Work Permit Not Working

Norville Rogers

Or alternatively, the mail doing their masters turn for community discord

That would be the knee jerk reaction of many about the Mail. It is not the serious newspaper it once was, I agree, but here it is simply presenting the full facts whilst the BBC, that world paragon of respected journalism, conspires to hide the truth about these crimes time after time after time. This is undeniable. Why? It can only be, as I said before, that they think they are doing their bit for community cohesion. That isn't in their remit anyway, but you certainly don't do it by deliberately trying to hide the truth and you bring into disrepute anything else you present as fact, because the intelligent observer will naturally be wondering what else you are concealing.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lagman! Do I beleive that Karran was genuine? Well, yes but like a lot of Peter's ideas they are well meant but rarely practical and as I said they were content to let him have his day.

It was like those distraction muggings when your attention is drawn away and someone gets your PIN or lifts your wallet or switches your IPhone etc..

They had no intention of making the legislation go the whole way but it did get Royal Assent and remains a potential measure but the Island cannot afford to tell the increasingly globalised world that it is closed for business..especially after the VAT loss.

When I say there is no Manx passport I meant Manx passport as in "Manx Citizen" ..The British Islands passport is commonly called a "Manx Passport" but the holders are British citizens and those with no direct established connection to the UK may have "that stamp"..

Apparently it says "European Union" on the front because although the Island is not fully in the EU holders of the British Islands passports are full British Citizens and also EU Citizens as an adjunct to their British status following EU treaty developments over the years...Excepted are those with that stamp denying in theory the right to employment and Establishment in the EU other than when in the UK.

I am advised that these days many EU member states ignore "that stamp" and for the sake of simplcity treat affected persons as if they are A OK EU fully paid up Brits/UK Nationals...This is the way it is all going folks!...

I meant that those with "that stamp" are full EU Citizens as an adjunct to their British aka "Manx Passports" but not fully so under protocol 3...They are still full EU Citizens whatever that means in every other sense

One of the Island's other problems is that (Last I looked) it is not a member of the European Economic Area which evolved from the old EFTA or European Free Trade Association..This I think has a bearing on matters health and other areas as well as shadowing the relationship with "Europe" under Protocol 3

The issue of Control of Employment and the Residency Acts becomes rather a moot point if we are talking about increasing the population by 15-20,000. I believe, as someone said yesterday, that this is a case of trying to fit the size of the population to the size of the government instead of the other way round, and it stinks.

Having said that, however, if we intend to do it, is it likely to happen? The previous surge in population was on the back of the burgeoning international finance sector and government initiatives didn't have a great deal to do with that. Prior to that boom taking off the population had declined and this week Allan Bell tells us we now have 800 less people in work than we had three years ago. Since there is no obvious trend such as mass tourism or offshore finance getting underway, the pertinent question is whether the government has the power to effect an increase of 25% in the population simply by its own entrepreneurial stimulation of niche sectors of the Manx economy. It's a tall order at the very least.

When I say there is no Manx passport I meant Manx passport as in "Manx Citizen" ..The British Islands passport is commonly called a "Manx Passport" but the holders are British citizens and those with no direct established connection to the UK may have "that stamp"..

Apparently it says "European Union" on the front because although the Island is not fully in the EU holders of the British Islands passports are full British Citizens and also EU Citizens as an adjunct to their British status following EU treaty developments over the years...Excepted are those with that stamp denying in theory the right to employment and Establishment in the EU other than when in the UK.

I am advised that these days many EU member states ignore "that stamp" and for the sake of simplcity treat affected persons as if they are A OK EU fully paid up Brits/UK Nationals...This is the way it is all going folks!...

I meant that those with "that stamp" are full EU Citizens as an adjunct to their British aka "Manx Passports" but not fully so under protocol 3...They are still full EU Citizens whatever that means in every other sense
No one with the 'stamp' a.k.a islander status will have problems in the UK. The problem comes while travelling overseas and if you have to apply for a visa for a country where english is not a common language or even while entering the country

http://m.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/onchan-man-s-romanian-ordeal-at-passport-control-1-1749826

Similarly if your spouse is non EU then he/she will need a schengen visa to go to other countries in the EU. If you have EU rights your spouse gets the visa without a fee and you don't need much paperwork.

