Heritage Way Closed to Dog Walkers

Katman

Well, it's the first time I've ever heard mention of a key, and I'm down there nearly every day. I don't see what the problem is. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to lift my horse over a gate.

It's not a key you need it's a truss.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The railway line works fine at the moment as an off road cycle path / bridle way / footpath. The presence of gates at regular intervals and the poor surface in parts mean that it's not considered a suitable substitute for a velodrome. Removing these obstacles would no doubt make it dangerous for anyone but road cyclists. It's too narrow to accommodate high-speed cyclists as well as horses and dog walkers.

It's dreadful walking along the old railway path for days or even weeks after a rainfall - you get mud everywhere. Don't go there if you've got holes in your shoes.

Have you been since it's been filled? It's almost a road now, not muddy at all.

It's dreadful walking along the old railway path for days or even weeks after a rainfall - you get mud everywhere. Don't go there if you've got holes in your shoes.

Have you been since it's been filled? It's almost a road now, not muddy at all.

Filled when?

The railway line works fine at the moment as an off road cycle path / bridle way / footpath. The presence of gates at regular intervals and the poor surface in parts mean that it's not considered a suitable substitute for a velodrome. Removing these obstacles would no doubt make it dangerous for anyone but road cyclists. It's too narrow to accommodate high-speed cyclists as well as horses and dog walkers.

Rubbish, it is not like it takes a cyclist long to get back up to speed, and a lot of the gates are either side of a road or track where anybody with a brain would be slowing down to cross anyway.

The constant stop starting and getting on and off the bike does spoil the ride. Wider chicane type structures which people could ride though slowly at the side of the gates might work better?

Just saying, if you get rid of the gates and improve the surface what you have is an 8 mile long race-track for road cyclists which is rather narrow in parts. At the moment it's used by mountain bikers who don't go nearly as fast. It's just not a good mix.

Just saying, if you get rid of the gates and improve the surface what you have is an 8 mile long race-track for road cyclists which is rather narrow in parts. At the moment it's used by mountain bikers who don't go nearly as fast. It's just not a good mix.

Na, our roads are barely good enough for a road bike, the trail is too rough.

Archived