Work Permit Not Working

Norville Rogers

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/skelly-why-relaxing-work-permit-rules-will-be-good-for-the-isle-of-man-1-7374259

I do not believe this is a step in the right direction for the indiginous population or the IOM. Simply put we are already overun with imported economic migrants and despite what the IOM Chamber of Commerce wishes enough is enough.

The indiginous population already fights for business with imported flotsom and jetsom who appear to settle here from anywhere with impunity and start whatever business they like come what may. The work permit system already a joke needs strengthened not weakened to suit the needs of a select few. Unless your skill is essential then if you are not manx or married to a manxperson you cannot work for 5 years and must support yourself before a work permit can be applied for. Furthermore if you are an import and convicted of an imprisonable offence you are deported forthwith on release.

The indiginous population already depleted and a minority need to start voicing their dissaproval over the current situation and start re balancing things in our favour to suit us not imported business interests. I am a second class citizen in my own country and its not good enough.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The right to work in the UK should reciprocally for Manx workers until they have lived across for 5 years.

Cheeky entrepreneurs coming over here starting businesses to employ Manxies, the bastards .

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/skelly-why-relaxing-work-permit-rules-will-be-good-for-the-isle-of-man-1-7374259

I do not believe this is a step in the right direction for the indiginous population or the IOM. Simply put we are already overun with imported economic migrants and despite what the IOM Chamber of Commerce wishes enough is enough.

The indiginous population already fights for business with imported flotsom and jetsom who appear to settle here from anywhere with impunity and start whatever business they like come what may. The work permit system already a joke needs strengthened not weakened to suit the needs of a select few. Unless your skill is essential then if you are not manx or married to a manxperson you cannot work for 5 years and must support yourself before a work permit can be applied for. Furthermore if you are an import and convicted of an imprisonable offence you are deported forthwith on release.

The indiginous population already depleted and a minority need to start voicing their dissaproval over the current situation and start re balancing things in our favour to suit us not imported business interests. I am a second class citizen in my own country and its not good enough.

Bollocks. The legislation is toothless and ineffective as it is. Do you want to be a protected species like a Manx fucking Panda? The focus should be on educating and up skilling Manx people so they can compete fairly with all off Island applicants. Not protecting them like special needs job applicants through draconian work permit legislation. The only people who have a valid complaint are those with the Manx stamp in their passport as they have no equivalent employment rights in the EU unlike EU candidates arriving here who can just move here and start working provided they get a permit (which lets face it is usually a piece of piss).

I'm actually Manx and I would like them all to feck off. On the other hand, I'd like to be able to work in the UK whenever I please.

So I'm being a bit unfair!

Anyone - even with the Manx stamp - can reside and work in the UK so that is reciprocal. If you have the stamp you have no automatic right to reside or work in the EU. That is unfair when anyone from the EU can settle here and be treated as an EU citizen from an employment perspective. That is the only unfair bit to me. But let's face it the work permit legislation isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway. The only people I have ever seen pull the work permit card on job offers have been twats, and most of them haven't been Manx but people who have been here more than five years who were pissed off because someone else got a job over them. I have never once seen someone I would regard as a proper Manx worker ever try to use it to get a decision overruled.

The right to work in the UK should reciprocally for Manx workers until they have lived across for 5 years.

You should try moving 70 million odd Manxies over there & see how you get on.

I have nothing against immigration, it has many benefits. In the last 30 years we have seen immigration to the extent that the Manx are now a minority in their own land, not only that, virtually all the immigration is from the same place.

So having sold any culture or identity we had left, after 30 years where are we? Skint. Is the ordinary person in the street any better off? Well they are now living on the street because they have no chance of affording a house here.

Ofcourse the real beneficiaries of the last 30 years (rich businesses & individuals including senior civil servants and politicians) not only want to see it continue but want to up the pace - greed is like that.

So what do they do? Import more people "it's the only way to grow the economy and meet pension commitments". Well here's the thing - what happens when these new workers retire? How do we pay their pensions? Import more people? The place will look like Hong Kong before they realise it isn't working.

The IOM is not a PLC. There is (still) a lot more to this place than profit. Businesses have had free reign of this place for over 30 years and the promised riches from them are yet to materialise. The last thing we need is to fling open the doors and let them build wherever they want.

Business has been heavily subsidised here for long enough to the detriment of many aspect of island life - if the free market really works lets stop pouring money into it & see how it gets on.

But yeah, I just feel powerless to stop people coming in to the island and taking away my cultural heritage. I think compensation in the region of £75,000 a year in order to alleviate this burden on me is required.

Short version: It sucks, we can't do a thing about it except moan, and we just have to suck it up unless we want to commit crimes to stop it.

I did and then got the usual - Daily Mail - backwards - racist - gene pool etc - comments.Racism and bigotry apparently only works in one direction and yet no one seems able to come up with other countries where the immigrants outnumber the local pop. The best someone did was Jersey and as I pointed out we`ll be getting an extra 15,000 - 20,000 people in theory.

Cheeky entrepreneurs coming over here starting businesses to employ Manxies, the bastards .

Depends on the business, not seeing a whole lot of Manxies in construction, E-gaming etc.

Bollocks. The legislation is toothless and ineffective as it is. Do you want to be a protected species like a Manx fucking Panda? The focus should be on educating and up skilling Manx people so they can compete fairly with all off Island applicants. Not protecting them like special needs job applicants through draconian work permit legislation. The only people who have a valid complaint are those with the Manx stamp in their passport as they have no equivalent employment rights in the EU unlike EU candidates arriving here who can just move here and start working provided they get a permit (which lets face it is usually a piece of piss).

Some protection would be nice, so we get to exist in the future after the proposed population increase we`ll be about a third of the population, long term that`s us pretty much done and dusted.

Being 'manx' is just an accident of birth. Not being bright enough to get a job on your own island of birth isn't. If the island is to survive it needs intelligent, educated entrepreneurs here to push the island forward, regardless of their accident of birthplace.

Archived