Woman who killed cyclist gets suspended sentence

manxb&b

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This http://www.safecyclingiom.com launched in wake of case. Hope it succeeds.

That may help when drivers are actually looking where they are going !

But I can't see how it will make any difference. How will it be policed and who is to measure the distance ?

We all just have to be considerate to each other, drivers and cyclists.

The chap who was driving the car that killed the lady on a motorbike at Hillberry a few years ago seemed to get off lightly.

We have mostly all nearly forgotten about that one, and it looks like the internets have been purged of all references, I can't find a link.

The chap who was driving the car that killed the lady on a motorbike at Hillberry a few years ago seemed to get off lightly.

We have mostly all nearly forgotten about that one, and it looks like the internets have been purged of all references, I can't find a link.

It happened 12 years ago, some things I better laid to rest for the families sake.

I can think of 3 motorcycle accidents in more recent years were the driver has got away with a suspended sentence and a ban.

I get the idea and understand the knee jerk reaction that spawned it, but 5 feet clearance is not feasible on many of the islands back roads, they just aren't wide enough, it effectively makes a cyclist wider than the average car. car drivers aren't going to follow a cyclist a few miles down a back road cos they can't legally get past but could pass and leave 4 feet of clearance no problem. and how/who is going to be getting a tape measure out at theses overtakes?? except in obvious close calls it will always be a he said she said with no actuals means of measurement. and if you can't overtake with less than 5 feet clearance can you come past travelling in the other direction closer than 5 feet?? it's a poorly thought out idea with the best of intent but only realistically practical on our wider roads where I don't think there is a problem anyway? especially if they made it a legal requirement for cyclists to travel single file at all times. I don't think single file would have had a bearing on the tragedy in KM though. another sledge hammer to crack a nut idea. impatient drivers is the root cause compounded by todays rush rush rush lifestyle.

That's a light sentence. But honestly, what's jail going to do?

Send a message that cars, particularly Range Rovers are lethal and need to be driven with appropriate care and attention.

Nah, not really. Other people going to prison doesn't really send out any message. Prison should be about protecting the public from anti social people, not about sending ineffective messages.

I get the idea and understand the knee jerk reaction that spawned it, but 5 feet clearance is not feasible on many of the islands back roads, they just aren't wide enough, it effectively makes a cyclist wider than the average car. car drivers aren't going to follow a cyclist a few miles down a back road cos they can't legally get past but could pass and leave 4 feet of clearance no problem. and how/who is going to be getting a tape measure out at theses overtakes?? except in obvious close calls it will always be a he said she said with no actuals means of measurement. and if you can't overtake with less than 5 feet clearance can you come past travelling in the other direction closer than 5 feet?? it's a poorly thought out idea with the best of intent but only realistically practical on our wider roads where I don't think there is a problem anyway? especially if they made it a legal requirement for cyclists to travel single file at all times. I don't think single file would have had a bearing on the tragedy in KM though. another sledge hammer to crack a nut idea. impatient drivers is the root cause compounded by todays rush rush rush lifestyle.

The only thing that would struggle to give a 5ft gap would be a HGV/Bus, people should pass cyclists as if they were passing a car. I do and quite often cause about 6-7 car tailbacks until I find a safe place to overtake, only for me to overtake safely and the cars behind give about 2-3ft and cut in sharply. Education is key, anyone spotted overtaking like a knob should be forced to ride at least 1 mile on a busy road and see how vulnerable a cyclist really is.

Archived