists? Cyclists don't need a key to access it. What's your problem?

The key system has been around for a good long while. I have had one for at least 15 years, probably longer. The same key fits all the way along

I stopped using it with the horse because of the cyclists and more than one incident at a gate.

Its not much fun when you are half off a horse at the gate to unlock it and a cyclist comes along and lobs a bike over it right at your horses feet then clambers over the gate you are about to open.

That's why I asked if they were still locked and how the cyclists were going over the locked gates.

Seems that still happens because its easier. My point is that if you are using the main gates they should be unlocked to use rather than lobbing your bike over and clambering over the gate after it.

Archived