The French embassy charged visa fees for a non EU spouse of a British citizen from the Isle of Man (British citizen with Islander status) last year. The reason was that he did not have EU rights. I'm not sure if every country does the same or whether they were just behaving as the French do.

Being 'manx' is just an accident of birth. Not being bright enough to get a job on your own island of birth isn't. If the island is to survive it needs intelligent, educated entrepreneurs here to push the island forward, regardless of their accident of birthplace.

Being born anywhere is just an accident of birth, it doesn't stop other countries attempting to protect its indigenous workforce and it wouldn't lead to the island not surviving if we continued to do it here.

I think the idea of encouraging population growth is flawed economically and in many other ways and is likely to result in a further abundance wheni's who think they are intelligent and educated rather than actually being so and having no more regard for their new home and its people than how much tax they can get away without paying.

You don't have to look far to find endless examples of this. Your own contributions to this forum have relentlessly criticised just about everything to do with Manx life and its people.

I refuse to believe that importing self important, whinging wankers such as yourself or Pierre the Moon has even the slightest positive effect on the economy. The last thing this Island needs is another 15-20K English economic migrants who aren't bright enough to get a job in their country of birth or have the intelligence or grace to appreciate their new found home.

whether they were just behaving as the French do.

Not just the French. A lot of it is down to the fact that they have never heard of the Isle of Man never mind knowing where it is or its exact status in Europe.

We got stopped in the queue to board a flight from Chania (Crete) to Marseille last October because we had stupidly chosen Isle of Man as the place of residence from the pull down list on the airlines website when booking. This caused great consternation at check in and we had to stand to one side whilst everyone else boarded. When they saw European Union on the front of the passport it was all smiles and off we went unhindered.

I'll be selecting UK in future (by accident of course).

I hope that the European Union bit is never removed from the Isle of Man issued (though now printed in the UK) passport.

It has saved me from similar situations several times .

In fact I sent a query to the UK home office and asked them if they could issue me a United Kingdom passport due to the problem mentioned .

The answer was that they cannot do that unless I am in the UK . However I could apply for renewal of my passport at any time I was in the UK provided I was there for at least 4 weeks ( might be wrong here). I would then get a Passport similar to the ones issued in the UK but as far as they were aware, It would still carry the Islander status stamp.

As other posters mentioned, I was also told that I had to be resident in the UK for 5 years if I wanted to lose the Islander status stamp.

Being 'manx' is just an accident of birth. Not being bright enough to get a job on your own island of birth isn't. If the island is to survive it needs intelligent, educated entrepreneurs here to push the island forward, regardless of their accident of birthplace.

Being born anywhere is just an accident of birth, it doesn't stop other countries attempting to protect its indigenous workforce and it wouldn't lead to the island not surviving if we continued to do it here.

I think the idea of encouraging population growth is flawed economically and in many other ways and is likely to result in a further abundance wheni's who think they are intelligent and educated rather than actually being so and having no more regard for their new home and its people than how much tax they can get away without paying.

You don't have to look far to find endless examples of this. Your own contributions to this forum have relentlessly criticised just about everything to do with Manx life and its people.

I refuse to believe that importing self important, whinging wankers such as yourself or Pierre the Moon has even the slightest positive effect on the economy. The last thing this Island needs is another 15-20K English economic migrants who aren't bright enough to get a job in their country of birth or have the intelligence or grace to appreciate their new found home.

I don't necessarily advocate mass immigration here any more than you do. However if the island is really going to survive and thrive then yes I do believe it needs to import more intelligent, educated and entrepreneurial economic migrants, from wherever they come from.

