Woman who killed cyclist gets suspended sentence

manxb&b

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6-7 car tailbacks

Lol.

Exactly its laughable at best, but yet I've been involved in a road rage incident after causing such a 'tail back' of 6-7 cars stuck behind a cyclist doing approx 25mph in a 30mph zone, I overtook once we went into a 40mph zone, apparently I should've overtook in the 30mph zone as the cyclist was 'only going slow' and there was 'plenty of room' despite oncoming cars approaching the whole time and I did not have the space inbetween cars to overtake at 30mph.

This http://www.safecyclingiom.com launched in wake of case. Hope it succeeds.

I get the idea and understand the knee jerk reaction that spawned it, but 5 feet clearance is not feasible on many of the islands back roads, they just aren't wide enough, it effectively makes a cyclist wider than the average car. car drivers aren't going to follow a cyclist a few miles down a back road cos they can't legally get past but could pass and leave 4 feet of clearance no problem. and how/who is going to be getting a tape measure out at theses overtakes?? except in obvious close calls it will always be a he said she said with no actuals means of measurement. and if you can't overtake with less than 5 feet clearance can you come past travelling in the other direction closer than 5 feet?? it's a poorly thought out idea with the best of intent but only realistically practical on our wider roads where I don't think there is a problem anyway? especially if they made it a legal requirement for cyclists to travel single file at all times. I don't think single file would have had a bearing on the tragedy in KM though. another sledge hammer to crack a nut idea. impatient drivers is the root cause compounded by todays rush rush rush lifestyle.

The only thing that would struggle to give a 5ft gap would be a HGV/Bus, people should pass cyclists as if they were passing a car. I do and quite often cause about 6-7 car tailbacks until I find a safe place to overtake, only for me to overtake safely and the cars behind give about 2-3ft and cut in sharply. Education is key, anyone spotted overtaking like a knob should be forced to ride at least 1 mile on a busy road and see how vulnerable a cyclist really is.

there aren't many places on the druidale road where you could pass a cyclist giving them 5 feet clearance in an average car.

In this news article http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_384712.html it says the Range Rover dragged the cyclist underneath until it crashed into a wall which was described as 'a moment of carlessness'

Also, quote 'The driver also admitted her driving before entering the village had been erratic.'

Sounds like a bit more than 'a moment of carelessness carelessness' to me.

Exactly its laughable at best, but yet I've been involved in a road rage incident after causing such a 'tail back' of 6-7 cars stuck behind a cyclist doing approx 25mph in a 30mph zone, I overtook once we went into a 40mph zone, apparently I should've overtook in the 30mph zone as the cyclist was 'only going slow' and there was 'plenty of room' despite oncoming cars approaching the whole time and I did not have the space inbetween cars to overtake at 30mph.

I must admit I did see a proper tailback while driving out of Onchan yesterday or maybe the day before, I forget now. It was caused by two blokes on those flat cycle type things, they're either four wheels or three, with the user's legs pointing forward.* Stupid fucking novelties if you ask me, proper slow too. They were coming up the Whitebridge and the traffic was solid to at least the LA. And I did think maybe they should pull over and let everyone through.

*Something along these lines.....

I must admit I did see a proper tailback while driving out of Onchan yesterday or maybe the day before, I forget now. It was caused by two blokes on those flat cycle type things, they're either four wheels or three, with the user's legs pointing forward.* Stupid fucking novelties if you ask me, proper slow too. They were coming up the Whitebridge and the traffic was solid to at least the LA. And I did think maybe they should pull over and let everyone through.

*Something along these lines.....

But I'll place a bet if they were on bicycles instead people would've just 'nipped' past them giving them perhaps 2ft a best. The best solution was for these riders to either leave a gap big enough between themselves to leave a car to pull in or to pull over and let people past.

The chap who was driving the car that killed the lady on a motorbike at Hillberry a few years ago seemed to get off lightly.

We have mostly all nearly forgotten about that one, and it looks like the internets have been purged of all references, I can't find a link.

I can think of worse than that one.

And the twat involved still thinks he's God's gift to driving. Should've been shot.

Nah, not really. Other people going to prison doesn't really send out any message. Prison should be about protecting the public from anti social people, not about sending ineffective messages.

Yes, fair punt regarding custodial, but a punishment is a deterrent and in my view this (and other) driving offences should be punished more severely. Something like a lifetime driving ban, bigger fine, compo for the family. Something to drive home the message that you're driving a lethal device and you have to take more care.

Nah, not really. Other people going to prison doesn't really send out any message. Prison should be about protecting the public from anti social people, not about sending ineffective messages.

Yes, fair punt regarding custodial, but a punishment is a deterrent and in my view this (and other) driving offences should be punished more severely. Something like a lifetime driving ban, bigger fine, compo for the family. Something to drive home the message that you're driving a lethal device and you have to take more care.

My particular favourite part is the £500 fine given that she both falsely claimed legal aid, and committed perjury.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but the problem is that nobody really believes that they are a dodgy driver, it's always somebody else. And the fact is tragic incidents like these are actually rare and in a way, it's bad luck if you happen to be the driver involved in one. Especially on the Isle of Man where the government promotes and encourages dangerous driving. The only time the message will truly get home is when it sinks in after an incident and by those involved in that incident. By which time it's too late.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but the problem is that nobody really believes that they are a dodgy driver, it's always somebody else. And the fact is tragic incidents like these are actually rare and in a way, it's bad luck if you happen to be the driver involved in one. Especially on the Isle of Man where the government promotes and encourages dangerous driving. The only time the message will truly get home is when it sinks in after an incident and by those involved in that incident. By which time it's too late.

I don't think it's anything to do with luck. It's to do with being a courteous driver.

I don't think it's anything to do with luck. It's to do with being a courteous driver.

And no doubt you're an amazing driver. Or are you? Maybe you've just been lucky..... cool.png

Depends how you qualify "amazing". I probably have an above average understanding of grip levels and cornering lines. But that shouldn't really have any use on the road, if you're doing speeds where you need to be thinking about that you're driving too quickly and should book a track day instead.

I try to be observant and leave more space than necessary to react to stuff. Obviously you can't account for everything, but thinking about what could potentially require reacting to is a good idea.

I think the main thing that would help road safety is if people would slow down through junctions. Junctions are accident black spots, if you're gonna slow down somewhere it doesn't take a genius to work out where.

And observant

Biggest think I took away from the IAM course was observation.

None of that "he came out of nowhere" crap when really you weren't really looking properly.

Helix , pleased to see you post that you give folk plenty of room , one problem I have , as an old boy on vintage machinery , is that some motorists ( particularly idiots in big red Ferrari's) and some modern motorcyclists who overtake just before a road junction and immediately 'chop in' and brake heavily as they assume that all other road vehicles have brakes as efficient as their own.

Agree with Old Git that observation and anticipation are paramount particularly when on a bike and other road users do "U" turns on the prom .

If I had a pound for every time another driver has apologised saying "Sorry mate, never saw you " I'd have a full wallet , mind you the majority seem to think it's somehow my fault, presumably for being on the roadbiggrin.png

Archived