Woman who killed cyclist gets suspended sentence

manxb&b

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riding a motorcycle at 100 mph on a poxy little country road like the coast road at Bulgham is a bit like that. Due care might be subjective I suppose. Solid argument for a national limit.

Do you have evidence of that or are you just shit stirring?

Ok, with your apparent failure to respond to my post I'll answer anyway. If you are seeking evidence that this case supplies a solid argument for a national limit, then I don't have any as it is clearly just my opinion. If however you are seeking evidence of riding at 100 mph on the coast road at Bulgham then I refer you to the latest Isle of Man Courier ie, the Friday November 20, 2015 edition, and more specifically the report on the case on page 2. And I quote from that article,

James Ricketts was attempting to perform a three-point turn when he manoeuvred across the path of Neil Walker's approaching motorcycle on the A2 near the Bulgham Rocks on August 6, 2014.

Passing sentence, Deemster Peter Birkett told 51-year-old Ricketts: 'You attempted a three-point turn in the car on the A2 between Ramsey and Laxey. By this manner you blocked the path of any traffic travelling in the opposite direction.

'It would have been a reasonable thing to do if the road had been clear but it was not. Travelling on his motorcycle in the opposite direction, albeit at some speed, was Neil Walker. He had no chance. He did not see you until the last minute. Your careless driving was in my judgement the principal cause of this accident.

'Tragically it led to the death of Mr Walker, a decent, popular and hard working man and nothing I can do can lessen the grief of his family and friends; nothing I can say can mitigate their sense of loss.

'The facts are simple. James Ricketts turned on a main road. There must have been safer places than where you chose to turn. It was the start of a long straight stretch.

'You believed the road was clear but it was not. There was an approaching motorcycle. You manoeuvred your vehicle so it was across the road, blocking the north-bound carriagewayand Mr Ricketts lost his life.*

'You simply could not have been keeping a proper look-out for other road users. If you had been looking properly you surely would have seen him. Your failure to do so was the principal cause of this accident and you must share the greater responsibility for this accident having occurred.

'Mr Walker was riding at speed, probably in the order of 100mph and this meant he was travelling too fast to take any evasive action and the collision was inevitable. '

Deemster Birkett said he did not accept it was simply 'momentary inattention' as Ricketts' advocate had claimed.

Passing sentence was, he said, an 'unenviable task'.

* Yes, I know Mr Ricketts didn't lose his life, I have just replicated this extract from the actual article so this and any other mistakes are just more of the usual questionable standards of Isle of Man Newspapers. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry, but mixing Kate's death and Walker's death in one thread, as though they are equivalent is distasteful.

Kate is/was a true victim. Totally innocent of her own death.

FWIW Thompson should've gone to prison. And had her licence permanently revoked.

I'm sorry, but mixing Kate's death and Walker's death in one thread, as though they are equivalent is distasteful.

FWIW Thompson should've gone to prison. And had her licence permanently revoked.

The most distasteful thing in this thread is your post. Neil was riding within the law, on a straight bit of road in good conditions and good visability. Your post suggests that although he was given absolutely no chance at avoiding a collision, you feel he was not innocent of his own death and was not a true victim. I'm guessing that you knew Kate and feel very strongly about yet another miscarraige of justice, and with total justification, but surely that doesn't justify placing the value of one life above another.

He could've waited to turn around at Dhoon car park, this is much the same as the person who did a 3 point turn at fairy bridge and cost someone their life.

The main difference being (if Iremember correctly) the driver in the Fairy Bridge incident got away scott free. I think he was an american prosecuting attorney in a hire car. Talk about looking after your own.

The most distasteful thing in this thread is your post. Neil was riding within the law, on a straight bit of road in good conditions and good visability. Your post suggests that although he was given absolutely no chance at avoiding a collision, you feel he was not innocent of his own death and was not a true victim. I'm guessing that you knew Kate and feel very strongly about yet another miscarraige of justice, and with total justification, but surely that doesn't justify placing the value of one life above another.

I don't think anybody is trying to be distasteful at all.

I think what is being pointed out is both the bikers who died tragically were locals who knew the roads well.

I gave up riding motorbikes when I got pissed off thinking that every corner had something around it and that every car and van driver was going to pull out in front of me.

I lost count of the amount of times I either went over the bars, slid off or hit the vehicle that did not see me.

I was lucky I suppose and that was 30 years ago. There is far too much traffic on the roads these days to have a good blast.

Drivers do make mistakes, but as much as I loved riding bikes, I will never get back on one.

Lots of us have been very close to someone who has died on the roads and they are all tragic losses.

Archived