The issue is there isn't a business case for them coming here. There is no offshore industry on the horizon, to the best of my knowledge, that would fill the funding gap our politicians need to keep them and their mates in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

Also, contrary to your beliefs, I don't hate everything Manx. I've chosen to live here and would gladly stay and raise my family here if I was certain our leaders were capable of steering the ship in the right direction. The fact however is they are a bunch of incapable, illiterate, cerebrally-challenged, selfish fools who either can't see they are dragging the island under, can't be arsed either way or have no clue how to change things without foregoing their seat on the gravy train.

Their whole rationale so far is a sign of things to come. No real cost cutting and raising of taxes which doesn't even scratch the surface. Instead of slashing the size and cost of government liabilities and reducing taxes to stimulate the island economy, their policies are back to front, which will end badly.

I'd love to be optimistic and plan for a future here for my family as I have grown to love the place, but this ridiculous plan for more people just to justify their own largesse is the biggest slap in face of the man in the street and sadly tells you everything you need to know about the attitude of the people who govern us.

The Manx are as intelligent and savvy as any other race - it's just that our government has failed to invest in training our young people to internationally recognised qualifications except in the limited range of courses that the IOM College offers. Most of the most popular courses are over subscribed and prospective students have no other college or training provider to fall back on for their plan B or C as they do in the UK. Your post is actually extremely insulting to us Manx!

Or alternatively, the mail doing their masters turn for community discord

That would be the knee jerk reaction of many about the Mail. It is not the serious newspaper it once was, I agree, but here it is simply presenting the full facts whilst the BBC, that world paragon of respected journalism, conspires to hide the truth about these crimes time after time after time. This is undeniable. Why? It can only be, as I said before, that they think they are doing their bit for community cohesion. That isn't in their remit anyway, but you certainly don't do it by deliberately trying to hide the truth and you bring into disrepute anything else you present as fact, because the intelligent observer will naturally be wondering what else you are concealing.

Now this is what I was getting at before, compared to the BBC version it is by far the more truthful report.

BBC are shaping the news, leaving out details they don`t like or don`t conform to their ideology

To an extent so is the Mail but which is nearer the truth?

The BBC version is like a communist broadcast now, you just can not trust them to give an honest, truthful version of a news item anymore without censorship.

The Manx are as intelligent and savvy as any other race - it's just that our government has failed to invest in training our young people to internationally recognised qualifications except in the limited range of courses that the IOM College offers. Most of the most popular courses are over subscribed and prospective students have no other college or training provider to fall back on for their plan B or C as they do in the UK. Your post is actually extremely insulting to us Manx!

Wow people are riding Lxxx really hard today.

I don't necessarily advocate mass immigration here any more than you do. However if the island is really going to survive and thrive then yes I do believe it needs to import more intelligent, educated and entrepreneurial economic migrants, from wherever they come from.

The issue is there isn't a business case for them coming here. There is no offshore industry on the horizon, to the best of my knowledge, that would fill the funding gap our politicians need to keep them and their mates in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

Also, contrary to your beliefs, I don't hate everything Manx. I've chosen to live here and would gladly stay and raise my family here if I was certain our leaders were capable of steering the ship in the right direction. The fact however is they are a bunch of incapable, illiterate, cerebrally-challenged, selfish fools who either can't see they are dragging the island under, can't be arsed either way or have no clue how to change things without foregoing their seat on the gravy train.

Their whole rationale so far is a sign of things to come. No real cost cutting and raising of taxes which doesn't even scratch the surface. Instead of slashing the size and cost of government liabilities and reducing taxes to stimulate the island economy, their policies are back to front, which will end badly.

I'd love to be optimistic and plan for a future here for my family as I have grown to love the place, but this ridiculous plan for more people just to justify their own largesse is the biggest slap in face of the man in the street and sadly tells you everything you need to know about the attitude of the people who govern us.

A lot of them will be gone next year though on the plus side, it depends how much damage they can do before then.

entrepreneurs is a good idea, 15,000 extra people - I don`t see that ending well for anyone - us,them, anyone in between

If they can change the work permit system that easily surely we can change it back next year if we are getting overwhelmed.

Archived